battery again??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, battery again?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My wife called me at work to say the STS was dead and she was late for an appointment. I ...
    EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

battery again??

My wife called me at work to say the STS was dead and she was late for an appointment. I drove home to check. Not even the trunk opener worked. I put a trickle charge on it for about an hour and it started and ran normally. The reading on the dash about 12.9 "Voltage Okay" as I drove it back to work. I'm going to check it again in about an hour. AAA is too slow!

I don't see that anything was left on. Is my battery going bad? I replaced it with another OEM style AC Delco in about '06. How many years are you getting out of them? '99 STS 105K miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Moneypit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado '83 Fleetwood

Re: battery again??

Your battery is almost certainly bad. You can verify that by having it tested for free at almost any name brand auto parts store.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

5 years? yea, i say the battery is going bad

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

5 years is a good average for a batteries life expectancy. I've had them go 7 or 8 years. Now and then one will last for 10 years.

arthur jack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS registered as new May 01

My 2001 registered, but built in 99, STS's battery will not hold its charge for more than a week. I have been coerced into buying a new battery for every 18 months of this car's life and have been assured there are no problems. Something must be drawing down power but I cant find it. I thought it was the security system but it isn't. Its OK if its driven every day but leave it parked for a week and........ (i mean, do STS owners disconnect the battery when you go on holiday or is this a standard Cadillac feature?)
    Sickenly, my wife's Chrysler has a fuse you can remove when you park up for more than 2 weeks to stop the battery running flat. I am now being told I need a battery optimizing charger but I would just love to be able to use the car and leave it in an airport car park and come back and not have to get the attendant to jump it. I'm starting to drift toward Audi.....do I need psychiatric help or do STS owners keep a spare battery in the boot?

Everything you are being told is BS. You have a voltage draw somewhere. Put a DVM in line between the negative cable and the terminal and get a reading at least :10 minutes AFTER the door has been closed to ensure the RAP system has turned off. If it is more than a few milliamps, start pulling fuses til the draw drops. Then you will know what circuit or component to concentrate on.

Lifer is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

The Deco batteries in my 06 STS have been replaced four times, all under warranty, and I was stranded each time, as the fine GM product gave me no warning. Next battery will be an Optoma.

Thank you Ranger!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My Ford Ranger dies if I don't run it for a couple of weeks so I went to NAPA, got a battery disconnect switch, and installed it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Rich_M is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante

I've left my 2002 STS at the airport many times anywhere from 3 to 5 days, summer or winter and never had a problem with starting it upon my return (work travel, economy outdoor parking). I did have a flat tire welcome me when I rerturned from a trip close to midnight and of course it was snowing. That was fun. Sounds like you have some gremlins in there.

My battery was fine this morning. I half expected it to be dead again. Last time it only took one night and it was stone cold. I found a new OEM AC Delco for $117 but I think I'll have the old one tested first. Was it just a fluke? Never found anything left on.

Just a final update: I had my old battery tested before I plunked down the $$ for a new one. The mechanic tried to charge it over night before running the tests. It wouldn't take a full charge anymore. Naturally it failed the tests.
    So I did buy the new 79-6Yr for $117. It was cheaper than Autozone. If you are in Wichita and need a new battery, visit Yost Automotive. It's the only place I'll take my cars when I can't do the work myself. They aren't cheap but they don't charge for work you don't need.

dennirob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS, Shale Metallic

I am glad this thread has come up. My battery in my 98 STS started sounding weak. It is an Advance Auto battery. I took it out, took to them, they charged it and said it is good. I took home, reinstalled. Then waterpump died. So, while I worked, installed pump, etc. about 5 days passed. Battery went dead. I jump started after finishing pump. Drove car, battery is still starting car, but seems weak. I took car to Advance this morning. They say battery shows a little low, approx 720 CCA, but to drive car a few days and see if charges. They also checked the alternator, starter, etc. Said when car was turned off, I have something drawing off th battery. I told they guy that there are numerous modules, etc and it is possible there is a draw for up to 10 mins. he said to take the car somewhere and have it checked. i said, that is why I am here. Anyway, he wants to point to car, I am pointing at the battery. Any thoughts? how would I put a meter in line Ranger?

Disconnect the negative cable. Connect one lead from your DVM to the negative battery post and the other to the cable. The DVM is now "in line".

Dear Ranger, Following on from your advice on ?August 23 2011. I did as you said and found the Bose Amplifier was the problem. What I dont understand is the car used to behave when it was new but during the past couple of years, the amplifier seems to continue to draw power long after the ignition is turned off but not always!!. I understand this is deliberate up to a point to allow the use of an integrated mobile or cellular phone. i had thought about puting a switch on the amplifier live power supply to make sure it stops working but this means of course that you cant sit in the car without running the battery flat quite rapidly listening to the radio. It seems to be drawing a minimum of 3 amps.
    Im 63 Ive had this car 12 years.... Its a labour of love but if you can comment on the above i'd be very grateful
    Kind rgds
    Arthur Jack, Devon, England UK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.