Hot Northstar - Please help ! - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Hot Northstar - Please help ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If the tensioner pulley was going bad would that cause the needle to go up some on the highway when ...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    If the tensioner pulley was going bad would that cause the needle to go up some on the highway when going up hills .also I hear this rattling/tapping noise sometimes when at highway speeds that sounds like it comes from the divers side engine compartment.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Not unless the pulley was seizing, and causing the belt to stop moving.

There's pretty much no way you'd hear a ticking pulley bearing from inside the cabin at highway speeds.

The rattling/tapping noise sounds more in the driver wheel area to me, but haven't heard it lately.if the tensioner/pulley its wobbling back n forth should I change it or inspected better.

I replaced the purge line and clamps the other day yesterday it started leaking from the meatal nipple side.should I tighten the clamp till where the hose can't spin around the nipple at all?I just don't want to over tighten it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Hot Northstar - Please help !

Inspect it. Maybe post a video of it if possible.

If it's leaking, tighten it.

Ok so I inspected the tensioner pulley again today it has very little play when I try to wiggle it and when I spin I didnt hear any clicking noises out rattling noise but I can hear it spinning.also this is off the topic but when I had the hood up I can hear like a ticking/tapping sound and a vacuum/suction sound.the vacuum sound like its coming from the manifold power steering pump area.the ticking tapping sound sounds like somewhere up to valve cover/ injector area.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The tensioner pulley should have NO side to side play and no clicking.

I believe we have discussed the vacuum noise at the front (passenger) end of the intake manifold. If you can locate the noise using a piece of hose stuck in your ear - stethoscope - then you may find it's the PCV dirty air line or an elbow.

2003 has the manifold overpressure valve at the throttlebody end.

The ticking/tapping noise - some busy mechanical noise is always normal, but when did you last change the oil and filter, and what did you use ?

Remember: there are 3 chains, 4 cams, 32 roller cam followers and 32 valves happily slapping around inside those cam covers.............as well as 8 fuel injectors ticking away. (2000 and later engines..........)

The pulley wasn't making a clicking sound , just sounded like a pulley being spun around a bolt is best I can describe .so if the vacuum noise is coming from the pvc dirty line /elbow does that need to be changed or is it normal.

If you can hear/see/feel a vacuum leak, it's not normal and it WILL cause various degrees of poor engine performance.

The suction noise sounds like it's coming from where the pvc line connects under the intake near the power steering pump.can I spray brake fluid or throttle body cleaner to see if the rpm increase or do I have to use carburetor cleaner?

I spayed carb cleaner rpm didn't go up.it sounds like it's coming from in the intake manifold, maybe it's just the normal sound of the air being sucked through the engine (can really only hear it with hood up.car seems to be to be driving fine overall , sometimes when I have to come to a quick stop the rpm drop down to close to 500 the go right back up?

Today I went on the highway and did a few wot in 2nd gear from 40mph to 70 mph after the last one the needle went up just before the first tic.as soon as I put it back in d the needle went back to the middle , on northstar performance it says after doing a few fast runs to 70 mph the needle shouldn't go past the 5\8 mark.this is to test for head gasket leak .remind you it went right before the first tic and as soon as put back in d it went right back to middle.is this normal for the needle to rise some when doing wot's in 2nd on a Hot day with a/c on?

Is it normal for you to sweat a bit during a dead run in 100 degree temperatures ?

If you're going to do a few WOT's or any crazy maneuvers involving maximum engine performance, turn off the A/C and any accessories - ANY accessories - under maximum performance conditions the engine has enough work to do without keeping you cool.

Thanks yeah I was wondering of I should of turned the AC off .speaking of the AC does it lower engine performance and mpg when in use?

Of course. The compressor uses 2 - 5 HP any time it's running as well as increasing the electrical load on the alternator and the heat load on the cooling system. It takes gasoline to supply that lost HP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.