Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII)

Today was THE day when I finalized the install.
    Measure 10 times and drill once (the top edge of the tape defines the middle line of the URPAS sensor holes):

The first hole ready, I was so worried about chipping the paint, but nope it all worked fine.

This is the final product, notice the harness goes into the trunk sharing the same rubber grommet as the right side outer taillight harness (not finalized in the picture). It was not easy to squeeze the 6 extra wires trough the same tight grommet but with patience (about 1 h) it worked.

And here it is WORKING in a ’97 Cadillac Seville STS, never meant to be yet it is, and it was not that difficult.

The first flash is when I shifted in reverse (is the bulb test sequence) then you see as I am approaching the vehicle parked behind the LEDs turning on in the sequence 1 amber LED, 2 amber LEDs, all LEDs on, all LEDs on flashing. The corresponding chime is heard in the background 1 chime at first amber LED on then continuous chime when all 3 LEDs are on.

Also in the process I accidentally drove a ‘03 bi-turbo V12 CL 65 AMG (>600HP!!!!). That is really a sweet ride and I notice the URPAS sensors are identical with the ones in my Cadillac.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Nice job.

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

Wow, congrats on that. And the STS looks great. Now you've got something rare indeed.

Ever since I installed the URPAS the system had a tendency to go into fail mode (the red light flashing) with a occurrence of ~20% especially first time after the engine was started.
    I ran the diagnose mode many time and every time it was something else (like sensor failure, no VSS, RIM chime in line issue and so on). I replaced the URPAS module to the latest firmware version, I also replaced the RIM (at some point it completely stopped producing the chimes). Eventually I just got used to the idea and cooped with the 20% failure rate.

Like I mentioned on another thread last Saturday I replaced the battery. I had enough not being able to trust it on cold weather even though it was an AcDelco less than 3 years old. I really had bad luck with the batteries ever since the original AcDelco was replaced back in 2005 (almost 8 years of service), the replacement (an Interstate) lasted just a bit over 3 years, next battery replaced in 2008 (AcDelco) failed after exactly one year. Turned out the shop had installed a smaller battery that it should, and now I was with the (allegedly) proper size AcDelco. It started giving me problems since the 2012 winter, I remember calling CAA(equivalent AAA) for a boost at least once, and then this last winter I had to call them 3-4 times. Eventually I bought a charger that I used many nights over the winter (one night before buying the charger I had to charge it with a small 2A, 12V adapter). Anyway once the weather got better it was OK until 2 weeks ago when I had it flat again on my driveway (middle of the summer).
    So I bought the new battery (group 78 AcDelco 7YR) and it kind of looked different to me when I saw it on the dealership parts counter. And yeah, it was a full inch larger than the one I had before once measured. This was the first time I checked the label on the battery and the morons form the shop installed a group 75 AcDelco 3 years ago, that being a replacement for the much smaller battery they installed 1 year before.
    YEAH that is right it actually happened to ME, I had the wrong battery all this time! Never bothered to check.
    This explains why I had to replace the alternator 3 times ever since the original battery was replaced.

And now guess what, in the last week with the new battery my URPAS did not failed once, every times starts fine, no more error.

So looks like because the battery was smaller, the starting was draining a significant portion of it so at startup the voltage was low, the alternator was working overtime to compensate. I also remember over the winter I had once or twice a data line issue with the RSS and the service engine light due to knock sensor failure (the PCM is fooled most of time with the knock sensor on low voltage situations).

Well now I know, I hope I don't have to replace the alternator anytime soon.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    I highly doubt battery type had anything to do with your problems. It was a bad battery(borderline) from the begining. It was prob bad causing alt to burn out charging it constantly. A smaller battery run down more than a larger battery run down less require same charge after starting the vehicle.
    I've put small batteries in cars needing bigger and had no issues other than capacity.

Keep in mind I have my car for many years, I mean sure a smaller battery will work just fine I did not had to replace the alternator for 2-3 years in a row so should I have used a smaller battery for 1-2 years and then get rid of the car then I would say the same, battery works just fine no problems.
    Ok first time the alternator failed because the bearing collapsed, second time the brushes were worn out all the way (in less than 15K) but 3-rd time it had no reason to do so.
    A small battery drains allot at startup (especially in winter) and then the alternator must compensate exactly when the heated seats are on, the rear defrost is on, the ELC compressor runs the test, the EBTCM runs the test too...you don't have some power stashed in the battery then is all on the alternator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.