2000 ETC factory amplifer? location and validation - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2000 ETC factory amplifer? location and validation in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; MTFLIGHT: To build the 16-18 foot cable that would connect the original BOSE HU with the RIM and also the ...
    Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: 2000 etc factory amplifer? location and validation

MTFLIGHT:

To build the 16-18 foot cable that would connect the original BOSE HU with the RIM and also the new HU-

1. I have determined the 32-pin connector to be #12110115 and have one I picked up at Huffines Chevrolet. This goes to the BOSE HU unit in the trunk. See question #3

2. The male connectors, #s 12129340, 12129341, 12129342, and 12129342, all which are compatible to plug into the original RIM female connector in the dash area, are not in GM;s listing anymore. Where did you get yours? Stock Number?

3. The female connector does not come with pins, but 12146448 crimp was once the correct one. No longer in GM's stock. GONE! It does appear that the Molex .093 might be a good replacement - available at Frys. There is also a Molex .062 pin, but it looks rather small. Both are crimp pins. So, what did you use here?

4. If you did use crimp pins, did you also solder them?

Thanks.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Hi Lifer,

I ended up purchasing a couple of cheap GM 32 connectors from eBay (male and female each)and carefully removing the pins with a needle and relocating them to the needed positions. Basically I used one, but used the other one for extra pins that I needed. I didn't deal with crimping wires. For example: GM03R, and GM03B are the Scosche parts. Another suggestion is to get the connector with wires from a junk yard... just cut as long as possible behind the connector so you can extend the wires. That may not be practical.

I made an eBay search for you. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gm+32+pin+-hinge+-king+-amd+-module+-dimm&_sacat=0&_odkw=gm+32+pin+-hinge+-king+-amd

A
    s far as removing pins from one connector into another you'll have to study each connector as they sometimes use different methods to attach the pins. Play with them gently with a long pin. Once you manage to get one out, you can do the same for the others. I may have a spare one that I ended up not using (I can't remember if it was male or female because I didn't open it).

MTFLIGHT:

Your response is a wealth of information. Your method is probably more preferable, especially when parts become scarce and limited. I will keep this in reserve if the direction I chose hits a brick wall.

Because I continued to study this after I wrote you I decided to place an order at Mouser Electronics for a male plug (the only number that they had), some molex-type pins per the Micro100 Header manual pages 1 and 11 and some TPAs. Here is the results.

Attachment 84279

Attachment 84280

Now all I need to build the cable is some 18 AWG wire, a couple of RCA plugs, some wire ties, electrical tape, and some Posi-Products connectors and taps.

When the cable is built I should be ready to buy a HU unit, and install. Estimate, with no hic-ups is one day. It may take longer because I over do things, clean, adjust, and may add some other things when disassembled.

Sounds great! Should be as easy as it seems. What head unit did you decide to go with? You can usually look at the installation manuals prior to purchasing, then use wire taps to get power and ground. You may need to run a wire to the reverse light to turn the automatic reverse camera on (if equipped).

And yup, the picture is very familiar. I had a spare male and female connector for a harness that I had made when I had factory nav on my Deville DHS that I used when I extended the head unit in that car to the glove box. FOr this one I still had some pins laying around and other plugs.

I'm currently looking to tap into a wire in the trunk to feed the backup camera accessory power (I use reverse light but the connection is flaky and I can't switch to viewing it unless I'm in reverse this way).

power007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 2001

can you please add a big picture

I am firing up an old thread because I have some new questions. I have had some time to study this adventure and am finally going to do something. 2001 Eldo ETC. So far I have built the cable that mtflight created. This allows the relocation of the Bose HU to the trunk and acts as a control. I built it last year and now it waits. I have not selected a new NAV unit mainly because there is so much new to choose from. I want NAV, XM, and Weather. AM and Fm do not excite me.

