The 2000+ Seville side of Ranger's Rods
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, The 2000+ Seville side of Ranger's Rods in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just back from a 35 mile drive after installing a set of upper engine strut rods as discussed at length ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The 2000+ Seville side of Ranger's Rods

Just back from a 35 mile drive after installing a set of upper engine strut rods as discussed at length in Deville. Why ? They greatly relieve torque stress on the weak Northstar engine cradle front center mount for starters. Now for the good stuff....

The entire front end is tighter: remember that the whole drivetrain is suspended on "Cadillac mush rubber". The rods remove a LOT of front-to-back drivetrain movement. Steering is more precise. The change in transmitted engine vibration and mechanical noise is, in my installation, negligible. Braking is quicker, surer, and a slight improvement on top of my EBC total brake install of a month ago. Steering is wonderful - sure and quick - I can play NASCAR driver and scrub my front and rear tires to my heart's content.

Two hours, start to finish. I made two curved bent galvanized washers to cradle the bottom of the rod in the driver's side lift strap install. A round head carriage bolt in the driver's side frame beam protects the upper coolant hose from chafe. Nylon locknuts all around - a lock washer on the passenger side head fitting & anti-seize. Note that the drop of the crossbeam lip and the radiator retainer bracket on the Seville precludes the Deville through bolt ease on the passenger side.

Before you start this job, on level ground with the hood open and the engine OFF in P, place your knees against the front bumper and "rock" the car back and forth. Watch the engine movement. Now try it after the torque strut install................heh, heh.

We're headed out on a 125 mile round trip dinner drive tomorrow eve - any further thoughts will be posted in here.

AS ALWAYS: Measure twice, cut/drill once !

1. Driver's side fitting (you can't see it here, but the tube has been carefully squeezed egg-shaped in a vise to allow it to seat in the lift strap)
    2. Measure twice, drill once (this hole goes down at a 5 degree angle through the back of the brace)
    3. Drill and screw
    4. Magnets capture drill chips - not the alternator
    5. Driver's side view (with a bit of eyeball and fitting the strut will lie flat on the brace when tightened)
    6. Passenger side view
    7. Radiator cover installed (Dremel tool metal straight burr and box cutter blade for smooth cutouts)
    8. From passenger side
    9. From driver's side (make sure the upper radiator hose is up in the channel provided in the radiator cover)
    GizmoQ, GizmoQ, Jailtime and 5 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: The 2000+ Seville side of Ranger's Rods

thanks sub - I just ordered a set from Ranger for my 2003 SLS. Your pics will help a lot!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Thanks for posting this Sub. Looks like the passengers side has to be modified just a bit from the way I designed them for the Deville. Apparently you did not need the cutout for the Deville radiator mounting bracket. I see you shortened the right side strut beyond that. I'm sure this will be a big help to the Seville guys. Glad to hear you like them.

Basscatt, yours where shipped today.

Skiller. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

And yet another project for me......

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Can't wait until I install mine. Thanks for the great tip!

cadi509 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int

Very good modification that I'll be looking into lol, whats the average cost of this?

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    Can't wait until I install mine. Thanks for the great tip!
    Yours where shipped today as well.

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Those look just like my install. I see that you drilled through that flange on the passenger side, instead of going over the brace like the driver's side. I puzzled over the passenger side for a while, finally got it into my thick head that I could bolt easily right to that flange.

You didn't notice an increase in engine noise in the cabin? Mine was significant.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Far from the idea of criticizing this mod, but I was just wondering, how difficult it will be to use the same dog bones as the ones used in the up to ’97 Seville, up to ’99 Deville and up to ’02 Eldorado?

I was just looking at the pictures of a ‘02 Eldorado and I see the old fashion bracket on the passenger side (I would assume the mounting points are avalailable as the engine block is the same), so is just a matter of finding a bracket (hopefully the PS line is no issue). On the driver’s side all I can see is the engine lift bracket is different (not sure about the fuel lines how they would get alone with the bracket though). So the engine side seems fairly easy, but for the body front brace, well I can’t see other way but welding the brackets in place although it looks a lot flimsier than the Eldorado/Older Seville. I am only concerned for the dimensions to be the same.
    The only reason I am thinking on this is the factory look and the fact they do have some give.

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    wondering, how difficult it will be to use the same dog bones as the ones used in the up to ’97 Seville, up to ’99 Deville and up to ’02 Eldorado?
    Looked at dog bones and their mounting brackets in CompNine and GMPartsGiant diagrams. A/C and P/S piping very different: interference. Also appears that the radiator/body cross brace is different in the 2000+ Sevilles; it is radically different from the Devilles. I've never seen a late Eldorado with the plastic radiator sight shield off. Some of the necessary engine threaded holes seem to be missing in mine.

Someone with a lot more detective in them than I currently have could score a complete rig from a junkyard and do some trial-and-error work................

Jailtime, I think there might be a slight increase in what I would call a "low hum" but not sure. Whatever, the noise level has not changed appreciably, or for the worse. If it does, I will look at filling the entire front cross brace with insulation foam to damp out any harmonics.

I am sure anything is possible with a little good ole Yankee ingenuity, but I never really looked at them and just how to mount them.

The only reason I am thinking on this is the factory look and the fact they do have some give.
    I can understand the factory look. They do have some play in them. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that little bit of play is detrimental, but why do you think it is desirable?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that little bit of play is detrimental, but why do you think it is desirable?
    The factory dog bones DO have rubber sound/vibration isolation bushings - a good thing - but that's the part that rots and causes the need to replace dog bones.

Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

The only think missing from the rod mods are a polyurethane bushing - just enough to provide a tad bit of isolation. Since I have the dogbones in my '95, and they have a slight amount of play due to wear on the rubber, I was wondering if anyone has run into an acceptable urethane replacement?

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    I think there might be a slight increase in what I would call a "low hum" but not sure. Whatever, the noise level has not changed appreciably, or for the worse.
    You hit right on what I'm trying to describe. There's just a bit more rumble from the engine in the cabin (at WOT, mostly). I didn't really notice anything at cruising speeds, and there's definitely no added vibration.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Any for my 97 ETC?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.