Torque Converter Clutch solenoid removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch solenoid removal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I did a search and see that some guys have replaced the TCC solenoid without removal of the tranny. It ...
    Pete315 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Torque Converter Clutch solenoid removal

I did a search and see that some guys have replaced the TCC solenoid without removal of the tranny. It seems everyone did this on a Deville. Has anyone performed this fix on an Eldorado? Does the Deville have more room between the tranny side cover and the drivers inside wheel well? I have a 95 Eldo and I'm getting the P039 code which sets off the CEL. I did the test with my ohm meter as per the manual and it's pointing to a bad solenoid. If the test pointed to a bad torque converter, I would just leave it alone because I'm not splitting the engine and tranny again! I wish I installed a new converter when I had engine out and had Jake install the studs ( car still runs perfect, thanks Jake).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AoD
    AoD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS

Re: Torque Converter Clutch solenoid removal

I've read posts from people who have done it in-car in sevilles, haven't done it myself. But look around, seems those who have done the seville job let the driver side of the cradle sag down a little bit and that's about as hard as it got for them.

I, too, will eventually undergo this job, as I've got the p0741 p1860 combo. Everything still runs beautifully, but I like to be prepared for anything.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The Seville, Eldo or Deville should be the same. The trick is to remove the cradle bolts one at a time and replace them with the same size threaded rod about 12" to 18" long. Then run a nut and washer up to hold the cradle in place. When all are done, start backing off on the nuts to lower the cradle, lowering the drivers side more than the right side until you have the clearance you need. Basically what you are doing is hanging the drivetrain on the threaded rods.

Pete315 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

I really don't want to drop the subframe because disconnecting the fuel lines is a real pain in the butt. I don't really know how much I would have to remove to drop the subframe enough to remove side cover. It looks like it has to drop quite a bit. I don't want to disconnect the A/C lines. I'm hoping to swap out solenoid without moving subframe at all.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I do recall someone doing it once without out dropping or lowering anything. It was more like as fishing trip, but he got it done. There might be a tutorial in the Tech Tips section.

SliceOfLife is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, all black--250,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I do recall someone doing it once without out dropping or lowering anything. It was more like as fishing trip, but he got it done. There might be a tutorial in the Tech Tips section.
    What you're talking about is here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...741-p1860.html

Judging by his name, he did it to a 2001 SLS. And judging from the link url, it made into tech tips. I think it does require removing a motor or trans mount (and bracket?). I would like to have tried it, but I no longer have a place to do it--not even a driveway.

speelerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DHS

Hello all,
    I got the p0741 p1860 combo on my 2002 Deville with 175K miles. Thanks to all the great advice from everyone, I decided to try to fix it my self. In about 3 hours I had the TCC solenoid removed. The hardest part was finding and removing the locking pin. Even harder than that was getting the pin installed again. But after about 1 hour it finally was installed correctly. By the way, the old solenoid was broken at the electrical connector so I was happy to see that.
    Now for the very bad news. At some point while I was trying to install the pin, I heard something drop in the side cover and some more tranny fluid started pouring out. I realized right away that the main filter had come loose and fell down in the side cover. I can move it with my fingers but I can't push it back up to install it. I can't believe that this filter is not secured with a bolt or pin. I stopped at this point to think everything over.
    So do I just put everything back together and hope for the best? The last time I changed the fluid and bottom screen filters was at 100K and everything looked good. I refilled with Dex VI. My plan was to drop the bottom pan and change the fluid/screens after I replaced the TCC solenoid so I will see how dirty the bottom is. Back to my big problem. Is it possible that the bottom filters and magnets catch most of the debris and that the side filter is just a backup/good luck filter. I can't believe that the side filter can clog up much if it is not serviceable.
    Well, I am just reaching for anything that I can. I can't afford to pay someone the drop the tranny now, which is why I did my own solenoid R&R in the first place. I am so disappointed how this has turned out. I will finish putting everything back together tomorrow. Up until now, the tranny has been flawless with beautiful shifts. So now I don't know how long the tranny will last with out the side filter installed. I don't think lowering the sub-frame myself is really an option. Any comments or ideas would really be appreciated.
    Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.