Help - overheating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help - overheating in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 97 Eldarado & when I got the car it was fine...The 1st day it started overheating I ...
    bigmike800 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help - overheating

I have a 97 Eldarado & when I got the car it was fine...The 1st day it started overheating I went to Jiffy lube and got everything under the hood flushed. Can somebody pleases teall me why it still over heats...I also put a brand new thermostat on there.

Actually it didnt start over heatin til I left Jiffy lube.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

Re: Help

I don't want to be the first to say it

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Headgaskets... prepare to save up some coin for a pricey repair (entire cradle has to be dropped, head bolt holes need to be re-studded, etc.). Visit the technical section of the forum for more guidance.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

from the lounge. Best of luck bud.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I'll be the second (and it's not in reference to head gaskets): You try to maintain this car on the cheap and you'll wind up in a GM dealer's anyway: Fixing the mistakes made by the Oil Doodle.

Maintaining the cooling system in the Northstar requires karma and a sense of TLC - refill it incorrectly and you have problems - guaranteed.

You need to go to Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips and look for cooling system threads - the Seville and Deville systems in your year group operate exactly the same, so read ALL threads of interest. Begin your search by looking for "purge line".

FWIW, the word "flush" is a no-no in Cadillacese - for any system.

97CadillacPimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SF 76k | '97 SLS (blown hg @154k - sold)

Re: Help - overheating

Don't let these guys scare you, it could be something else. Check the coolant level, run a pressure test on the system for any leaks and test the cap for correct psi, make sure the fans work, check the water pump belt for slipping and check the belt tension. You could also check the water pump itself. You could also check/clean the radiator fins for blockage.

If all of the above seems good, rent a block test kit from auto zone and get the test liquid from NAPA. If it turns yellow, you are probably looking at a head gasket. If it is, you can have it repaired from $1500-$3,000+ depending on where you go.

Edit: and like Sub just said, check the purge line!

98sts_guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): seville sts

There is a return water tube going to your fill bottle.. where that tube connects to the engine may be plugged. I had this problem on my 98 seville. The adapter screws out that the hose is attached to at the engine. take it out and check it, if it is plugged you may have to drill it out a little like I did because the OEM required the use of pellets and they plug up the return hose for the coolant to go to the bottle. Hope this helps out....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's called the purge line. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned earlier. Check that first.

EDIT:
    Oops, Sub mentioned it in post #5.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

quick oil/lube places flushing every system =

You might just have a huge air pocket in cooling system that is yet to be purged. Follow advices from people above ^^

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.