Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; awesome dude i wish i had your skills...
    ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: Ultrasonic Reverse Parking Assist System retrofit in Gen. IV (OBDII)

awesome dude i wish i had your skills

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    awesome dude i wish i had your skills
    -------------
    "BLESSING" Northstar motors isn't enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------
    "BLESSING" Northstar motors isn't enough for you?
    no i need more thrills then blessing and Christening a Northstar motor darn
    but hey MC's is still running nice from what i hear so my blessing must have done a good job lol
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup
    hey MC's is still running nice from what i hear so my blessing must have done a good job lol
    So far so good. Your blessing definitely seems to be working TP (though strangely, all my DIC messages have spelling errors since the install )

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    So far so good. Your blessing definitely seems to be working TP (though strangely, all my DIC messages have spelling errors since the install )
    it's just learning about the Thump Bonixs Dictionary needs to learn a bit more
    (Be Happy the DIC works at all )
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

eldorado_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, W/Nav

So um... N* where abouts are you located I want to come get a autograph from you cause you sir are a legend on this fourm.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    Great work man

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Today I installed the remaining In-Car harness, my car now has 1 PZM and 2 RIMs (RIM no 1= Radio Integration Module, and RIM no 2 = Rear Integration Module).
    The second RIM has functions for fuel level, internal lights, rear defogger, ELC, Reverse relay and some other doubling the PZM. Yes that is right I can just transfer some of these to the RIM from PZM (basically I have some redundancy), but the main function of the RIM is requesting chimes when the URPAS module command so.
    Everything is wired up (VSS, IGN1, CONFORT, GND, Reverse Signal and Data line), I did not installed the URPAS module yet (not connected) as I had no time for the sensors and with no sensors it goes into error mode (basically the red LED flashes while in reverse). I was tended to do at least a rear life test with the sensors taped to the bumper but unfortunately I was late for dinner (you know Easter and family and such) so I have to wait till next weekend. Well I did a quick test making sure the modules are wired correctly and I get signal to the TellTale.
    Thank Cadillac for designing one spot on the far right of the electronics bay (roughly the same position where the RIM is mounted in the newer cars). I couldn't find anywhere in the FSM a reference for what this spot was reserved for and is a perfect fit for the RIM (looks like a provision for a option that never make it in production). Literally I have 0 extra space on that electronics bay now, can't add anything more (not that I have anything else to add except the OnStar stuff - but since the analog system is not working...no point adding it).
    One note…the 3 LEDs on the TellTale module are a bit too bright (especially in shade/dark), and project a slight pattern of light on the headliner. It would have been nice if the dimming was taken in consideration, but since there is no data line to the URPAS no way coordinating the dimming with the dimmer switch. Too bad because the information is present on the data line. I could add this option by controlling the supply voltage based on the dimmer voltage (I would have to add the dimmer signal to the URPAS – not too complicated, but for now I better finish the install).
    As an observation I can see about the same approach as with the memory seat modules. It appears to be commissioned to an independent team fairly insulated from the others (perhaps outside GM) so it had very little integration with the rest of the system (remember the lack of ignition voltage signal to the massage module leading to the 10 minute timer). Either this or the option was started a bit later into the design stage. This explains why they chose the digital input to the RIM solution to request chimes rather than adding the data line to the URPAS (more complicated firmware for the URPAS). I guess, financially it was less expensive to add an extra input to the RIM as the firmware was easy to change to support the chimes as the data line interface was already done.

This is a picture of the connector for the harness to the TellTale module (left side of the electronics bay near the ELC CB. You can see the 2 connectors for the PZM (the ‘98+PZM!!). Unfortunately I had no pictures with the location of the RIM, it was far more interesting as it has the Data wires, VSS, Chime input and few others, but by the end of the install I had no more time for pictures as I was running late.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

...wow...can't even wait to see the sensors installed...
    ...everytime I see your great car here, it gets better and better...

