How to unlock my new radio using TechII?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By N*Caddy
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, How to unlock my new radio using TechII? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My radio was working perfectly fine, but the paint on some of the buttons was peeling off, and the tragedy ...
    ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

How to unlock my new radio using TechII?

My radio was working perfectly fine, but the paint on some of the buttons was peeling off, and the tragedy is the previous owner had tried to paint them using non-matching color!

Anyway, I purchased a used Bose radio. It comes from a 98 SLS and I have the VIN. As you know the VIN number is stored inside the radio and when the system realizes the VIN of the car and the VIN of the radio are not matching it locks the radio, as it has happened to me. Took the car to a friend/mechanic who has the TechII. He tried to unlock the radio, but no success. When we browse to the radio, there is an option named "relearn" to update the VIN, when we pushed the button TechII says turn off the radio and turn it on again before pushing the review button. We did it, and selected the "Review"but no success. Does anyone know what is wrong in this middle?

I am pretty sure that I have installed the radio correctly and it is working. After installing the radio and before turning on the car, I checked the radio, it was working perfectly fine. But when I started the car the car realized that the VINs are not matching it locked the radio!

Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: How to unlock my new radio using TechII?

SO before starting the car it was working fine, witch make me assume now you only have the text "THEFTLOCK ENABLED" on the screen when you turn it on. I also assume your chimes and clock are working correctly right?
    Now when you selected the car you used the same models and year as yours (or perhaps you used your VIN)?
    If the above are all met then the relearn procedure should work. Thing is I don't remember having a message to restart the radio...but is been 3 years since.

Why don't you keep your original HU and just swap the front plate, you actually don't even need to swap the front plate all you need to swap is the plastic fascia and the buttons (but the whole assembly including the PCB is easier). If you look around the rear edges of the fascia you will notice some clips (8) garbing into some notches on the metal case. You need to make some shims (6) to insert underneath these clips just enough to clear the notches (very carefully not to brake the clips). The whole front end of the HU should release that way and all you need to do is disconnect the ~10 wires harness attaching the display/button assembly to the rest of the HU.
    The technique I use to release the clips is a flat head screwdriver inserted underneath (slowly) to lift the plastic clip(tab) and insert a piece of paper (holder in 5-6) to hold it in that (released) position.

Yes, the clock is working, and the text says "THEFTLOCK ENABLE".

This Bose radio is from a 98 SLS, as I checked its VIN. But my car is 99 STS. Does it make a difference?

Your idea about swapping the front plate sounds good.... By the way, where is the register that stores the VIN of the radio? I am assuming it is not located on the PCB board that I am going to swap. Else I will end up in the same situation, "THEFTLOCK ENABLED"

Is on the main PCB, stored in the main chip, the one you are replacing is the front PCB (with the display and the buttons), that is an auxiliary plate.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int

Isn't there a small 2032 battery inside the stereo or is that only the denso navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by cadi509 View Post
    Isn't there a small 2032 battery inside the stereo or is that only the denso navigation.
    No, that's for the NAV units.

Update:

I swapped the front plates successfully! I took some pictures just for case that someone else in future wants to do the same job and the pictures might help. Swapping was as simple as N*caddy described. However there was a hidden nut behind the volume knob connecting the front plate to the radio. After struggling with the radio for couple of minutes and then scratching my head for couple of more minutes I started to disassemble the radio as much as I can to discover what still holds the front plate to chassis and that is how I could find that nut sitting there....

Anyway, the pictures and explanation:

I forgot to take picture from removing the radio from the car, but it was simple. Use an small screw driver to pry out the black trim above the radio unit. Behind it there is an small bolt. Simply unbolt it.

Then remove the wooden trim around your shifter. Again use an small screw driver to pry out the trim. There are three wires connected to the switches on the trim. Two of the wires go to the heated seat buttons and the last one goes to the traction control. Remove those wires. To remove the trim you need to shift your car to N. Put something in front and behind the tires to stop the car from rolling. Then turn on the car, put the shifter in N or D and then shut down the car. Now you can remove the trim. Just below the AC unit there are two bolts, the same size as the top one. Unbolt them. Then slide the radio and AC units out. Notice AC and Radio units are bolted to a chassis and it is hard to remove one of them without sliding out the whole chassis. There are two cables connected to the AC unit and one cable to the Radio. Unplug them. Also there antenna cable is connected to the radio unit. Simply grab it and pull it out, it will come out. Now you can remove the assembly from the car. There are 4 bolts connecting the radio unit to the chassis. Unbolt them. Also to make the life easier, unbolt the 2 bolts that connect the AC unit to the chassis. Now you can easily remove the radio from the chassis.

