chk engine - lean code - 1996 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, chk engine - lean code - 1996 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; fantastic...chk engine came on today. ran the codes. forgot the code but the definition was "system running too lean bank ...
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

chk engine - lean code - 1996 STS

fantastic...chk engine came on today. ran the codes. forgot the code but the definition was "system running too lean bank 2"
    it said "service emmission system" on the dash when the light went off.

any suggestions? i dont think its a vacuum leak cuz the engine is not idling on high rpm. idles at like 600-700 when warm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: chk engine D:<

P0174? List all the codes with the definitions on here, they are needed for proper diagnostics. I don't think P0174 will set Service Emissions System.

actually u got it right. i just went and scanned the codes. that was the only one. and when it came off it said service emission system. this happened b4 i think with the same code even. if i remember right, the thing tht fixed it was an oxygen sensor. but when it was "fixed" i assumed i would get better performance since the engine wouldnt b lean n e more (its running about 25% lean right now). but it didnt change. now the code came up.

Might want to start from something obvious like vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks and such (that would only affect the bank 2). Which HO2S was fixed? Have you used AC Delco HO2S?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

you have a vacuum leak somewhere -
    take off the beauty cover and spray carb cleaner around the area -
    when the idle speed increases - you found your leak

Yeah that's what I did basscatt. Nothing happened though. Also yes. I used acdelco oxygen sensors. I've sprayed the whole compartment a few times alrdy with the beauty cover off. No rpm increase at all.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

did you check around the back of the intake - there is a little "trap door" that's the backfire pressure relief valve - it is spring-loaded to keep it closed - but could open out if there was an engine backfire

Yeah lol. I had a vacuum leak b4 this ended up changing the whole manifold and throttle body. That's where they tested them to b leaking. With these replaced ones it seems so far they're good. I changed them less than a month ago and b4 having them put in I checked that particular spot thoroughly. I think I mentioned this in that last thread. Idk what it could b this tine. Maybe the parts I got r faulty (they're used). But after spraying them many times while the engine idled with no rpm spikes, I don't think they're leaking

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Did you spray the backfire relief valve behind the P/S pump?

Check plastic vacuum lines for split type of cracks?

Ill check the lines but I'm not sure which lines to check. Some r for liquids. But ill check em again. Also, do I end up getting more performance in the end when the system isn't running lean n e more?

Here is a pic of my code scanner readings and monitoring of what was going on. This was taken while in cruise control.
    Attached Images

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: chk engine - lean code - 1996 STS

That is still showing some sort of lean trim. I assume you still have the PXXXX Bank 2 lean code.............when you changed the intake manifold, did you use new gaskets ??? I ask because lean codes on one bank only are pretty rare, and they're restricted to very few places - the intake gasket(s) being one, a leaky fuel injector O-ring seal is another. Hopefully it's not a cracked intake manifold at a bolt boss on the left (front) side of the manifold..........but your spraying fluid should show that up.............

Your engine should be showing 1985 rpm at 60. TPS looks good, MAP = .57 X 15 = 8.55 psi absolute: that's good manifold vacuum for 60 mph cruise. The timing is 4 degrees BTDS higher than mine at the same conditions, but that's because you have the higher compression 10.3:1 engine (mine is 10.0:1 and calibrated for 87 octane fuels). I don't like that long term fuel trim. Funny thing is, with lean mixtures your calculated long term mileage from fuel flow should be higher - Most STS in good condition give 23.5 - 25 mpg on the highway at steady 65 mph.

Hmm. Yes I used the old gaskets. They looked ok. And spraying didn't reveal n e leaks. One issue I have is how u said timing is ok....that threw me off. I showed it to a few experienced car knowera and they all said timing should not b in the negative....they were surprised the car was running. Now obviously I don't even have the slightest clue what all that means but if timing is ok then ill go with ur word. So apart from a cracked manifold, what else could b the problem? Ill attach another picture of a different reading. (Btw idk if that pic I took was when the car was running on a level ground. That's y the rpm might not b as accurate as ud think)

These r not in cruise control. If these don't make n e thing clear, let me know in what condition u want me to scan it in. Idling, 50 or whatever. Anything to help u diagnose it.
    Attached Images

2000 rpm @ 70 mph sounds more like a LD8/3.11:1 config.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.