Anyway, I have now studied and am considering the GMOS 06 cable instead of the one I made. If I used it, what would I gain or lose? The instructions for it are not too difficult (if I can rewire an Army combat tank, I can surely wire up a Japanese radio). So my question is the GMOS 06 - should I consider it?

Hey Lifer. I am not sure the Gmos is compatible with the eldorado. I would call the manufacturers to be sure. I used the Gmos 06 on my DHS and had annoying audio issues along with some missing chimes.

The extension you made keeps your volume on the steering wheel and all the chimes and dsp effects. Basically it is an audio input for the new nav keeping everything else intact.

Our Bose head units interface with the rear integration module, RIM. The RIM controls the volume and digital signal processing, DSP. It also sends audio to the individual Bose amplifiers at each speaker.

Thr Gmos is a" translator" attempts to do what the head unit does but loses features and sometimes drops the ball. My issues had to do with the reverse URPA chimes and memory settings beeps (dont exist on the gmos)but occasionally it would muffle the sound after reverse chimes too. Another thig some Gmos do is fix the audio level so that only the replacement head unit.

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

Great write up mtflight.

I just want to oknow where you go the faceplate.
    I have the Metra and definately like yours better.
    Thanks,
    Taz

This is just a quick "Thank you" to mtflight for the response. Good though o the GMOS cable.

Now, I am still looking at double dins NAV units. So many to pick from, and yet each has its negatives. Any recommendations?

BTW - if you ever get out to Cars and Coffee, see me at Cadillac Row.

Lifer

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Id recommend the Pioneer AVH 4300DVD, skmply for the SD card capability, just load it with mp3's, no discs, or aux cables to fumble with or usb stick protruding out

I have the Kenwood DNX-9990HD. It's the cleanest system I've ever had.
    I use the USB and connect a Seagate 320GB USB hard drive for all music and videos. $40 from Best Buy. It sure beats my $350 IPod Classic 160GB.
    Taz

I have a piOneer app radio 1. Pioneer is at times buggy but the unit was cheap Bc it is really a screen with an iPhone 4 and 4s interface. IPhone 5 and up are unsupported. There is an android app radio 2 that is probably decent.

I use Waze and pandora and NPR radio apps mostly. Even Netflix works which is pretty cool.

As far as the face plate. I modded it from the Metra kit for the Catera.

Well, I appreciate the suggestions. Pioneer AVH 4300DVD - no NAV. No sense doing all that work if there is no navigation. I have a Megallan GPS I use at times, but I am used to an in-dash unit.

The Kenwood DNX-9990HD has a weak NAV, but the rest is OK. And since I don't have smartphone, the radio apps don't really work for me.

Don't get me wrong - I am a programmer and IT auditor, but a bit of a Luddite when it comes to fancy phones.

Re: 2000 ETC factory amplifer? location and validation

Thanks mtflight. I have one ordered. The Metra for the ETC just doesn't look right.
    As far as double din nav units, if I remember correctly, most are subbed out to either Garmin or Navtec. Navtec is best hands down IMHO. However my annual updates from Navtec is $300 for my daily driver. So far, Garmin has been free for the 9990hd and free life time traffic.
    What it came down to me was...the user interface. I thought the Kenwoods was better...being a programmer, there is an AVIC forumn for hacking the pioneer which appealed to me. I did hear alot of people having problems with them and I would rather work on my car than hack my radio to work properly.
    Taz

Re: 2000 ETC factory amplifer? location and validation

Just an update, the Catera kit looks way better. Fabricating the mount wasn't too bad either.
    I tried the GMOS and AWSC, it's glitchy.
    I have the PAC setup wired and ready to go in.
    I'm looking for the steering wheel control wire. It's in Comfort and entertainment diagrams which I cannot find in the FSM. It could be E1 on the radio connector or D8 on the 40pin next to steering column (according to PAC).
    I also need to find the reverse signal wire. Anyone know off hand?
    Some other mods I'm looking to do are to replace the mirror mic and whatever that is next to the mirror to mount the GPS antenna inside.

Thanks,
    Taz

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.