1999 STS Northstar problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1999 STS Northstar problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I am new to this forum and not a Cadillac owner yet. I am currently looking at a 1999 ...
    GeneralMotors1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None Yet

1999 STS Northstar problems

Hello, I am new to this forum and not a Cadillac owner yet. I am currently looking at a 1999 sts with the northstar v8 and i have some questions / concerns. It has 160xxx miles the power steering gets tight and loose here and there. there is a strong smell of anti freeze throughout the car but the current owner assures me he changed the water pump and radiator. The motor idles a little rough not that bad but its a Cadillac it should be smooth. If anyone has had one of these or has knowledge of whats wrong with it please be free to share your thoughts. Also the pulleys on the drivers side moves alot slower than the pulleys on the passanger side. i spoted that right off the bad so that might have something to do also. the car is reasonably priced but i dont want to buy something and drop a motor in it a couple months later keep that in mind thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1999 STS Northstar problems

Also the temp gauge rises slightly then goes back to midway. I let the car run for a while and there were no fluids under it so it has me stumped.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 1999 seville 4.6 N*

NEVER even consider a car with recently changed: Water Pump, Radiator, T-Stat, smells antifreeze, has a suspect amount of vapors out of the tailpipes, idle rough, has suspension codes.
    This is the reason it is for sale, the owner is hiding something from you. Don't even call back, the car is for sale for a reason, you should have been informed the car overheats, is loosing (using) coolant, basically is going to cost you ~$3000 in the first two weeks of ownership.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    To my novice skills this sounds like a car with issues. I've moved your thread to the forum with resources better suited for this car. Good luck.

i mean its only 2 k but like the sang if it sounds too good to be true it must be. i was just seeing if there is any easy quick fixes out there.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

That car doesn’t worth not even half that price as is now, bewared!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Especially a '99. You can almost bet it has a bad head gasket and it will cost you AT LEAST the purchase price to repair it. There is no quick fix. WALK AWAY!

Also the pulleys on the drivers side moves alot slower than the pulleys on the passanger side.
    Normal. The passengers side pulley is driven off of the crankshaft and the water pump pulley (drivers side) is driven off of the cam shaft.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

it worth 1200 max

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralMotors1 View Post
    i mean its only 2 k but like the sang if it sounds too good to be true it must be. i was just seeing if there is any easy quick fixes out there.
    There's a fix for it, but it isn't quick, nor cheap. I also wouldn't pay anywhere near $2000 for that car. I got my 1998 STS for the same price with a blown H/G, but the car is in great shape, it's fully loaded, and it only has 63k on it. Considering the P/S problem, the mileage, and the (assumed) H/G issue, I'd offer $750 for it.

That's if you really want it of course.

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

Why the heck are you guys just assuming its a HG issue?! My 99 has 165k on it, I replaced the water pump a little over a year ago because it broke. My temp gauge also moves up from the 12oclock position but never to the 1oclock, this happens maybe after driving a while then getting into traffic on the freeway or a long stoplight in the city or pulling into the gas station/7-11 for a few min then turning it on but as soon as I put it in Drive it goes back to 12.

The anti-freeze could possibly be the heater-core leaking into the cabin? My cabin stunk like anti-freeze for a few days a while back because my coolant overflow tank broke and all the coolant hit the hot engine and cause a ton of steam which went into the cabin when i opened the hook and the driver window was down, its gone now.

My power steering also gets tight after I've been driving a while and I go to pull into a parking space at a low speed, give it some gas and its fine. I need to get it flushed but I have been lagging on it, not sure if it will make a difference but who knows.

Honestly, drive the car, get it up to highway speed and see how it does after it sits idling for a while. You can even get a test kit to see if it does have HG issues.
    o14u2see and o14u2see like this.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Go to autozone get a block tester and a radiator pressure tester on loan you give them a deposit and they refund the deposit when returned. Do the tests that should satisfy the HG issue. With engine running pull the hose off the purge line water should flow out of the line.If these test turn out ok your good to go.Mike

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

i thought the OP said it was a Blown HG i made the mistake of not reading the entire thread twice before posting

I also wanteed to respond with what N-Caddy said never consider a N that had a Water pump radiator or t-stat changed ?
    why
    i know mine had t-stat and water pump changed 2 weeks before i bought it i saw the paper work from the dealer on all the workt hat was done and also it said it on the car fax water pump t-stat and changed and cooling system flush

i put about 60k on it before any HG issues arose

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    it worth 1200 max
    $700

bigmutt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jcresciSTS View Post
    Why the heck are you guys just assuming its a HG issue?! My 99 has 165k on it, I replaced the water pump a little over a year ago because it broke. My temp gauge also moves up from the 12oclock position but never to the 1oclock, this happens maybe after driving a while then getting into traffic on the freeway or a long stoplight in the city or pulling into the gas station/7-11 for a few min then turning it on but as soon as I put it in Drive it goes back to 12.

You can even get a test kit to see if it does have HG issues.
    Absolutely!
    I am in the same situation as you: (mileage, water pump replaced)

Yes, I suppose the SAFE thing to do in MOST situations is "walk away" from any car that's had any repairs in the last few years, eh? But then you'd be missing out on many good buys out there. So the answer is buy only a car with a warranty, right?

bigmutt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    $700
    No way! $75 maximum

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.