Cadillac Owners Forum banner

96 STS loud noise coming from air shocks

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
96 STS loud noise coming from air shocks.... I was just going to buy new air shocks (w/o the sensor) but a mechanic friend of mine says it sounded like the compressor was running on empty, leaking or bad.... He said I should be able to just replace the air shock compressor???? I'm a novice so I'm not sure how to diagnose if i need to replace the air shocks or the just the compressor....HELP!!

Thanx
Vbo

#2 · (Edited)
I'm assuming, because your friend thinks it may be the compressor, that the noise is a humming/buzzing sound? (I have no idea what to make of the comment about the compressor "running on empty) The shocks cannot make that noise. The only reasons you would replace the rear shocks is if the rubber bladder/s was ruptured, or if they were worn and no longer capable of damping bumps and controlling the ride of the vehicle. You will need to confirm that the compressor is whats making the noise.

When does the noise occur?

Is it constant?

Do you have a service suspension message on the dash?

It might be a good idea to check for trouble codes, here's how:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ldorado-forum/138258-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

If you have any codes, post them, AND their definitions, here. (there's a link on that page with definitions)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.