Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yeah that is right, I am in the “research” stage for retrofitting URPAS in my ’97 STS. After about 2-3 ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII)

Yeah that is right, I am in the “research” stage for retrofitting URPAS in my ’97 STS.
    After about 2-3 hours of work I finally got a complete Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist System from a 2000 DHS (fairly cheap $50).
    This is the bench test (better said Persian carpet test ).

In case you don’t understand what is going on in the video, you are looking at the telltale assembly that normally mounts on the car headliner near the rear glass (central). You can also see 2 of the 4 ultrasonic sensors normally mounted in the rear bumper. As I am approaching to the sensors (normally the vehicle back up towards an object) the system pick up my position and illuminates the LED in the telltale assembly in the following pattern:
    a) ~6 feet away first amber LED ON
    b) ~3 feet away both amber LEDs ON
    c) ~1 feet both amber LEDs and the red LEDs are ON
    d) dangerously close all LEDs are flashing.

Here are the observations:
    1) Works fine as long as the reverse signal is not grounded. In the car this input is pullet to battery voltage when shifting in reverse (by the reverse lights relay) and then pulled to GND when not in reverse trough the reverse light bulbs (the filament). So if you remove both reverse light bulbs your URPAS will work all the time. That is a caution for those of you with URPAS planning to update to LED for reverse lights.
    2) It needs the RIM to operate otherwise it goes in error mode. Thank God for the diagnose mode (available by grounding the diagnose input) otherwise I had no clue why was not working. Basically the URPAS module monitors this output and expects to see it pulled to battery voltage by the RIM. Well I found a way around this issue by simulating the RIM input with a 10K resistor, so I tested with the RIM and w/o using the RIM simulate (the resistor).
    3) Oddly, is not going in error mode if the VSS is missing (obviously I had none in my test), I guess is looking only for overspeed (>5MPH and ignores everything else).
    4) Sound…that is the big issue here! It is not working as I would like it as in when the URPAS wants the chime it grounds the output. It actually does a frequency burst to communicate 1 chime, fast chime and I could not figure out how it requests continuous chime (I guess is higher frequency). I don’t have an oscilloscope so I was working with an LED, that is the most information I could get by observing the LED. But is enough for me to know that I am unable to use this chime output to connect a buzzer in case the RIM does not work fine on my databus. I would have to use the LED outputs in the following configuration:
    a) 1 beep for the first amber LED
    b) Slow beep for the second amber LEDs,
    c) Continuous been for the red LED on
    d) Fast beep with red LED flashing.
    Unfortunately it will be an issue with the bulb test (every time shifts in reverse). Hopefully the RIM will work fine with my data line and post no code (as I am only connecting it for the chime request). Also the beeps will be there while in diagnose mode (actually that I can fix).
    Let’s see how is the RIM behaving on my databus really, really hope it will be fine, otherwise it will be allot of extra work.

In this case is measure 10 times then 10 times more then cut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

naif is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS

Re: Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII)

Maybe you could tap the the transmission range selector switch along with a delay circuit for 1 second (so it doesn't engage while going P->D etc.)

I genuinely believe in our cars there is a delay already. Noticed how you don't see a flash from the reverse lights when shifting from P to N and back.

Well the 4T80 range switch is linked to the shifter - so any delay, if any, lives inside the PCM or RIM. But since it also does the bulb test, you might have to duplicate that functionality. (Or just have a minimum time lockout with the signal coming from the bulbs?)

Yeah for the bulb test I can put a 555 timer controlling a delay after the reverse signal is pulled to positive voltage, but let me try the RIM first, I rather have the chimes, 100% OEM.

One of these days you're going to come in here and post about "I got a 5th gen seville body, going to try to swap it in" or "I think I can make an RWD northstar work in my car"

IT TOTALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The RIM integrates perfectly on the data line, there is NO CODE, and I HAVE THE CHIMES!
    It is beautiful, now I am off to the body shop to get the sensor bezels painted. I will have the system ready in the next few weeks.
    But the chime pattern is slightly different that described by Sub (I believe there are differences between ‘02+ Seville and ’00 Deville in this department).
    I get no chime at the first amber LED
    I get 1 chime when both amber LEDs are ON
    I get regular chime (the same like door open, engine off key in the ignition) when all LEDs are solid ON or flashing (no difference). The RIM can read the shifter position too, it only request the chimes when in reverse even if I fooled the URPAS module to believe the car is in reverse when is not.

