Mirror tilt in reverse
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Mirror tilt in reverse in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Red face Mirror tilt in reverse

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Presenting MIRROR TILT IN REVERSE in a ’97 Seville STS (just watch the mirror).

Yes this is no joke, you are looking at a (late) ’97 Seville STS not a ‘98-’02 Eldorado.
    You owning ‘98-’02 Eldorado may also recognize the following:

but again, this is in a ’97 STS.

Probably you may remember this thread, I was on a quest to figure out why is my VAT non standard. All I wanted was to replace my keys with gold plated ones. Since I was on this path and apparently the ONLY way to fix the issue was replace the IPC, I started thinking, since I pretty much have to do it why not getting the extra features from the ‘98-’02 Eldorado. After most of the GM dealers sent me for a walk telling me this is impossible, further more told me there is nothing wrong with my VAT (although they were unable to actually measure it) and must be my car wiring…I took the matter into my own hands. With help from Rippy who told me about Specmo, the company that (legally) reprograms the mileage in your GM replacement IPC, I purchased a ’98 Eldorado IPC along with a MMM module. Had the new IPC sent to Specmo in Detroit for reprogramming to match my mileage for the next oil change (and VIN), and installed the ‘98-’02 MMM. This is how I finally got my dream mirror feature (not because I need it but because I want it) plus my IPC has a standard VAT.
    You would not believe what planning I did in the last days for every trip I made, measured on the map to the exact yard just to make sure my car is in the shop ready to swap the IPC in the exact moment. The magic mileage was 155650. Today as I was pulling in front of the shop my mileage was 155649.9. All I had to do is around 100 yards in the parking lot so as I was pulling the car in the shop the mileage rolled to 155650. I literally matched the mileage to the EXACT yard.
    Here is the original IPC in the very last second before shutting down the car:

And here is the new IPC in the very first seconds after installation.

When I say new IPC I mean new IPC motherboard, I preserved the case and the front PCB (the one with the gauges). I also installed new LED lights with “second generation design” using 12 – 4.8 mm LEDs instead of the previous design (only 9 LEDs).

Here is the final result:

Now back to the second clip, notice that one of the settings in the feature-programming menu is “HORN SOUNDS AT LOCK”, anybody with a ‘98-’02 Eldorado can confirm please for me that once this feature is activated you get the horn beep when pressing the remote lock button twice?
    To access the feature programming simultaneously press SKIP and NO for ~3 seconds then you get to the menu in the clip, press YES to activate the feature and NO to deactivate.

You would think the install went smooth, in a way it went, I removed the old IPC, swapped the motherboard, installed the new LED, followed the 60 minutes ignition password relearn procedure and the car started with no issue. BUT, once it started I was getting the “SERVICE AIRBAG” message scrolling on the DIC. Well for one minute I scratched my head, I found I get B1155 and B1159 codes as current (SDM), then I referred to the good ol’ FSM. Well they were explaining is the Reg A and B values of the IPC not matching with the SDM in the SOH message between IPC and SDM. This message is a composition of Reg A and B plus partial VIN. I was afraid the VIN in the IPC was programmed wrong. Plus the FSM indicates that this happens if the wrong IPC or SDM is installed and the repair instruction is “write down the Reg A and B values from the IPC overrides into the service sheet”. Well for 10 minutes I was pretty upset until found that the A and B reg. values are platform specific (2 door, 4 door and limo). So I have a 2 door (Eldorado) IPC talking to a 4 door (Seville) SDM, this “service” of the IPC basically consists in setting up the proper A and B reg values using the normal override procedures. They could have JUST SAID IT SO in the FSM but nooooo, why revealing such a big secret…oops did I just told you that!
    So once I set the proper values in the registry codes gone, “SERVICE AIRBAG” gone, airbag light OFF- ALL GOOD!

Basically in this moment I drive the car GM never produced, a ’98 Seville STS with a ‘92-’97 body, it literally has all features a ‘98-’02 Eldorado has, including the In-Dash CD BOSE HU (1+12 Disk + AUX input).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: Mirror tilt in reverse

hey awesome congrats

yeah specmo is one place the dealres don't like to tell you about but sometimes you get one who does not really care about money and will tell you about specmo
    thats how i found out about them 2 years ago

this one dealer wanted like 1100 dollar to replace my Dash cluster when i was going to do that
    this other daler said call specmo its what the dealer that wanted 1100 would do
    so i called they said send the old one in and they would get me an echange unit for 450 after shipping
    but then they said whats wrong
    and well i aid the SES light does not come on they said they can rebuild units 60 bench fee plus the work they need to do
    so i was thinking off that untill i figured i can do this myself probalby take me a few days with not knowing what the hell im doing but even if i did go to specmo the girl who usualy answers the phone there is great she even tried to contact evyeroen she could think off to try and find me a new screen for my gps a year back yup they do fix more then just clusters there
    but she said they just cant get delphi gps parts dam company i mean delphi whats up with that

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Nice work..........Now, when are you going to circumnavigate the U.S. clockwise, coming down the eastern Shore this time ????

Skiller. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Amazing work my friend! I can't believe some of the things you do with your car..!!

P.S. If you come down the Eastern Shore, you will drive right through my hometown from Toronto

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Hey N-Caddy did you ever get that board you where fabricating to work for the Parrott blue tooth or have you not had much time on it ?

Jim 99 eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado 2000 Jeep TJ 2000 Ford SD 4X4 Diesel crew cab

The horn should sound when you press the door lock on key fob remote just once.
    \

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

What Jim said... press lock button once and the horn beeps, doors lock.

Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

Hey, N*Caddy- marvelous electrical work, as usual! What make/model # of LEDs did you use? 1st Gen ones did not have the onmidirectional coverage that the ones you displayed, as I found out in a Q45 (a few years back). I'm looking to LED the entire interior, especially the dash panel (even the panel pushbutton switches, if doable).

Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Hey, N*Caddy- marvelous electrical work, as usual! What make/model # of LEDs did you use? 1st Gen ones did not have the onmidirectional coverage that the ones you displayed, as I found out in a Q45 (a few years back). I'm looking to LED the entire interior, especially the dash panel (even the panel pushbutton switches, if doable).
    Is very doable but took me 1 year to have the whole interior done. You can read all about it in this thread.

But let's do some math:
    IPC uses 6 light bulbs, I fabricated the LED light bulbs (all 6) using 12 LEDs per light bulb, that's 72 LEDs in total. It is very delicate and time consuming job, the 4.8mm LEDs are round, I filed down the lip on each of the 72 LEDs to make a "flat spot" so the there are no gaps between the LEDs. Then you see they have 4 columns, I had to tape the edges to a 45* angle to eliminate the gaps. In the middle of the LED light bulb assembly there is a resistor to control the current, The 4 LED columns are mounted on a small PCB that slides inside the green socket.
    Then is the IPC, the IPC front PCB uses around 16 LEDs (you can see a picture on my LED thread linked above), just count them. Then whole LED circuit on the HU front plate has to be modified (I posted the schematic in that thread).
    The climate control module uses about 10 LED, same considerations as for the HU.
    The INFO module above the HU requires 3 LEDs,
    The heated seats buttons 1 LED each
    The PRND321 console uses 4 LEDs (2 light bulbs @ 2 LED each)
    The headlamp assembly requires 3? LEDs
    The steering wheel controls 2 LEDs
    The ceiling lamps require 9 LEDs each light bulb ( and you have 4 light bulbs) at a total of 36 LEDs
    Then each power window button has one small light above, that is 4 LEDs in total
    I guess you need approximatively 150 or so LEDs (I am sure there are more I overlooked as I know it was over 200).
    All these have to be soldered with a matching resistor (that has to be calculated for each application), so yeah it takes about 1 year, there is no quick way around it, you have to know how to dismantle to the last screw each item on your dash.

Even the first generation IPC light bulbs were omnidirectinal (the 4.8mm have 120* viewing angle so 3 rows are exactly 120* apart. I just went to 4 rows to lesser the load on each LED, none burned in 2 years but I just want to make sure it will last. One light bulb assembly (12 LEDs) draws less than 33mA @13V, so one LED row is 8 mA (serial so each LED "see" the 8mA), the LEDs are rated at 20mA so at full blast (dimmer at max) they are below half the rating.

What Jim said... press lock button once and the horn beeps, doors lock.
    So I have the confirmation that '98-'02 Eldorado does the beep thing when locking (if option is activated) so looks like I need to replace my PZM with the '98+ Eldorado PZM (since my '97 PZM does not support this function).

Hey N-Caddy did you ever get that board you where fabricating to work for the Parrot blue tooth or have you not had much time on it ?
    Parrot is 90% done, I just need to finish up the harness and install in the car. Not too much time for that unfortunately do to my job.

Amazing work my friend! I can't believe some of the things you do with your car..!!

P.S. If you come down the Eastern Shore, you will drive right through my hometown from Toronto
    I believe we will meet soon as I am planing to drive to Buffalo one of these weekends to get my tires replaced. Maybe you have some tips for me (I am looking Goodyear Eagle GT).

Nice work..........Now, when are you going to circumnavigate the U.S. clockwise, coming down the eastern Shore this time ????
    Sub I just came back from NC (been to Washington too) 1 week ago. I am not sure when I am driving down south again, for now I am planing to do Europe. So far looks like I will use a small Peugeot (if is this summer), but if is next year the plan was to ship the STS to Europe (is over a month each way though...).

As for Specmo, I have only GREAT words. If you need to replace a light into the IPC no need to send it anywhere, you can do it with simple tools (and a soldering station) in ~ 2h.

Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

I should have known that 2nd generation SMD LEDs would not fit your project - that would be just too easy. I'm sorry it took about a year to get that kind of look - one that rivals brand new vehicles. I spent about 6 months on the Q45 dash project of mine, and had to surface mount 3 of the LEDs, and STILL I did not get the results you did. I used a junkyard instrument panel as a lab, to get the right height, angle, etc. I guess I'll have to do the same here.

Congrats - it's inspiring work!

eldorado_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, W/Nav

You do awesome work N*Caddy glad you share your hard work for us to all drool over!

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    I believe we will meet soon as I am planing to drive to Buffalo one of these weekends to get my tires replaced. Maybe you have some tips for me (I am looking Goodyear Eagle GT).
    Keep me posted

Just to detour this a...
    Well me and Skiller met, I got brand new Goodyear Eagle GT tires with significant savings, the ride back to Canada was FAR smoother then going to US. Strange enough, the new tires pretty much fixed ALL issues I believed I had: the brake vibration, no it was tires not rotors (well actually it was 80% tires and only 20% rotors), the misfire I taught I have, guess again it was still tires. I got the car up to ~115MPH and other than an ever so slightly shake at ~85MPH (still not sure if it was road surface or tire) is so smoooooooooth.
    Here are our cars lined up in front of the tire shop:

Back to the mirror thing, I have a live witness now.
    P.S. Sub, we missed the picture opportunity last year but I got it with Skiller's car eventually!

I'll attest to it! As I always say...Tires are the only thing between the car and the road!

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int

Nice to hear you didn't get robbed on tires!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.