99 STS Running Hot - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 99 STS Running Hot in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Get the purge line flowing before you abandon the car, even if the HG are blown and the fluid only ...
    Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Re: 99 STS Running Hot

Get the purge line flowing before you abandon the car, even if the HG are blown and the fluid only turned slightly green and there is no obvious white smoke coming out the exhaust then the HGs aren't blown that bad yet, if at all. You maiy get another year out of the car if you can get the water flowing in the cooling system.

maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark C
    Get the purge line flowing before you abandon the car, even if the HG are blown and the fluid only turned slightly green and there is no obvious white smoke coming out the exhaust then the HGs aren't blown that bad yet, if at all. You maiy get another year out of the car if you can get the water flowing in the cooling system.
    Since its so cold here, I noticed the white steam all the way home as I pedaled it back one mile at a time from 24 miles. I let it cool back to 12noon position each time, and never let it get into the red.

Pouring rain today and have no shelter. Gotta punt today. This is SO bad.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There is no temporary fix. The best you can do is get that purge line open (if you can). Either it is clogged or the HG is putting so much exhaust gases into the cooling system that there is nothing but air to come out of it, in which case you are in the severe stages of the failure and will not get more than a mile or two at a time out of it. Hard to say which position you are in. As Mark said, if it is the purge line and you can clear it, you may be able to nurse it for a while.

Gentleman by the name of Anthony near Ohare quoted me $2200 turnkey if the car's never been coiled before. I don't even know what that means. But that's better than the 5K by the dealer here. And it cost me $73 just for that 10 minute answer. I can do this...

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

I have reread the whole post.

From what I understand is that it passed the HG test twice and the pressure test once .Also the pump has been replaced.

If the surge line is OPEN and you do not get coolant flow I would suspect a bad pump.

First have a helper start and run engine at 1800 rpm look down surge tank if coolant level drops add a coolant mix while engine is running at 1800 rpm. fill and install cap. Next remove purge line at tank if no flow or coolant in tank does not drop..

Disconnect the upper radiator hose at the radiator and have helper run the engine if coolant does not come out under pressure the water pump is bad or the pump pulley is not turning the pump. Mike

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Anthony Addari. He is a Caddy tech that does side jobs at home. He did Rodney Pierce's car (in one day). He is in Franklin Park Ill. aaturbo124@yahoo.com 847-452-9312. He means $2200 if the engine has not been inserted before meaning this is the first HG repair.

OR

Joe Blau, Midwest Cadillac Repair in Palatine Ill. 847-776-1234. Joe has done well over 100 cars to date. His price is similar.

See post #54.

When it overheats do you loose coolant oout the overflow on the surge tank, in otherwords does it blow coolant out the surge tank cap, or does it just indicate that its hot? If its not actually pushing coolant out of the tank then it is probably just overheating from insufficient coolant flow in the system, and the purge line is the main reason for this, if it blows coolant out before the temp actually gets into the red, then its pumping exhaust gas into the system and overpressurizing the system and lifting the relief in the cap. When my 97 overheated (bought it with bad HGs) I could drive it probably 5 or 6 miles from dead cold before it would indicate it was hot and I should idle the engine. Funny thing was the engine and all the hoses were fairly cool to the touch. It was because the bad HG was in the rear and the temperature sender was actually exposed to the exhaust gas bubble in the rear head, which was way hotter than the actual coolant in the rest of the cooling system.

I have heard (2nd hand from a friend in a local auto store thats into Cadillacs) that someone he knew had a similar problem, and he installed a vent valve from a home hot water heat radiator into the purge line of an overheating car, and then he never had a significant overheat after that. This is one of those cylindrical vent valves with a float inside it, and a shrader like valve on the top. It has a 1/8" pipe thread on the bottom of it, to fit into a T fitting. You would have to pull the hollow bolt, find a "T" fitting that you could screw into the crossover manifold and the hollow bolt (maybe 3/8" thread?) with a 1/8" fitting for the vent valve, you screw the hollow bolt back into one leg of the "T" and the vent valve into the other vertically so the float will work correctly. The valves have floats in them and remain shut as long as there is water below them, but as they collect air the valve opens and bleeds the air out, then shuts. At least its a way to purge the exhaust gases out (if there are any), which will hopefully keep the pump clear of air, as well as keeping your coolant inside the cooling system instead of being pushed out when the system gets over pressurized. Might be worth a try, probably wouldn't cost much more than 20 bucks in parts.

The real key is getting that line cleared to see just how much of a problem you really have.

When it overheats do you loose coolant oout the overflow on the surge tank, in otherwords does it blow coolant out the surge tank cap, or does it just indicate that its hot?
    pushes it out thru the top of surge tank.

The real question is which happens first? Does it blow the water out and then overheat, or overheat and then push the coolant out. First one indicates a rather significant head gasket issue (or a faulty surge tank cap), the second one will happen after the car is really hot and the engine is shutdown due to heat soak once the coolant stops circulating.

What your telling us doesn't sound good, but there is still a possibility that its not fatal yet. Just need to exhaust all the possibilities before dumping another 2K+ into the car, or sending it to the cadillac graveyard.

The real question is which happens first? Does it blow the water out and then overheat, or overheat and then push the coolant out. First one indicates a rather significant head gasket issue (or a faulty surge tank cap), the second one will happen after the car is really hot and the engine is shutdown due to heat soak once the coolant stops circulating.
    it's fine until it overheats. I check when the gauge hits the 1:00 position and hotter. The coolant begins to spew when it gets around the 3pm position. Been out looking for cloth line wire but no luck. Clothes hanger too stiff to turn the angles. But I DID notice that two weeks after my last oil change I am now 1.5 quarts low (I topped it off right away). And I use full synthetic.

Did STS have a 2004 model?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad View Post
    Did STS have a 2004 model?
    No. All real STS (Seville Touring Sedan) production ceased in 06/03. There are a few overseas (export) STS titled as "2004" but that's an artifact of the titling country and the date of sale - there are no real "2004" STS.

Synthetic oil has absolutely no bearing on your oil consumption - did you DIY or have it done at an Oil Doodle, and do/did they properly fill the engine ? I assume you checked it yourself before you drove away............

Seafunk99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

I didnt read entire thread, but my 99 started running hot and spewing from surge cap...thought it was hg's but replaced the cap with the correct 18lb and it has not happened since. Runs perfect again.

Great. Someone is trying to sell me a 2004 with 60k on it.

nelson480 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade Red Raven

You can remove the T stat and unplug the level sensor from the surge tank, it will run with the fans on all the time.

Level sensor has nothing to do with the operation of the fans, its the temperature sensor. Doing that is like driving with the low oil pressure light in a car removed because its on all the time. Running a NStar without a T-stat is a sure way to overheat the engine, the cooling system in these cars are not like small block chevy cooling systems.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.