2000 STS suspension replasement.... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2000 STS suspension replasement.... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The chances of 2 position sensors failing at the same time is about 0.0%. Its either a wiring issue (hopefully ...
    Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Re: 2000 STS suspension replasement....

The chances of 2 position sensors failing at the same time is about 0.0%. Its either a wiring issue (hopefully not an issue with the ELC controller) or both of the linkage rods are missing or disconnected and the operating arm is in the full up, or full down position, beyond the normal operating range of the arm. I had the same code show up in my 97 on one of my sensors when the rod came off and the arm got stuck in the full up position.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Mark C and JimD

....is there more diagnosis to do here?
    Absolutely. Much more.

If the original poster knows what to look for with the connecting rods, he can do that without even getting under the car. Crank the steering wheel full left and the RF suspension position sensor will be visible at the rear of the RF wheel. Likewise, crank the steering wheel full right to get a look at the LF suspension position sensor.

Examining the wiring will be a little more labor intensive.

Dapp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

So I have checked the sensors and the rods are missing on both. Now when I bought this car a year ago they were missing. The car sat for about 3 years. only being run about 3-4 time a year in that period. But both rods are gone. Not sure how. Can I just replace the rods or do I need the whole thing?? I figured the rods aren't replaceable.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

GM only sells the complete sensor including the rod. Catch someone who is parting out a '98 to '04 model and buy both rods.

In the meantime, you can kill the codes and associated messages by tying the sensor arms in the horizontal position.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

we could see the problem discussion moving along here. of course the thread title was very bad. "replace suspension? expensive. after a bit of discussion it turns out both sensor rods are missing. now thats odd. you would think stabilitrak would not like that?

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Autozone sells fittings called carborator throttle ball joints that you can get to fit on the ball studs on the control arm and the sensor and then you can cut a peice of 1/4" threaded rod to fit between the parts. They come in various sizes 3/16", 1/4", 5/16, 3/8" and are used for connecting carbs to a throttle cable. They are kind of pricey at 9 bucks a peice, but if the only other way to get them is to buy a sensor its way cheaper. Dorman also sells them so you may be able to get some at NAPA, or some other auto parts store as well. Just need to know the ball diameter on the sensor, and control arm. Mr gasket sells a kit with 2 ball joints in it for something like 18 bucks, but I don't know what size it is. Kit number is 3811G

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Front position sensor links are available separately from the sensors (although new sensors will come with links)

LH #22196703
    RH #22196704

List Price: $38.18 (each)
    Forum Price: $24 (each)

Well... now that i've got your hopes up....

The LH side link is on backorder with no eta for more stock (probably going to eventually become discontinued)
    The RH side link is still available (I see that there's ten available in my local warehouse).

So, check w/ the salvage yards and see if they'll sell them (and how much for)

(edit: or use Mark C's suggestion)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Dapp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Ok I'll check with the salvage yards. @ Stoveguyy...The title is what it is because I initially wanted to see what I could do as far as aftermarket replacement. But as you should know these threads can easily go in another direction.

twooldfarmers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98' Seville STS

reading through this last post by Jim D makes me wonder about a problem my neigbor is having with his 2002 SLS. The rear ride height is way to high, it looks rediculous it is that hight, yet it seems to be sending some sort of signal to he compressor because it does cycle the compressor in and out from time to time and seems to make very short 'exhaust' attempts from time to time as well. Is the single suspension position sensor something that can be calibrated by removing the attachment link and then doing something with the arm of the 'position sensor' itself?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Sounds like the sensor might be malfunctioning

i don't think that there's a calibration ... it's a fairly simple system

one thing to make sure of would be that the compressor is exhausting correctly
    (it should throw a code if it isn't)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Scoot 24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4, 2001 Eldorado ETC

I have a 2001 Eldorado ETC that I just replaced the suspension with aftermarket coils and shocks. All went well and the ride is slightly stiffer but that is what I wanted. I'm going to do the front next. The only thing that I haven't done is remove the fuse for the compressor. Can anyone tell me where it is located on this model?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.