99 Seville.. cooling fan not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 99 Seville.. cooling fan not working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hi. i am a korean(south) sorry for my poor english my car is 1999 cadillac seville sls vin:1g6ks54y7xu939961 i have ...
    pplpp99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 seville sts

99 Seville.. cooling fan not working

hi. i am a korean(south)
    sorry for my poor english

my car is 1999 cadillac seville sls
    vin:1g6ks54y7xu939961

i have some troubles that cooling fan(both) is not working
    i have no scan-tool

replaced parts :
    1. thermostat
    2. water pump
    3. coolant
    4. engine temperature sensor(ETC sensor)-located below EGR valve

maybe :
    1. coolant circulation is good
    2. when engine is hot, upper/lower hose are very hot
    3. relay is good (total 3ea)

symptom
    1. both cooling fan are not working at all
    2 temp-gage(in cluster) is running up to only middle position ( "C" ~ "H")
    temp-gage is not running over middle position when engine is very hot
    3. when ETC sensor is unplugged, both fan is working highly(very well)
    4. dtc code is displaed only b1317 p0118 p1654

cooling fan(2ea) are never working at all time
    but.
    fan are very good when ETC sensor is unplugged

what is problem?
    maybe PCM fault?

help me.. please..

thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Re: 99 seville.. cooling fan not working

symptom
    1. both cooling fan are not working at all
    2 temp-gage(in cluster) is running up to only middle position ( "C" ~ "H")
    temp-gage is not running over middle position when engine is very hot
    3. when ETC sensor is unplugged, both fan is working highly(very well)
    4. dtc code is displaed only
    b1317 In Car Air Temperature Sensor
    p0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage
    p1654 Cruise Control Inhibit Output Circuit

I believe the P0118 is from when you unplugged the ECT sensor. That will go away.

The engine fans run with the ECT unplugged, that is the correct operation because the PCM will default to an overheating position. And at least we know they will work on high speed.

Are you saying the fans never run with the a/c selected? If you don't have the a/c on, and your temperature gauge stays at 12 o'clock, the PCM will not run the fans at all. With the a/c off the fans will usually only come on if you're sitting in traffic jams or idling for extended periods.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Fans run in SLOW at 224 degrees F, FAST at 236 degrees F if there is no air conditioning or DEFROST function set. In the city or heavy traffic the gauge will go to the first tick mark past 12:00 and the fans come on. As the coolant lowers to 213 degrees F the fans turn off and the cycle repeats.

IF you set an air conditioning function, then fans run in SLOW all the time.

If your fans will not run under any conditions, check the large fuses in the underhood fuse/relay box, as well as the small fuses for the fan relays - there are 3 relays: Fan 1, Fan 2, and S/P (series/parallel): the fans are relay set to series operation (voltage drop) for Slow speed, parallel operation (full voltage) for Fast.

HandyHarbor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville Sts and 2000 Deville Base

Alright I have the same exact problem with my 2000 seville sts! I started having some overheating issues last week. It started as overheating in traffic or coming to a stop. It then started overheating all the time and i started losing coolant through my radiator cap. I did replace the thermostat and it was bad and replaced the radiator cap as well. I then realized that I had not heard my fan turn on at anytime during the last 2 weeks. I let the car run and and the fans would not turn on no matter what i tryed. I also own a deville and the fans do work with my relays out of my seville so it is not any of the three relays. I also then put in a new temp senson thinking it would help my fan turn on. Keep in mind my temp gauge in my car did work with my old temp sensor. I had the same results with the new temp sensor temp gauge works but the fans do not. So I pulled the temp sensor wire off and sure enough the fans both turned on. I am confident that the new thermostat and the radiator cap fixed the overheating issue and the fan is now working with the temp gauge not connected. I feel more comfortable with the fan working insted of having my temp gauge at this point but I will need to come up with a solution soon considering it is going to be getting warmer in the next few weeks. I'm thinking its a problem with the PCM. Somehow the computer is not using the info that it is recieving from the temp sensor. Anybody know a fix for this besides replacing the PCM i really dont think there is another option at this point. I would like to avoid running a switch to my fans but it would probably be alot cheaper. Thanks for any advice anybody has. Im glad im not alone on this one!

Also what would be the normal operating temp??

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

How hot did it get? Does it no longer overheat with the fans running?

Normal operating temperature is 205-215. About 12:00 on the gauge.

Post #3 ????????????????????????????????????????

DON'T go rigging a fan switch - if your fans are operating correctly, it's not necessary and is actually detrimental to engine temp control.

Here's your fan circuit - do some fuse, wiring and relay checking. "Normal temp" is about 12:00 on the gauge; it may go to the first tick past 12 in traffic with no A/C function set.

Read Post 3.

I had been driving the car the last few days with no overheating after replacing thermostat and radiator cap without the fans working.It is colder in minnesota right now so im sure that is why i had no more overheating issues without the fans. today i pulled the temp sensor and now the fans work.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Hi- it's great to see another Korean member on the forum. I think I saw you in Club Cadillac in Korea. I think I answered your question over there.

What made you to think that engine is overheating but the temp gauge stays in the middle? It may be in operating temperature.

yes all relays are working and also checked the ground. all wiring going to the ground all wiring going to the temp sense but im assuming the temp sense wiring is not a prob considering i have a temp gauge when it is plugged in. sub I agree with you i dont want to run a switch for a fan. Just trying to figure this out. its a stupid problem. Right now the car is running good! Not overheating.Not losing coolant. Im having no problems at all except for I no longer have a temp gauge in my car due to pulling the plug on the temp sense to get the fans to come on. Any ideas on how to get the fan and the temp gauge working would be good! Thanks in advance! And yes only 3 posts new yesterday to the forum. Technology is starting to catch up with me.

99 Seville - have you checked the large fan fuse(s) under and behind the main fuse/relay box ?? (I think this holds for 99 - 2000+ moved the maxi-fuses to the underhood box on the passenger side.)

Also, are your relays on a mount down near the fans ? Some have had trouble with the wiring/sockets there. 2000 or later moved the relays up to the fuse box itself. There are 3 - Fan 1, Fan 2, and a series/parallel (S/P) relay for slow and fast speeds.

yes i checked all three there is a black relay that one is the switch and the other two are grey those are good as well.

Oh yeah I will not rig a fan switch! I know its a bad idea and i also know that i will forget to turn it on or off! You think i should just try a new pcm? It seems as if it is not computing the info it is recieving from my temp sensor. I do not know where the pcm is on that thing but is it possible the wire running from the temp sensor could be bad? Where is the pcm located? I know that the bcm is on the floor on the passenger side but i dont know where the pcm is. Please any info would be appreciated!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Hard to say if the PCM is bad. They are usually pretty reliable. It's located under the air filter housing. Intake air is drawn over it to cool it.

well ill check the wires tomorrow. I have had 2 bad grounds in that car already so who knows. im really thinking its a comp issue any ideas why i would also be getting a low oil pressure light on my deville it pops on once and awhile then goes away. I never have low oil and i change my oil every 2500-3000 miles! but that maybe thats another issue with the comp im thinking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.