1999 Seville Shocks and struts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1999 Seville Shocks and struts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So as we all know the CVRSS shocks and struts for this car cost an astronomical price, so i am ...
    judgeman6691 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville SLS, 2012 Cadillac Escalade

1999 Seville Shocks and struts

So as we all know the CVRSS shocks and struts for this car cost an astronomical price, so i am looking for a good replacement. I know of the Arnott shocks and struts allow you to keep the self leveling suspension and has a special input to bypass the CVRSS system so the error message doesn't display on the DIC. I also did a "which shocks should i choose" on Monroe's website and it suggested some Sensa-Trac shocks over the OEM Electronic controlled socks that they produce (which i found a little odd). So my question is, which shocks should i get, the Arnot, the Monroe or just stop being cheep and buy the OEM shocks. Other recommendations??

Also what is the difference between Electronic controlled shocks and these "Passive" shocks.

and third

Has any one replaced their shocks with any of these (or others) and how is the ride quality compared to the OEM shocks??

Thanks-

The Only way to Travel is Cadillac Style

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: 1999 Cadillac Seville Shocks and struts

for me im only going to go OEM when its time to change them

its really up to you
    some will say and even criticize you if you choose to convert over to passive

Monroe makes a shock they claim to be active but some have mentioned recently that they are not and they are just passive i with a resistor built in like the conversion kits some say they are active no one really knows no one has ever opened one up

if you go passive and are going to convert because of the price to go OEM get whatg ever shocks eat your heart away and you like just get a resistor to bypass it google the info here there have been atleast 5 threads int he last 2 months on shocks and struts for the sevilles

jzrobles@gmail.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville SLS

I replaced active shocks with passive ones on a Lincoln Mark VIII. It makes more sense especially if you're going to keep the car for any length of time and the ride was perfectly fine, NO noticeable difference. In fact because the older shocks were worn, the ride and handling was much better. The promised calibration you get for electronic controlled (voodoo) shocks probably has some learning to still do, and the cost is ...well stupid. I'm looking for a passive system for my 99 Seville next month. Replacing the roll bars, control arms, motor mounts, trans mounts, coils, wires, plugs and AC actuators - 1700 bucks and some elbow grease. Expect to keep this car another 100,000 miles then replace the shocks again for about 800 bucks in the future.. maybe less.

seville04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Just replaced my rear shocks with Arnott about 2 weks ago. Very happy with the ride and function. Paid about $250 on Amazon. Very easy to replace.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

what is the difference between Electronic controlled shocks
    and these "Passive" shocks.

electronic or "active" shocks and struts have electronically controlled valves
    that constantly change from very firm to very soft ride
    depending on speed - direction - road conditions etc -

"passive" shocks and struts have a fixed valve that never changes -

unless you drive very aggressively - "on the edge" so to speak -
    you probably will never miss the "added control" active shocks/struts give -

I highly recommend Monroe products -
    the Sensa-Trac struts and MaxAir rear shocks would be MY choice -
    and save a lot of money -

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

I got the 40021/22 off Amazon a few weeks ago, $350. 175k on my Caddy and the struts were done for, lots of bottoming out and noisy. Instantly the ride was changed, also got rid of my C1711 - Left Front Damper Actuator Short Circuit to Ground code....for about 6 days, cleared codes then came back in 6 days again, and now it comes back every single time I start the car. I'm hoping its just a ground wire problem, shall see on Monday.

crthorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

I went to autozone both my mounts at 74 each and struts for 110 each then I removed the sensor from my old struts and mounted them to the car with zip ties. works great and I have more power on take off and the best part is that autozone has lifetime warranties for the struts and mounts. this may not be the best but I am not about to pay 4,000 for new struts for the front and rear of my car. screw that. I can use that money for other things I need for the car LOL

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If you're going to keep preaching about these "Auto Zone specials" (it might be helpful to post the actual part brand), you might want to let people know that using your method, they will NO LONGER have active suspension. And there are no "sensors" in the shocks or struts, there are electronic actuators used to vary damping force.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by crthorne
    and I have more power on take off
    NO, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have any more power, in any way shape or form.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Anyone will tell you that by putting on brand new passive replacement shocks, that the ride of their car is "just fine" or "better than before"

Brand new passive shocks vs OEM shocks with torn bladders or a not working CVRSS valve.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lets here someones impression on this:

replace OEM shocks with passive aftermarket, then chang those to brand new OEM's. Tell us whats better.

