motor mount broken questions - STS 2001
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, motor mount broken questions - STS 2001 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A cadillac dealership gave an estimate for broken motor mount about $800. I have decided so far not to get ...
    john19999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997

motor mount broken questions - STS 2001

A cadillac dealership gave an estimate for broken motor mount about $800. I have decided so far not to get it fixed. The car STS 2001 has about 100K miles. It runs fine. The only issue I have noticed is that when at slow speed turning steering wheel give some clicking sound. A Meinke mechanic told me that this sound is from air bag some spring. He told that it is just annoying and I can ignore it.

I have following questions about the motor mount broken.

1. Is it a safety concern. Does engine fall off the car with broken mount?

2. How can I check that motor mount is really broken? Can I see some broken bolt or any thing?

3. Could the clicking sound when turning steering wheel be due to the broken motor mount? Other than this clicking sound that is obvious at a speed less that 5 mph, there is no other issues with car. I see car running just nicely

I will appreciate your resonse please

Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: motor mount broken questions - STS 2001

Not necessarily a safety concern, but in long run it may damage your engine/transmission. When the car is in park and you shift it out of park, do you feel the impact? That's because of a broken mount, and that impact may damage your engine/transmission.

2. How can I check that motor mount is really broken? Can I see some broken bolt or any thing?
    Does your car clunks when you shift the car from P? Ask a friend to do the test and you watch the engine movement. If the engines moves too much, it indicates that you have a broken mount. You also can go underneath, and touch the head of the mount, where the metal shaft comes out of it. Look for cracks there. A broken mount normally cracks and breaks from there.

3. Could the clicking sound when turning steering wheel be due to the broken motor mount? Other than this clicking sound that is obvious at a speed less that 5 mph, there is no other issues with car. I see car running just nicely

No, it can be because of bad CV joint.

And by the way, $800 is too much for one single mount. Are you sure that they are going to replace just one mount not all 4 mounts? $800 is a very very cheap estimate if they want to do all 4, but for just one mount it's too much.

Normally the front engine mount is the one that breaks first. I purchased a OEM mount for $120 and I myself put it on the car! There are couple of good right ups for it.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No.

It's usually the front mount (#23) that breaks. If you pull the lower splash shield you can see the mount and probably see that it has leaked oil (it's liquid filled). If you brake torque the engine with the hood open you can see the engine lift more than it should. With a broken mount you want to stay away from WOT.

3. Could the clicking sound when turning steering wheel be due to the broken motor mount?
    No, that sounds more like a CV Joint.

Ranger,

Can you please clarify. In your upper response, you have mentioned JV joint. Is it a typo for CV joint or you realy meant JV joint? What is JV joint. Is it same as Ball joint?

Thanks
    John

Oop! Yeah I meant CV Joint. I'll correct it and punch my dumbshit card.
    SliceOfLife and SliceOfLife like this.

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

I had my front mount replaced by my family's regular mechanic for under around $300. The part was $135 (I think) if I remember. He said it was a pain to do because there's not much room in there.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

$800 sounds very high... you might want to get another opinion/estimate. Quite a few CF board members have used Joe at... www.midwestcadillacrepair.com

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    $800 is insane, even at a dealer.

dish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sls seville

im having a similar motor mount issue,, i can feel the thump from first to second but after that it seems to shift smoothly

When I press brake hard and change from park to D, there is no thump and dont feel any thump after that. However, if I dont press brake hard and change from park to D, I feel the thump.

I have put the car on ramp and tried to check if the front motor mount is broken. It appeared ok to me. There was no oil leakage or or any sign of brakage. The dealer service told me that motor mount is broken. Is there any other mount that could be broken?

Thanks
    John

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Open the hood, start the engine, plant your foot HARD on the brake pedal, put the transmission in drive. Bring the RPMs to ~2000 for a second. The front of the engine should rise less than one inch.

There are 3 hydraulic mounts, and 1 solid (which should be fine). It's possible that all of the oil has leaked out already, and seeing physical damage can be difficult depending where the mount is torn.

Is there any other mount that could be broken?
    The front mount is almost always the one that goes.

Did you have the splash shield off when you checked it? It's almost impossible to see with it in place.

Ranger,

Thanks. I lifted car up on ramps and saw underneath. There was no splash shield near the front mount (frame was visible). The bolt and nut was intact and visible from underneath the car. I was not able to see top of the mount (which is in the center of the frame). However, I was able to put my hand on it and could not notice any oil leak or crack in the body of the mount. Anyhow I can get it replaced at some shop. I saw this part at rockauto.com for about $65 from DEA products. Any idea if the generic part can last for a couple of years.

Thanks
    John

naif is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS

An aftermarket front hydraulic mount is unlikely to last beyond a few weeks depending on your use of the go pedal....

Quote Originally Posted by john19999 View Post
    Ranger,

Thanks. I lifted car up on ramps and saw underneath. There was no splash shield near the front mount (frame was visible). The bolt and nut was intact and visible from underneath the car. I was not able to see top of the mount (which is in the center of the frame). However, I was able to put my hand on it and could not notice any oil leak or crack in the body of the mount. Anyhow I can get it replaced at some shop. I saw this part at rockauto.com for about $65 from DEA products. Any idea if the generic part can last for a couple of years.

Thanks
    John
    Keep that in mind should you ever start to run a little hot.

I no nothing about DEA products.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.