What Is Keeping My Trunk From Not Closing?!?!?!?!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What Is Keeping My Trunk From Not Closing?!?!?!?!? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK, I have had problems with the trunk pull down motor for the last couple years. In the past, when ...
    racinrod67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

What Is Keeping My Trunk From Not Closing?!?!?!?!?

OK, I have had problems with the trunk pull down motor for the last couple years. In the past, when it would quit working, I would pull the the switch, clean the two terminals, reinstall and it would work fine for months and then eventually it would stop working again.

Now, the fix that worked in the past isn't working. I can take 12 volts from the wiring harness plug to either side of the motor and it does work in both directions. I figured that the switch itself wasn't any good, so picked up a replacement at the chevy dealer. Installed it, but still nothing.

Testing the 4 wire harness plug to the switch with a VOM, The Orange/black stripe wire (A) has 12volts, The red wire (B) no voltage, the black wire (D) is body ground and the red/black stripe wire (E) also has 12 volts. The 3 wire switch in the trunk lid itself has continuity between the orange stripe wire (A) to black wire (B) when the switch is open and continuity between the yellow stripe wire (C) to black (B) when the switch is closed.

Where and what do I check next? What other component is part of this system? Should I be able to measure some voltage on the red wire (B)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: What Is Keeping My Trunk From Not Closing?!?!?!?!?

Remove the pull down motor and disassemble it. I'll bet you'll find worn brushes. They can be replaced. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Remove the pull down motor and disassemble it. I'll bet you'll find worn brushes. They can be replaced. Been there, done that.
    I already have. The brushes didn't look bad at all. I cleaned the commutator while it was apart. The motor itself seems to work fine. When I apply power to the terminals, it works in both directions.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

The red wire (B) goes to the lid release switch on the trunk lid. That is how the motor gets its ground connection, if the switch doesn't change state, or if the red wire doesn't have a ground connection when the trunk is latched, the motor won't energize and pull the trunk the rest of the way down. Looks like you need to check the ground connection (B) coming off of the lid switch to make sure it has a ground connection to the body. The black wire from the motor (D) connects to the same ground point in the trunk, but its connects to that ground point after the lid release switch in the circuit. The black wire is for the trunk lid lid open warning on the dash and for raising the trunk lid striker up when you open the trunk. If you have a good ground on wire D but the latch doesn't raise up when the trunk is open you have a problem with either the limit switch or the motor itself.

Thanks Mark. The limit switch is new, the motor works in both directions with power from the wiring harness, so I will check the body grounds for both switches.

Not really sure what was actually wrong with the system after all, maybe just a bad connection. I think I need to start calling her Christine again!!! I removed both switches to check their ground connections per Marks advice. Using jumper wires and my VOM, I start playing around with the system. With 12 volts through the switch to the motor and the lid switch closed, no ground to the red wire to complete the circuit. I know that can't be right, because the switch is new. Put the old switch back in and it works!!! That is the second GM electrical part that I've purchased in the past few months that has been defective. Sure throws you a curve ball when you're trying to isolate which component is faulty and the new part becomes the problem, ....frustrating.

OK, here I am again almost a year later with the same problem. It actually started acting up again about a month and a half ago. I found a complete working pull down system out of a car being parted out. I have swapped out the motor, the switch and the trunk lid switch and also checked the trunk ground. No matter which combination of original and parts car components are installed, this is what happens; when the trunk is opened, the motor raises, when the trunk is closed sometimes the lid pulls down and sometimes it doesn't. This might happen once every other week. After it sits for a few hours or sometimes overnight, it pulls down on its own. There has got to be a relay somewhere in the system that is giving me this intermittent problem. If so, where is it located?

Are you sure it is not the close switch contacts?

Are you sure it is not the close switch contacts?
    It is a possibility, both used switches work the same way, but, wouldn't a switch either work or not work, could it operate intermittently?

I suppose if the switch contacts are oxidized it might become intermittent, but I wouldn't swear to it. Same could be said for the relay contacts.

I suppose if the switch contacts are oxidized it might become intermittent, but I wouldn't swear to it. Same could be said for the relay contacts.
    Where is the relay located?

Probably in the fuse box.

Probably in the fuse box.
    My manual lists all the fuses in the three panel locations, but it does not list any relays for the pull down motor.

I do not see a relay here. Only a pull down fuse. The only relays I see are for the fuel pump and A/C compressor.
    http://bbbind.com/tech_database.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.