eldorado interior panels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, eldorado interior panels in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1997 eldorado with a green interior and the rear side panels are warping and seperating from the ...
    Patrick Regan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille

eldorado interior panels

I have a 1997 eldorado with a green interior and the rear side panels are warping and seperating from the sides of the interior- does anyone know if these parts are available nos/factory or am i doomed to the junkyards??
    thank you for any information and help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: eldorado interior panels

GREEN INTERIOR?????
    I have to see a picture of that. As for the panels, NOS if you are lucky (eBay) if not junkyards.

Spacemankif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

Give GM Parts Direct a look. Not cheap... I don't see the point of installing something used that's only slightly better. Our interiors shrink with age, it's inevitable. Unfortunately. New old stock that hasn't been affected by the environment personally is the best bet.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

PICS!!! I don't recall ever seeing green... Oh, and welcome to the Eldorado warped panel club.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Ive seen the green interior in Sevilles, personally I love it.

peduncan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC

I have the same problem with my 97 Eldorado. Quite a while ago I asked about this problem and the very knowledgeable former member known as the guru gave me an extensive reply. Unfortunatly all of his posts have been deleted but I was able to find this reply. I still have not attempted to fix mine but it is still a project for someday.

rbatt2
    12-29-04, 04:34 PM
    Hi,
    I have got the same problem on my 97 Eldorado with only 25.000 miles on it. I have currently removed the rear quarter trim panels, and are uncertain what to do with them. Using the wrong glue or procedure might make it worse to repair them correctly later, so any experience with this task would be apprechiated. Can anyone confirm if there is a service bulletin on this subject ?

There is indeed a TSB from Cadillac addressing warping/separating of the plastic trim pieces around the side and rear windows in the rear passenger compartment of the last generation Eldorado. I believe there is a kit available from GM to re-anchor/re-mount these trim pieces which are quite large. The trim in my 2002 Eldorado was replaced under warranty by the dealer when the car was about a year old due to this issue.

I hope this may be of help to you.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

I have removed the entire interior of my 2001 Eldo, seats, console, carpets,door panels, trim pieces, dash,and rear panels, along with the rear shelf and light. Everything except the headliner. As I did it I ordered all new clips as the ones I removed were usually damaged. Also, you have to be vigilant and quite knowledgeable as there is so much nylon/plastic, that you can destroy without a forewarning.

Once you have everything out, CLEAN, do the leather treatment, and photograph EVERYTHING in EVERY WAY!!!

I Dynamated the floor pan and part of the side walls - man, this car has a quiet ride now.

You will find the rear panels are solid, and made with vinyl over foam and plastic or perhaps fibeglass. Fix what needs fixing aand when you replace everything, take your time, do it in the correct order (RTFM), and again, use new clips. And photograph every step from every angle. Digital photos are cheap, and you will will reveiw them often if you keep the car.

Plastics (remember the Graduate?) shrink with age, harden when exposed to thinks like body oil, evaporate and crumble. Leather will last forever unless mistreated, exposed to heat, aand UV light. So use treatments regularly to help prolong the enevitable.

I noticed some guys at cars shows were using "near leather" of something like that which is cheaper that leather and is man-made, for their door panels and trim. It's claim to fame is that is lasts a long time, is not affected by the elments like vinyl or naugahide, and is easy to maintain. Just need to find someone that can match the interior panels in the Eldos and Sevilles with this stuff.

Happy Trails. Good luck with your interior.

jammgm is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

My 98 Eldorado has the same problem.
    What is the recommendation to fix it? It wasn't clear to me on how to do it in your reply.
    Thanks, Jim

The fix is basically just applying adhesive to the lifting sections, and figuring out a way to hold the vinyl in place while the adhesive dries.

Any suggestions on what type of adhesive to use?

I would suggest a 2 part epoxy.

92WHTSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

Those clips breaking are a PITA. You would think that the engineers of a high line luxury car such as a Eldo or any Caddy would have came up with a better solution than those cheap _ss plastic clips to hold the door panel on, because eventually they are going to break by the doors being so wide and heavy. My passenger-side clips are broken on the bottom of my door, and I haven't decided what to use to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by 92WHTSTS View Post
    Those clips breaking are a PITA. You would think that the engineers of a high line luxury car such as a Eldo or any Caddy would have came up with a better solution than those cheap _ss plastic clips to hold the door panel on, because eventually they are going to break by the doors being so wide and heavy. My passenger-side clips are broken on the bottom of my door, and I haven't decided what to use to fix it.
    Velcro work very well and is very solid.

For my Eldorado which I'ved owned since it was new, all the problems I have... Door panel clips, rear interior panels coming unglued, cruise control not working, Electronic ride struts and shocks failing, and the sunroof not stopping when opening / closing are all known problems with this car, some of which have GM notices.
    As you said, for a high end luxury car, they could have done a better job building it.

For your door panels, there are some other posts in this forum about repairing them, including someone who used metal L brackets since they can be secured to the base where the clips break off. I also like Lifer's suggestion of using velcro and will see if I can put some on the bottom to secure the panels. Someone also use Levelor plastic hooks.

Here is an update to using Velcro to hold things like door panel and interior item. First of all, it is an easy fix, it does hold, well, and if you did not know where it was placed, you might say some non-church-going words when you tried to remove the panel normally.

With that said, I discovered a minor problem with the heavy duty Velcro hold the bottom and non-hinge side of my driver's door. I used the adhesive that was already on the Velcro strips when I installed it. It made the job easy, and a secondary adhesive is not necessary, as we are not carrying a hanging, weighted load, just holding things together. When my car is out in the hot sun (this is Texas and our summers are above average) the adhesive drips out onto the carpet retainer, leaving a sticky mess. I used some GOOP adhesive remover on a paper towel and it cleaned up. But it did it all summer. The door panel is still secure, does not rattle or flap around, and I have not removed the panel to check the results. This will be done in the spring when I have time - to take the interior completely out again and do some mods and more Dynamating.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.