Removing the front plate:
    There are 5 clips on the front plate that are engaged to some notches on the body of the radio. To release these clips, you need to carefully pry out them by use of a very tiny screwdriver or a knife. The trick is you need to pry out and pull out all the clips simultaneously, else you will break the clip. I used a bunch of small screwdrivers, and I used each one to pry out different clips.
    I am pointing to two of these clips in following picture:

The front plate will partially come out, but something holds it to the main body. This is the point that I stuck at it for a while... There is a hidden nut behind the volume knob and you need to remove it as well. Use an small screwdriver to pry out the volume knob.

The volume knob sits on a shaft, and this shaft is connected to the main body. But this shaft is connected to the front plate using a nut too. Simply remove the nut using an small nut driver.

Right now the front plate is separated from the main body, BUT there is a cable running between the front plate and the main body. You need to remove this cable from the main body of the radio. To do this, we need to have access to the main board of the radio. The top and bottom metal covers of the radio are removable. By removing bottom cover, you will have access to the cable. These covers are hold in place using some metal clips and you need to simply pry out them. This time since the clips are metallic, you can use some force without being worried about breaking them.

In following picture I am pointing to the cable you need to remove. This cable has no harness, the cable itself goes into the socket. Simply grab it and pull it out. Now your front plate is completely removed from the radio.

To install the new (used) front plate, start from the cable. Plug the cable back to the socket on the main board. There is something that you need to be careful. There is an small PCB connected to the shaft that goes into the volume knob. This small PCB board has an small hook and there is an small hole on the main board. You need to make sure that the hook is inside the hole. The hole is right near to the cable socket we spoke about. Put back the bottom cover of the radio. Just push it and it will sit in its place. Then align the front plate and push it to the main body so that all notches goes into the clips. Put the nut back, and insert the volume knob back to its place.

Then bolt the radio and AC unit to the chassis. And bolt the chassis to the car, put the top trim and the wooden trim back to their place. Congratulations, your radio has a new face! Enjoy!

---------
    P.S: By the way, just for the case that the gentleman who owned the car before me is reading here: You suck man! Who paints a radio like this?!?!

I know that back in 1999 you paid 47,870$ for this car. So why were you treating the car like this?

Oh sorry forgot to mention about the nut behind the volume/power knob.
    Now you can do this:

BTW, that HU was not repainted what you see pealing is the factory paint. The fascia is made of black plastic (you can see it under the paint) and the buttons are made of white plastic (because of the illumination) and you can see that also on the BAND button.
    Apparently the previous owner really, really, really enjoyed the local FM stations.

By painting I don't mean the whole radio, I mean just the area where the paint was pealed off. As far as I see and touch the paint on band button had pealed off and then the guy used some (non matching) black touch up paint to paint the band button and even he wasn't careful in painting and as you can see he painted around the button as well....

Yeah, yeah, that black thing you see is not paint is the actual plastic fascia, look carefully.
    The HU is painted by factory to that color, if you peel the paint away, the fascia is black plastic and the buttons are white plastic.
    The volume knob is black plastic covered with a rubber cap, in the '96-'97 units the knob was also painted black plastic (it was smooth).

Edniceville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

My 2000 SLS radio won't come on after a battery swap. There is no indication anywhere of "theftlock enabled". Is there a code to get it to play after a battery swap?

Disconnect the battery wait 20 seconds or so then connect back. The HU does not forget the VIN if you remove the battery (or the HU) for 10000 years. You have a data communication error.
    Do you see the clock display on the HU (always 12:00) when pressing one of the clock buttons? If so the HU is not able to communicate with the DIM (so is like is not installed in the car).

kickback is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

Replacing Radio Face Plate and Worn Buttons

This thread was very helpful to me (thanks )and I want to add a couple of notes. I did this work on our 2003 Deville (with column shifter), which has an easier removal of the radio from the dash.

I picked up a nice face plate from the local salvage yard. When I installed it, I forgot the white rubber insulator and fried one of the wires on the white ribbon cable, so I had to take the replacement back out and go the route of replacing the buttons on on the original one.

So, MAKE SURE THAT YOU INSTALL THE WHITE RUBBER INSULATOR!!

The additional step to swap out the worn buttons with the nicer ones required one additional step of removing two small screws to reveal the buttons, which were easy to replace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.