Hot Northstar - Please help ! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Hot Northstar - Please help ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So it is normal for cars with the analog temp gauge to go to the 5/8 mark sometimes? I have ...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: Hot Northstar - Please help !

So it is normal for cars with the analog temp gauge to go to the 5/8 mark sometimes? I have not driven my '98 yet so I am not familiar with that type. Too bad you can't add the eng. temp parameter to the DIC.

----------

Actually I remember Sub posting that he had a diagram of the analog temp gauge on his profile, so I just looked at it.... I had no idea that the normal range went so far above half.

----------

sts 03, here is Sub409's diagram in case you want to check it out...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-numbers.html

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    So it is normal for cars with the analog temp gauge to go to the 5/8 mark sometimes?
    Mine never budges off 12:00 for whatever that's worth.

My '94 Eldorado runs between 198-218 or so while in motion but will creep into the 225 range when idling... So on the analog gauge it would be approaching the 5/8 mark according to Sub's diagram.

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

I'll chime in about my '05. Exactly like Chris said on the last page, mine has popped slightly passed the 12 position before on hot days in stop and go traffic and will drop back down to 12 again. This never happens unless it's over 75 degrees outside and I'm in city traffic for an extended period. I've only noticed it on a total of three occasions. It's almost funny because if you keep your eye on the needle you can see it moving back in forth. The last time it happened I drove in city traffic almost non stop for a period of 4 hours in around 80 degree weather. The next morning I drove my normal route and the temp never went above 12 o'clock.

naif is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS

In mine, I've only ever seen it go one or two needle-widths above the middle with the engine running. I've seen up to the first tick mark after a turn off/hot soak for ~5 minutes (but then quickly coming down when the engine restarts).

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Remember: With some A/C function set in the HVAC, fans run in SLOW all the time, so unless it's 110 in El Paso you should see the gauge sit at just about 12:00. With the HVAC OFF fans are controlled by the ECT, so the normal cycle in heavy traffic would be between 12:00 and about the first tick past..... ~200 to 224 and back, as long as you were stuck in traffic.

If you have the urge, you can do the same thing in the driveway - pop the hood, HVAC OFF, engine idling. Cover the condenser with cardboard. Watch the coolant temp rise and note where, on your gauge, fans go to SLOW. If you persist, fans will go to FAST - then pull the cardboard.

I've been kicking around in my cheapy '98 ESC "project car "for the past 2 days. It is already in the 90's here. It stays at 12:00 unless idling still for 15 minutes or so... Then it creeps up to probably halfway between 12:00 and the 5/8 mark and goes back down immediately when I move. My A/C is not working because one of the lines is bad... But I also noticed that if I move my head way over to the left so I am looking at the gauge straight on, it is actually almost a needle width above 12:00 all of the time, but appears to be 12:00 when my head is in it's normal position.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

There are pictures in Northstar Performance forum sticky post : http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ling-fans.html

The gauge between 4/8 and 5/8 mark indicates 224 degrees f according to my scanner - and it's perfectly OK for a normal car to creep up to this point under heavy duty conditions(: hot ambient temperature with A/C on. The A/C condenser alone generates lots of heat - and it's no help when it becomes hotter outside) or electric fan operations(: goes low at 224f and fast at 236f, stops at 213f or 45+mph)

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    There are pictures in Northstar Performance forum sticky post : http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ling-fans.html

The gauge between 4/8 and 5/8 mark indicates 224 degrees f according to my scanner - and it's perfectly OK for a normal car to creep up to this point under heavy duty conditions(: hot ambient temperature with A/C on. The A/C condenser alone generates lots of heat - and it's no help when it becomes hotter outside) or electric fan operations(: goes low at 224f and fast at 236f, stops at 213f or 45+mph)
    Good to see you around! I've noticed you haven't been posting as much lately. Thanks for the link too... After reading that, I guess splitting hairs over a needle width is silly.

Good to see you around! I've noticed you haven't been posting as much lately. Thanks for the link too... After reading that, I guess splitting hairs over a needle width is silly.
    Things have been busy lately with everything....! Thanks. Yeah, do not worry about slight movements. It really irritated me when I first got my Seville, but I got used to it and now I use it as a sign of fan operation. The needle hasn't touched the 5/8 ever since the repair (except at the startup sweep!), but with Texas summer heat (A/C on full at 60F) and with the major construction on the busiest DFW highway, I saw the needle between 4/8 and 5/8 almost everyday last summer.

Well you are one of my "heroes" for successfully tackling that head gasket job at your age and level of experience. It makes me smile when I think of your "victory scream" when you started it up for the first time after the fix.

I hate that the DIC is not "hackable" like the earlier Devilles, but I suppose once you are used to your car and how the temps display that should be enough. I tend to keep the Temp on the DIC display on my '94 most of the time. I am not really "worried" about it, but let's face it, the issue is probably in the back of most of our minds.

Well you are one of my "heroes" for successfully tackling that head gasket job at your age and level of experience. It makes me smile when I think of your "victory scream" when you started it up for the first time after the fix.

I hate that the DIC is not "hackable" like the earlier Devilles, but I suppose once you are used to your car and how the temps display that should be enough. I tend to keep the Temp on the DIC display on my '94 most of the time. I am not really "worried" about it, but let's face it, the issue is probably in the back of most of our minds.
    I wasn't expecting it to start right up! I was so happy that day. That was after 8 hours of work just installing the drivetrain back in the car, changing all the fluids and trying to bleed brakes.

Funny how when I first got the Seville I was okay with my Deville going up to 222F occasionally but was not okay with the needle going slightly over half. I blame modern cars having dumb gauges, since I was so used to the temp gauges staying dead center between C and H no matter what the actual temp is. That kinda spoiled me and it's part of the reason why I was not happy with the fluctuation.
    Faded Crest and Faded Crest like this.

naif is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS

If you want to know about damped gauges, I drove a 2012 Ford recently (for work) - the middle tick on the gauge goes all the way from 55-105 degrees C (!)

^^^ Yeah, I think Fords are some of the worst for dampened gauges. My box truck is ridiculous, too..

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Today I was driving temps in the low 90's ,I was driving on the highway for about 15 minutes and when I got off the exit for my house my temp went to the one o'clock mark while I was driving not at a light.when I got home and turned the AC off then it went down.since I had the car it never went that high especially while driving , which lately I've notice someone the needle goes up and down a little while diving .is that ok for it to rise to one o'clock while driving and what temp is considered running Hot?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.