01 STS Periodic No Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 01 STS Periodic No Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Have a 2001 Cadillac STS with the 4.6L..here is the issue..can start it 5 times..starts and runs just fine..the next ...
    SunsetRod is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Deville

Unhappy 01 STS Periodic No Start

Have a 2001 Cadillac STS with the 4.6L..here is the issue..can start it 5 times..starts and runs just fine..the next time you might turn the key..and nothing. Would describe as no power to ignition system. Yes, PCM, relays have been tested. No codes. Cadillac dealer couldnt even get it to act up. Help..I think it has to do with the security system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 01 STS Periodic No Start

You're in the wrong forum. This one is for AWD/RWD cars. You want the old Seville sidewinder forum that's down the page.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

THanks..sorry..have looked and looked through and really havent seen the older sts site. will oviously keep looking.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Describe what you mean by "nothing". Does everything electrical work but the engine doesn't crank? Nothing electrical at all functions?

To clarify, there is no "older STS". The '05+ Cadillac STS is its own model. The '88-'04 STS badge is essentially a Seville trim level, it stands for Seville Touring Sedan. The correct forum for your car is the Eldorado/Seville forum.

When you turn the key over there are no lights, no sounds..just a black instrument panel. Its baffling. It doesnt happen all the time.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetRod View Post
    When you turn the key over there are no lights, no sounds..just a black instrument panel. Its baffling. It doesnt happen all the time.
    Can we standardize some terminolgy here?

With the key in the ON position, do you have a normal DIC display?

Does "when you turn the key over" mean holding the key in the START position?
    Most car makers disable accessory circuits during engine START in order to make all the battery energy available for the starter and the engine controls.

"It doesnt happen all the time". Does that mean the engine fails to crank and start once every twenty attempts? Or once in ten attempts? Or....?

Okay..I started car normally. I let it warm up. I turned key to off position. Restarted. Shut off. I did this 4 times. On the fifth time I turned key to on position. The instrument panel was black, the car seemed to have no electrical power to it what so ever. I got out. locked door. reopened door with key. put key into ignition. turned key to on position. it started. The only thing I noticed was the security light would flash. I then shut the car off. restarted. shut off. and again tried to start. turned key to on position. Instrument panel black. no power to it what so ever. Car sat over night. this morning. have restarted. no problems. its very sporatic and it has been to a dealer. they were unable to diagnose as it didnt do a no start while there. My personal thoughts..its a glitch in the security.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Do you have another key?

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

The flashing security light is a revelation.

Get a Q-tip & alcohol and clean the shallow key chip contact inside the key slot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.