Code Help P0440
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Code Help P0440 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; P0440 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System what does that mean? if anybody can help me....
    jj69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99' SLS Seville

Code Help P0440

P0440 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System
    what does that mean? if anybody can help me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Code Help P0440

It means you have a leak in the EVAP system. First be sure that the gas cap is on tight.

hmm ok i cleared the codes and did that, ill see if it pops up again

No, the same code came up again.

SliceOfLife is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, all black--250,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by jj69 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me after buying a new gas cap. It turned out the new gas cap was defective. There's a little (about 1/8" diameter) diaphram you can see in the middle of the cap facing the gas. If it doesn't flex under pressure from a stiff probe, it's defective. Since I only bought the new cap for the tether, I pryed the tether off and put it on my old gas cap. It' still good after about six months.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jj69 View Post
    OK..........Remove the engine beauty cover. Down near the rear run of the fuel rail is a black solenoid with electrical connector and vacuum lines. That is the purge solenoid which connects to the throttlebody and EVAP canister tucked into the frame rail sort of under the driver's side rear door. This system purges trapped fuel vapor from the tank during hot highway cruise conditions. It also is part of the fuel tank pressure/vacuum sensing system.

There should be a vacuum diagram sticker on the hood, just by the hinge on your side.

ANY leak in this system will set EVAP codes.

NOTE: The 2000+ Northstars move the EVAP solenoid to the rear side of the throttlebody.

Oh thanks nice hints, i'll check both of those things out

JP31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville

I'm having the exact same problem. I replaced the purge solenoid but the code is still up. I haven't cleared the codes, but it is showing up as a current code. I am looking at the vacuum lines attached to the solenoid and I think one might be disconnected. There is a T shaped vacuum line boot that has no vacuum lines plugged into one side of the T. I checked another Deville and that one had the same boot but with something plugged into all side of it. I have check around and can't seem to find any lines that look like they should be running there. Any help? jj69, any resolution?

Thanks,
    JP

no jp31, mine still running with the same code haven't had the dinero to fix it lol. but try clearing the codes again and wait and see if it pops up

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

Good luck, as I've been chasing this code for about 3 years. Gas cap replacement worked at first for a few months. Then the code popped up again, along with a code that had me swap out the vent solenoid at the canister. That didn't do it. Sat on it for awhile. Car began to hard start after fill up, which lead me to replace the purge solenoid. Solved the hard start issue, but not P0440. Took a shot in the dark and replaced the $30 fuel tank pressure sensor. No luck. Lines all are good and tight. I'm down to thinking it may be the o-ring seal for the pump on the top of the gas tank. But I gave up trying. I just clear the code at each fill up, and live with the SES light when the tank goes empty.

FYI if you need to pass OBD2 emissions, clear the codes, and keep the tank topped off for about 10-14 days prior to going in for the test, and you will be ok. The EVAP leak test doesn't run if the tank is over 85% full (or under 15% but I don't advise that!).

SliceOfLife is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, all black--250,000 miles

Don't give up on the gas cap yet. My code showed up a couple months after getting a new gas cap. There wasn't anything wrong with old one; I bought it for the tether. In my case, the little metal diaphram in the gas cap had failed. I went back to using the old cap, but with the new tether. Code hasn't returned in 8 months--or a year and 8 months...I don't remember...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.