Interior swap, What modules/parts need to swapped from my car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Interior swap, What modules/parts need to swapped from my car? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm swapping the ENTIRE interior from another '01 STS into my car (color change from shale to black). What parts ...
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Interior swap, What modules/parts need to swapped from my car?

I'm swapping the ENTIRE interior from another '01 STS into my car (color change from shale to black). What parts will I need to swap from my car for everything to work properly? Most obvious is the ignition lock cylinder, but I notice the passkey module is mounted on the dash, I'm assuming that has to go onto the "new" dash. What about the reader/exciter on the lock cylinder? The DIM is a must too correct? Anything in/on the steering column? Nothing in the door panels, right? I'd rather swap whatever needs swapping while both dashes are in my living room, rather than in the car. Any insight is, as always, greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Interior swap, What modules/parts need to swapped from my car?

Don't change the DIM as it needs to be programmed with your VIN. Actually why you change these (key related) parts anyway?

I think you have my question backwards. I'm asking what parts/modules that are original to MY car, need to be swapped into the NEW (to me) interior that I will be installing. I need to swap the lock cylinder so that my key will work in the"new" dash, the passkey module would have to match my car and key as well, right?

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Just swap the lock cylinder along with the reader/exciter. Everything will work fine. As the name implies, the reader/exciter merely excites and reads the RFID chip in the key. It then sends the information it reads to the theft deterrent (VTD) module which in turn relays information to the PCM. All of this information must agree with values stored in the modules themselves before the car will start. No need to replace any of the electronic modules--if you do, re-programming will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampeastMike View Post
    All of this information must agree with values stored in the modules themselves before the car will start.
    Right. So why would my key/lock cylinder/exciter match the values in the passkey module on the donor cars dash? Would I not have to install MY cars original passkey module into the new dash?

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

The passkey module is part of your instrument panel you have to keep the original instrument panel (IPC) since it it programmed with your VIN and contains your original mileage. All you need to swap is the trim cover on the ignition switch from shale to black Everything else stays in your original dash carrier (not the plastic trim cover that you are changing to black) No modules need to be changed to swap an interior, you keep all your original modules. some of them may be attached to the back of panels you are removing, but just diconnect them from the panel and reattach to the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    Everything else stays in your original dash carrier (not the plastic trim cover that you are changing to black) No modules need to be changed to swap an interior, you keep all your original modules.
    ENTIRE DASH (carrier) is being swapped, no plastic trim to remove other than the knee bolster.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Right. So why would my key/lock cylinder/exciter match the values in the passkey module on the donor cars dash? Would I not have to install MY cars original passkey module into the new dash?
    The reader/exciter in the ignition switch only reads information. It does not store or compare to any value. It will read any similar key. It is the job of the VTD and PCM to verify that that the information read is valid. Zero need to change any of the electronic modules. Just swap the ignition key cylinder so that your current key works physically. It may even be easier to just swap the trim plate around the ignition switch.

If you swap the VTD module the car will not start--even if you use the complete cylinder and key from the donor.

The system is very different than the earlier that uses a resistor in the key. Yours uses an embedded chip that when excited with electromagnetic energy literally transmits a unique identification to the reader. Again, the reader does just that--read--other modules use that information to determine if the key is valid.

I've studied the FSM and am positive that the reader/exciter can be changed without reprogramming anything. Change the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent) module however and things MUST be re-programmed. A factory fresh VTD will automatically accept the first key used, but unless that key is the original, the PCM has to be reprogrammed. Swap the VTD module with a used donor and it will not accept your original key, nor will the PCM accept a donor key even if the donor key is used with a donor VTD.

Is the VTD module what I have been referring to as the passkey module? (located under the drivers side of the dash with a label that reads PASSKEY III)

Is the VTD module what I have been referring to as the passkey module? (located under the drivers side of the dash with a label that reads PASSKEY III)
    Yes that is the VTD module. DO NOT SWAP!!!

The reader/exciter is attached to the ignition key cylinder. If you swap the cylinder you will also swap the reader/exciter. Again, no problem to swap the reader/exciter.

Also do not swap the DIM (behind the glove box).

Also do not swap the TTM (tilt-telescope module). It's up and under the dash on the driver side to the left of the steering wheel. If you swap the TTM, differences in personalization settings can require a Tech-II to get things back in sync.

So DON'T SWAP the VTD, DIM or TTM from MY dash into the new dash I will be installing? That sounds backwards.

We're backwards in our "swaps". Make certain that the VTD, DIM and TTM from YOUR car stay in YOUR car!

Also use YOUR radio and YOUR climate control. The radio has a theft-lock and the climate control unit contains an electronic module that must be reprogrammed if changed.

I can't think of any other modules that might need to be retained, but in general keep EVERYTHING from YOUR car that has purple and/or purple-white wires. The purple and purple/white wires link the main data system and most everything in that system requires some sort of reprogramming with a Tech-II if replaced.
    SDAIGS, SDAIGS and Tankboy40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampeastMike View Post
    We're backwards in our "swaps".
    I was beginning to think so.

Ok, now it makes sense. The reader/exciter doesn't matter, all other modules you mentioned must remain with MY car. I was aware the HU had to stay, didn't know the climate controls did as well.

Anything in the front seats that you're aware of? If not, I'l just be on the lookout for purple, purple/white wires. Thank you for the info.

I was beginning to think so.

Ok, now it makes sense. The reader/exciter doesn't matter, all other modules you mentioned must remain with MY car. I was aware the HU had to stay, didn't know the climate controls did as well.

Anything in the front seats that you're aware of? If not, I'l just be on the lookout for purple, purple/white wires. Thank you for the info.
    Nothing I know of in the seats, but don't replace the modules that are underneat the carpet below both of the front seats. The one under the driver seat is the memory seat module; the one under the passenger seat is the airbag module.

Were you able to remove your headliner intact? If so and if you have a moon roof and the headliner is in good shape, I'd like to buy. Mine has some cigarette burns from a previous owner and my repairs are good but not perfect.

I do have a factory moon roof, but since I bought the car, there has always been a slight line/bend right in front of the overhead console. Haven't removed it yet, but I assume the headliner is cracking in that area. I notice that the Velcro used to hold that section of the liner to the roof tends to detach from the steel on many Sevilles I've been in, causing it to sag slightly and crack.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.