2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have an 01 SLS with a definite click that is both heard and felt. 62000miles...
    jgwlex is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2002 STS transmission shifter clicking in center counsel...

I have an 01 SLS with a definite click that is both heard and felt. 62000miles

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Let's all welcome the new guy and thank him for using the SEARCH feature!!
    You definitely went way back on this one.. I remember when I posted in this one..

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

I feel a "click" in the shift lever but it is not audible(yet)and I hear fine.Never posted anything as I thought that it was normal for the tranny.74K on her and she shifts like new.

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by mastertech
    It is definitely normal. It's called the BTSI, or brake transmission shift interlock, and it's the safety feature that makes you have to press on the brake to shift. It tends to make that noise, nothing to worry about at all.
    Master tech is correct, his explanation is a little off though... The click is a solenoid within the shifter that "locks out" (and re enables) reverse and park once the car senses that you are moving faster than a couple of mph and visa versa if it sense you slowing to a stop...

Try to shift into reverse at 30MPH see... smart shifter... it won't let you... (TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Totally normal, barely audible, and they all do it... The click is a good trade off considering how easy the shifter would be to engage the big R...

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

i'll have to listen more closely for this clicking. i've never heard it, but i've also never tried to move my shifter from D to R -NOR- do i ever want to try, even if there is a mechanism that won't allow it!

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I know I heard the clicking before my trans was overhauled. But I really do not recall hearing it since. Ill have to try and listen for it the next time in driving.

MacK

99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My 99 with 78k does it as well. I can't hear it due to my music, but I can feel it since I ride with my hand on the shifter. It doesn't do it very often though.

White99SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville SLS

My 99SLS has that slight click, never noticed it when driving but when I put it into park a little after I hear the click.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.