-------------------
    OMG - now THAT'S funny

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

Is it just mixing up letters in an obvious way or throwing in random letters that don't even belong in the word?

Quote Originally Posted by KNCadillac8898 View Post
    Is it just mixing up letters in an obvious way or throwing in random letters that don't even belong in the word?
    ---------------
    Boathmth -

A slight bad news...I just discovered that one of the URPAS sensors is not working. I am not sure if I mentioned but I did noticed one of the sensors was replaced (according to the MFG date in ~’02-‘03), obviously the yo-yo at the dealership did not installed the rubber seal. It turns out this replacement sensor is not working. I did notice, once in a while, I had hard time with the system to initiate, few times after boot was in error mode. Again thank God for the diagnose mode I was able to figure out (based on the LED flash pattern) that sometimes I have issues with the sensors. After spending 2 days on it I got so familiarized with the way it works that I know when to disregard some other errors that are caused by me (say I did not emulated properly the switch into reverse in the first 5 seconds after entering in diagnose mode and such). Finally I insulated the issue to that sensor so now I am in the market for a sensor (go figure the replacement sensor failed, why I am not surprised).
    The thing is the FSM is not very accurate, perhaps “detailed” would be a better word. For example it mentions that when entering in diagnose mode ensure you shift into reverse in the next 5 seconds after turning ignition ON (no reason why). That translates in my word in: “ensure the reverse input has a transition from Hi to Lo in the first 5 seconds after powering the URPAS module with the diagnose input grounded.
    The reason for these 5 seconds is the URPAS expects to see this transition during these 5 seconds count down, it is the only way to know the reverse input is wired correctly.
    I was ignoring this since I noticed that for bench test I don’t even need to ground or pull to voltage this input. I had to look at the PCB and understand the schematic. Turns out that the input is pulled HI in the URPAS and if the wire is not connected (floating input from my point of view not knowing the URPAS internal schematic) basically it is pulled high. The firmware expects to initiate with the input pulled to GND and this is true when connected in the car as the bulbs do pull the input to GND (trough the fairly small filament resistance) since you can’t start the car while in reverse.
    So only after I eliminated all these I was able to figure out what is real warning and what is bogus.

I am not sure where I am going to find a parking sensor (I see eBay has one here and there but is at least $70). To be honest the sensor is nothing but a tweeter/microphone combo and doesn’t worth this amount of money. But I paid $32 for a sticker (in 2 occasions) so I’ve done worst.

This is what I used to diagnose the sensor. Since the TellTale module and the RIM and the harness is in the car, I had to fabricate a TellTale simulate and all the wires and the RIM (lots of work just for diagnosing a stupid sensor).

Great news, I am back on track, today I scored another 4 parking sensors (complete with all the hardware) and just for good measure I took the URPAS module too, as it was the same price ($20).
    Now the sensors are again in the spray booth for painting (tomorrow morning) and out of 8 sensors I got to have at least 4 working (I know one is not working but still I have 7 more).

Unfortunately I may not be able to install the sensors in the bumper this weekend either, lets see how tomorrow goes, if not next weekend.

Got my second set of sensors back from the body shop.
    Remember I have 2 URPAS module to choose from, the first one from a '00 Deville and the second from a '04 Buick Rendezvous.
    The P# are different but as far as I can tell other than the 5V supply chip inside there is no difference except for one note on the label “SW 3.0” v.s. the Deville one “SW 2.2”. And after a bench test you can tell the difference between the two firmware versions, the Rendezvous URPAS module is faster to react than the Deville one. If I move the object in and out from the sensors field of "vision" the Rendezvous module notice the movement much, much faster is a very obvious difference. I guess the Randevouz module goes in rather than the Deville. Also the new parking sensors are all working fine so I have now 7 working sensors to choose from.
    This weekend should be the weekend when I'm finishing the retrofit.
    Another thing, the 3.0 firmware also includes a "disable" input, in the Deville is not wired. I will not use it but is good to have the option.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.