Hot Northstar - Please help ! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Hot Northstar - Please help ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Have you checked the drive belt tensioner? Sounds like a slipping drive belt could be a possibility....
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: hott northstar helpppppp!!!!!!!!

Have you checked the drive belt tensioner? Sounds like a slipping drive belt could be a possibility.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by tmaff7 View Post
    The fans work perfect the belt an tEnsioner is good shape today it got red hot n i shut it off its very frustrating the car will not get hott even at over 100 mph nothing stays in the middle
    You do know the water pump is driven by a small belt on the drivers side of the engine, not by the large serpentine belt on the power steering pump end. Totally different belt and tensioner.

tmaff7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 seville

ok i just checked the line that i think is the perge no flow maybe air?or water pump fail? lmfao help how do i bleed it?

----------

just checked the perge line no flow just air maybe w/p or block helppp how do i bleed it?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    This system is self purging...unless the purge line is clogged.

The purge line is the small diameter hose that runs between the upper part of the surge tank and the hollow bolt/nipple on the water pump cover. To check if it's clogged:

-With the engine OFF AND COOL, remove the surge tank cap.

-disconnect the purge line from the surge tank, and place it in the tank opening.

-Start the engine. There should be a slow, steady flow of coolant from the purge line. If not, either the line or the hollow bolt/nipple is clogged.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

The GM stop leak pellets will clog up the hollow bolt where the purge line attaches to the thermostat housing, if theres no flow, get a long nail (>2" long), or a peice of coat hanger wire, or a drill bit to clear out the inner diameter of that bolt. In really bad cases the hose itself gets plugged, so disconnect both end, and make sure you can blow thru the hose. Be caseful of the nipple on the surge tank, old plastic gets brittle with heat over time. Theres a small restrictor in the surge tank nipple, so if you go poking into it, make sure your doing it with something small enough that it doesn't tear the restrictor apart.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Usually, with a clogged purge, the temp will just rise & not come down and there should be no heat, almost the same symptoms as a broken WP belt.

tmaff7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 seville

What till you hear this lol changed the rad. Cap now no problem $4.50 imagine that

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by tmaff7 View Post
    What till you hear this lol changed the rad. Cap now no problem $4.50 imagine that
    Yep ^^^ With a bad radiator cap the coolant will boil at about 218 - 220 if it's a 50/50 mix. With a good 16 - 18 psi cap the coolant will not boil until above 265 degrees. At the maximum concentration recommended by GM - 70/30 - coolant at 18 psi boils at 276 degrees.

Considering that, with no A/C function set, fans do not even go to SLOW until 224, with no pressure in the system it's easy to boil the coolant during normal driving.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    My car does the usual at the light where the temperature goes a little past the half way mark then when I drive it goes back to the middle but yesterday when I started driving it didn't go back to the middle mark for about ten minutes of driving.is that normal or Sign ofsomething yet to come

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    My car does the usual at the light where the temperature goes a little past the half way mark then when I drive it goes back to the middle but yesterday when I started driving it didn't go back to the middle mark for about ten minutes of driving.is that normal or Sign ofsomething yet to come
    Hard to say... Have you done all the checks posted here?

naif is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS

Stop and go traffic, A/C on? I wouldn't worry.

Yep stop and go traffic AC was on it just went almost to the next line past the half way mark but It always go back when driving it did eventually after 5 -10 minutes driving.so its normal to stay a little past the middle even when driving giving the conditions

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that sounds normal... it should rise a bit then go back to the middle under normal operation in the summer (or warmer climates)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks: wiping sweat off of forehead:I just haven't seen it take that long to go back to middle while driving

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Clean the bugs and crap off the front of the A/C condenser (in front of the radiator) - carefully use a bristle brush vertically to brush out the fins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.