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Congratulations!

What year RIM did you use and from what model? 2000 from the donor DeVille?

I had a feeling that it would be fairly easy to add the ultrasonic backup alarm as it has its diagnostics are self-contained and later RIMs seem to go in without conflict. Now if we can ever figure out that TPMS system and the conflict with the PCM....

Here is the in-car test, the only difference is the VSS is not connected and obviously the components were on the driver’s floor not mounted properly. The sensors were taped along the hood and I was using my hand to simulate the vehicle backing towards an object. The engine was off but the ignition was ON and the shifter was in reverse (otherwise no chimes).

The module underneath the telltale display is the URPAS and the one with the 2 connectors (in front of the seat rail) is the RIM.

I also tested the PZM functions and all work just fine, no codes what so ever. Is the same like adding 2 HUs on your car (yeah is possible, both will control the volume and other RIM/AMP related functions).

Smike the thing with the RIM (~'00 DHS) is a very conspicuous module on the data line, is mainly a slave module doing nothing but what other modules request. The request for chimes is a standard HU function supported since ’96, the IPC can request chime, the PCM too, so the fact that another module request a standard existing function is not an issue. In the TPMS, the RFA asks a new function (display a certain message on IPC), and that would be no problem if the IPC is updated, but from your observations looks like the IPC is not the only module involved in this…I don’t remember, last we were suspecting the PCM, how about the DIM?

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

The problem with adding TPMS that seems insurmountable is the "Not supported by PCM" message that comes from an RCDLR with the ability to read the radio signals from the pressure monitors.

The harness is ready, the sensors are painted now drying overnight into the spray booth.

The bottom most harness (the one with the wire loom) is the sensor harness (running behind the bumper cover). The 4 black connectors on the bottom right side are the sensor connectors. The harness on the left is the harness running between the URPAS module (mount on the power antenna bracket) and RIM and ends with the connector to the harness for the Telltale module. The blue/black connector on the bottom left is the URPAS module connector while the 2 larger connectors (blue and gray) are the RIM connectors. The telltale harness is the one on the right side and runs behind the left side sailing panel then along the upper edge of the rear glass underneath the headliner. The white connector (top right) is the Telltale module connector.
    Hopefully I have time tomorrow at least to run some of the harness in the car. The routing is identical as in DeVille the only alteration is the harness to the sensors will come out of the trunk along with the right taillight harness (trough the same gasket). In the DeVille there is a hole on the right side underneath the bumper (shared with the harness for the ELC compressor.
    The electrical schematics between ’97 Seville and ‘00+ DeVille are so different yet so similar, even the circuit numbers for the various circuits is the same. In the DeVille the RIM data line is just one wire, I will actually integrate the RIM in the same loop with the CVRSS module. I opened the RIM and checked the PCB diagram and it has 2 data pins (A12 and B12) so it can be installed in a loop. Basically I will remove from the CVRSS connector one of the 2 data wires and run it to the RIM then run a small wires between the RIM and the CVRSS data pin (thus extending the network loop). And by adding the RIM to the rear electronics tray I literally run out of space, there is absolutely no more space in there as the car has every possible option installed (except OnStar). Hmm…

Sensors are painted and ready to install.

Today I got the TellTale module along with the harness installed.
    I really thought allot before cutting a hole into the liner (I had the template from the donor car). Once the headliner cut there is no turning back (is not easy to find one in good shape these days.
    Thank god it came out perfect dead center (after measuring 5-6 times) and dead straight.

I also run the harness along the inner side of the headliner, even used hot glue exactly as it is done from factory, including the routing is identical with the one from factory.
    Tomorrow I will install the URPAS module, the RIM and the remaining in car harness plus wire everything up.
    This is the last picture of the car with no parking sensors taken just over 1h ago.

I am almost sure I won't have time to install the sensors tomorrow (that is another measure 10 times drill once deal). Hopefully will came up just like the TellTale module.

97EldETC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC
    Did the 97ETC have that option? I would really like it. Mine doesn't have it.

It was never an option on Eldorado or gen. IV Seville, but as you see is doable. Your Eldorado is exactly the same car as my Seville minus the 2 rear doors.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Son of a bitch, as I said before bro you deserve a cadillac nobel prize for the work you've pioneered for us. Thank you so much for sharing these projects with us

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.