Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blown head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  thechiller 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just received news that my 1994 SLS head gaskets are blown. With only 75,000 miles on it. I found a mechanic that will do the repair for about $2,000. But I don't know if its worth it due to possible future expensive repairs. I'm looking into trading my vehicle in. I'll appreciate any advice about this.

#3 ·
I recently ran into thiss problem with my 94 STS my mechanic put epoxy in the cooling system and put it on the pressure machine to push it through the system into where it was leaking and this solved my problem. If you are taking it to the dealership they are just looking to screw you over.

#5 ·
dwight.j.carter said:
I recently ran into thiss problem with my 94 STS my mechanic put epoxy in the cooling system and put it on the pressure machine to push it through the system into where it was leaking and this solved my problem. If you are taking it to the dealership they are just looking to screw you over.
This is obviously a bunch of bullshit.

If you try this you are sillier than "dwight.j.carter".

I hope this suggestion was put forth in jest, but some people may not know this, and might follow this ridiculous comment and ruin an engine.

-George

#6 · (Edited)
sambo301 said:
Hey everyone, I just received news that my 1994 SLS head gaskets are blown. With only 75,000 miles on it. I found a mechanic that will do the repair for about $2,000. But I don't know if its worth it due to possible future expensive repairs. I'm looking into trading my vehicle in. I'll appreciate any advice about this.
You need to have the coolant system checked for:

Proper coolant mix (50/50)

Have you tested for hydrocarbons in the coolant yet?

Is the surge tank filled to within 1 1/2" to 2" from the top?

Pressure holding capabilities; is the surge cap holding properly?

Is the water pump belt in good condition?

Can the water pump tensioner put full tension on the belt? (is the travel restricted?)

Are the radiator and AC condenser clear of all debris? (Use a hose and squirt water from the engine side, toward the front end, to verify air will flow unrestricted.

Are you fans working properly? Single comes on at about 223 F; with the AC on both fans will operate.

If Your Head gaskets are bad:

Replace both sides.
Timesert all 20 head bolt holes! Helicoil's are not acceptable.

Have work done by someone experienced on working with the Northstar engine.

If you have leakage at the oil pan, replace the oil pan gasket when the engine is out.

Use thead sealant on all oil pan bolts and front cover bolts.

The engine must be removed so $2,000 is about right for a correctly repaired set of head gaskets, by a shop. Price can get up to $4,000 at dealerships.

-George

#7 ·
growe3 said:
This is obviously a bunch of bullshit.

If you try this you are sillier than "dwight.j.carter".

I hope this suggestion was put forth in jest, but some people may not know this, and might follow this ridiculous comment and ruin an engine.

-George
George is right everyone. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I recently had the misfortune of the same experience. The saga started with discharge back through the reservoir cap. Then an overheat situation. After a misdiagnosis of faulty water pump and associated repairs which added up to nearly $900 at the Caddy dealership in Little Rock, it turned out to be blown headgasket. The estimated cost for repair was $3700. If you can get it done by someone reputable at $2000, it would be a good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.