2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 36k miles.......trans works great in all ranges, but a barely audible click sound comes from the trans shifter just before ...
    snopro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel...

36k miles.......trans works great in all ranges, but a barely audible click sound comes from the trans shifter just before stopping. It also makes the same sound as you back off the throttle in 3 or 4th gear when you reach a cruising speed over 25mph. If you rest your hand on the shifter, you can feel a slight "tick" (like someone tapped the shift handle with a pencil) at the same time as you hear the click sound.

So far dealer is stumped, but the click sound/tick in the shifter happens every single stop and every time cruising speed is reached....can a bad solenoid cause the shift cable to jerk? or is there some kind of vibration isolation in the shift cable that is allowing a vibration through to the shifter? .... thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

an01sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel...

If it were my car, I'd try another dealer. The dealer is only as good as its techs. I would also call Cadillac Customer Assistance Center @ 1-800-458-8006, and tell them about the problem.

Question Re: 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel...

Thanks for the reply, I will give the phone number a try and then, if none of the experts here can provide an answer, I will try dealer #2....

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I too would also like to know seeing my 00' STS does the same thing. Also I thought Id update this thread since it's becoming covered by other threads.

Mack

Talked to customer service....they checked into whatever resources they have access to, but could not find any information. They did contact the dealer who had previously looked at the car and their resoponse was the same....nothing wrong could be found and they suggested that this was a normal characteristic of the car. (??) (I wonder if this would be considered a "normal characteristic" if an auto magazine comparison to another luxury car read "great car except for the "click""?)

Anyway, as we pursue a solution to this annoyance, I am now curious.

One reader noted that their 00 STS clicks.....anybody else?

Also, does anybody have a Seville that doesn't click?

If I new how to do a poll, I would. Thanks for your replies!

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

I've got a 99 STS and have never heard the noise after 127k miles..

halfrican is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

Unhappy Re: 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel...

My 2001 STS clicks as your does, 45k miles.

Let us know if you find out anymore.

Half

JPL189 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

My 2002 with 30,000 miles also does this although it is barely audible. With my past experience with my dealer, I wouldn't even think of asking them about it.

Tookie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also have a very faint click as you discribed. 01 STS 36,000 miles

obxninja is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Black STS

I have the same click in my '98 STS. It is definitely in the shift mechanism itself--I don't think that it is from the transmission. I don't know if there is some sort of solenoid or something that kicks in when the car slows down that all of a sudden "opens up" the shift gate so that you can put the selecter down into 2nd or 1st. That is the reason that I made up to make me feel better about what it is. But it makes this noise every time and like someone said, you can feel it in the stick if you have your hand on it.

Any other suggestions/observations?

John E. Dawson
    '98 STS

I did a little field test.....the trans shift cable can be easily disconnected at the transmission end. I did this after putting the car in D (with some help to hold the brakes on!) then drove normally, without any connection between the shifter and the transmission....the click was still there!

Your idea of a lockout mechanism/solenoid in the center counsel causing the click sounds on target. This makes me feel better about my transmission as well.

Anybody have a service manual that has some info about the shift lever assembly?

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It is definitely normal. It's called the BTSI, or brake transmission shift interlock, and it's the safety feature that makes you have to press on the brake to shift. It tends to make that noise, nothing to worry about at all.

mastertech,
    If you read back in the posts the "click" does not occur when initiating or ceasing braking or even if you touch the brake pedal in P or D when moving....so I do not agree with you on the this being the BTSI....UNLESS the BTSI has a secondary function of preventing an overly agressive manual downshift (or movement into reverse/park?)...as indicated by obxninja.

Thoughts?

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The click will occur at certain speeds, probably determined by the PCM. Not sure as to the function, but I feel it in every STS/SLS that I drive, about 3 or 4 different ones a day.

Judging from your comments and the other owners replying to the subject, it appears that most have noticed some type of click and your feedback that it is an operational characteristic, not a failure indicator, is a relief.

I do still wonder why this click is so noticeable in my vehicle....Have you driven an 04 that clicks?

It may not be a durability issue, but it is a nuisance. Any suggestions as to what could be done to minimize it?

Thanks again for you feedback!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.