My 99 is approaching 200,000 km's. All 4 shocks are still working, i can FEEL the ride changes as i drive the car. The bladders leak, if the car sits for a week... But when the rears do go, i have a used set of OEM's with 60k miles on them on standby. I also have a set of arnotts with less than 2000 miles on them. They wont go anywhere near my car.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

end of fall last year picked up 2 rear monroe active replacments 40029 40030
    found great deals on them they where 350 for both of them one was a open box return had no sighn of ever being installed so i kept that one open box the new one that came was new so didn't worry about it put them on and the rear rides great no leaking nothing bad
    if i had stayed up in Ohio with all my Driving Cleveland to Detroit city driving would have for sure had to repalce the frotns by now but they still ride nice the roads down in FL are btter then they are up in ohio and mi thats for sure
    so i think i got another year unless the electrical int hem go out

aghgrn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS Sport traded for 2002 Eldorado ECS #1427

Replaced my CVRSS/air ride suspension in my 2002 Eldorado ETC w/100,000 miles because the car would "shimmy" over concrete expansion joints. I had it replaced with a completely passive Monroe system (no air ride height adjustment either) and resistors to keep the codes from coming on for $1,400 including alignment and balancing. Just replacing the CVRSS struts was quoted at $2,900 with the alignment and balancing. The air/self leveling system was currently ok, but was warned the rubber components and/or pump generally wear out around 10 - 12 years old and cost another $1,500 or so (not a firm quote). It was this particular shop's first Eldorado conversion - they said they were doing a lot of Escalades. As a daily driver to and from work it has a smooth, comfortable, quiet ride - no way I would spend the money on a 10 year old car to keep the OEM system. Some day when I have more dollars than sense I might considering converting back for those rare occasions I take a hairpin turn at breakneck speeds. I also believe the front wheel drive really puts a damper on that kind of driving anyway (the wrong wheels spin too).

I'll give ponyboyt credit though - I've never driven one with the system working properly and like MoistCabbage says - I consider it an ESC with the 300hp Northstar now and prefer to have the money in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by aghgrn
    Just replacing the CVRSS struts was quoted at $2,900 with the alignment and balancing. The air/self leveling system was currently ok, but was warned the rubber components and/or pump generally wear out around 10 - 12 years old and cost another $1,500 or so (not a firm quote).
    FWIW, if you had replaced everything with factory parts, there would have been no need for an alignment, and wheel balance has nothing to do with shock/strut replacement.

The only rubber components in the ELC system are the air bladders in the shocks, so those would have been replaced with the shocks. $1,500 is about twice what it would cost to replace the remaining components, if needed. Even new parts, from the dealer, no discount, you'd spend ~$500 on a compressor, $200 on lines.

Were there helper springs installed with the non ELC shocks? If not, the rear WILL sag when weight is added. The stock springs were never intended to handle extra load by themselves.

Glad you're satisfied, and enjoy your high output ESC .

nzane1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

today yo can buy a 1999 cad seville for less than a pair of replacement OEM shocks. Just wondering why anyone would do that? It's a real question, I must be missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by nzane1
    today yo can buy a 1999 cad seville for less than a pair of replacement OEM shocks.
    But it would likely be in "beater" condition.

I replaced my shocks and struts with active OEM units a couple of years ago. For some people, maintaining a vehicle has nothing to do with its market value, the point is to keep it functioning and performing as designed, with the highest quality parts.

There are several sources for OEM active dampers at a big discount. And there are other alternatives.

Monroe makes active replacements for even less.

Passive, ELC compatible shocks are available, and are VERY inexpensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.