2000 Cadillac Eldorado strut conversion kit. What should I get?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2000 Cadillac Eldorado strut conversion kit. What should I get? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm looking for a good deal on a front strut conversion kit for my Eldo. I found a few sources ...
    XBALL23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 eldorado

2000 Cadillac Eldorado strut conversion kit. What should I get?

I'm looking for a good deal on a front strut conversion kit for my Eldo. I found a few sources online but I'm not sure if there's something better out there that I'm just missing. I also wanted to know what I would be looking at in replacement costs if I take it too a shop?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on this forum but I will happily remove them if they are not.

#1: http://www.suncoreindustries.com/CAD...ersion-kit.htm

#2: http://www.strutmasters.com/Eldorado...d-f3nsp-el.htm

#3: https://secure.hostdepot.com/04/088/...ion-parts.html (is this kit missing the coils?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

XBALL23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 eldorado

Re: 2000 Cadillac Eldorado strut conversion kit. What should I get?

I'm still looking for some input on this issue of mine. Any useful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

FRONT STRUT conversion? Conversion from what? I think the wording on the links you provided has you confused.

First off, your car does NOT have air suspension. The front suspension uses coil springs and oil filled struts, the struts may or may not be active, but we'll get to that later.

The rear suspension uses coil springs and oil filled shocks, the difference is that the shocks have an air blather on top, that are inflated by an electric compressor when extra load is added to the rear of the car, to keep it level. This is NOT air suspension. There are conversion kits available for the rear suspension to eliminate the leveling system.

If your Eldo has CVRSS (continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension) RPO F45, then you have active shocks and struts with variable damping. The only way to retain this feature is to buy OEM AC Delco replacements. They are VERY expensive. If you do not want to shell out that much cash (or you do not have F45) you can buy any after market strut, no "conversion" necessary. (on an F45 car however, you will have to "trick" the computer into thinking you are using the correct active struts using resistors) I would suggest Monroe. To check if your car has F45, check the list of RPO codes on the label adhered to the underside of your spare tire cover, or look for an electrical connection on the shocks/struts (not the air line to the rear bladders)

Your other question about one of those "kits" missing the springs: The strut itself is the damper, what absorbs the impact and keeps the car from bouncing like a pogo stick down the road. The spring is what holds the weight of the vehicle off of the ground. When you purchase a strut, you get just that, a strut, no coil spring included. The kits you linked are what is usually called a strut assembly, including the strut, spring and mount. This makes installation easier (or cheaper if you're not doing the work yourself) because you do not have to disassemble the spring/strut/mount and reassemble it with the new strut. If your front suspension is not sagging or uneven from side to side, there is no reason to replace the spring. The mount may still need replacement however.

BTW, And yes, links are allowed.

ToledoTSI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ETC

I just purchased and installed the Strutmaster front strut "kit". The strut "kit" comes with a new spring and all the mounts intact. Be sure to specify that your stabilizer link attaches directly to the strut. You may need some type of small press to get the stabilizer link out of the old strut. (Borrow one at AutoZone) My 2000 Eldorado ETC originally had active front struts, meaning they electronically adjusted their stiffness after sensing speed. This "kit" comes with a resistor that plugs directly into the cars wiring harness for each side, allowing the system to think it still has an active front suspension. I've driven Eldorado's since 1970, most of them new. In 1998 I bought my last new one and put 330 miles on it. I loved the car so I bought another; a 2000. These Strutmaster struts make the car ride like new again. I don't think most people will notice the difference. I sure don't.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

------------------------
    this thread is going on 2 years old -

----------------------

too bad you didn't come here FIRST -

strutmasters usually go for around $400 for the front pair -
    they are ok - but nothing special -

we could have saved you over $200 by going with Monroe -
    oh well - maybe NEXT time -
    we usually know where the deals are - just ask -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.