what could this be a sign of? *weird start up*
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, what could this be a sign of? *weird start up* in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i need some help, when ever i start my Cadillac, it has either 2 types of start ups.... at one, ...
    Crazyfurie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 cadillac seville

what could this be a sign of? *weird start up*

i need some help, when ever i start my Cadillac, it has either 2 types of start ups.... at one, ill turn the key and it'll nearly instantly start up with 0 problems. and the second type is where ill turn the key, and it'll take like 2 seconds to start up, and when the engine finally starts going, it sounds as if its gonna shut off then it goes back to regular, this is while the key is still turned in the ignition.

it happens once in a blue moon, any ideas what this could be ? bad spark plugs perhaps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: what could this be a sign off? *weird start up*

Are those good startups mostly with the engine cold and the bad startups are mostly with the engine warm?
    If so (but not only) go straight to the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator), disconnect that small vacuum line and watch if there is any moisture (i.e. gas) on the nipple. If so then you need a new FPR.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator for proper operation. On a 99 Seville, pull the vacuum line off of the FPR while engine running. It should have no raw fuel around the nipple and/or vacuum hose.

Sorry for that maeng9981 I was just providing a service to the community

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Sorry for that maeng9981 I was just providing a service to the community
    Oh no it's ok that is why I like this Cadillac forum; full of people with experiences and they are willing to help others.

i have no idea where the FPR is, ill have to investigate it, or bring it to my mechanic to have him check it out. any idea how much this would cost me to replace if need be?

Btw thank you both of you for the help

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Remove the engine beauty cover. The Fuel Pressure Regulator is hairpinned into a socket on the rear fuel rail run. It has a vacuum line attached. You remove the vacuum line to see if there's any raw gas in the regulator or line - if so, the diaphragm in the regulator is ruptured and the engine is getting a much richer fuel mixture.

To replace it, you bleed off the fuel pressure using the Schrader valve (tire valve) under the black cap on the rear fuel rail. UN pin the regulator and pull it out - make sure the small lower O-ring comes out with the regulator. Oil the O-rings on the new unit, push it in and pin it. Connect the vacuum line. Turn the key:ON for 5 seconds, OFF for 10. Do it again. This primes the fuel system.

This picture may not be your exact FPR, but close............talk to Chris in RippyParts (Vendors ^^^) tomorrow morning.

Just remove the 4 black bolts holding the engine cover (the big silver plastic thing on top of the engine with "Northstar 32 Valve V8" written on it).
    Underneath you will see this:

I put a red circle around the FPR and a yellow circle around the fuel pressure release valve.

It only takes 5 minutes and ANYBODY can do it:
    1. Once the engine cover is removed disconnect the small vacuum line (just pull it out) from the FPR and look for signs of gas on the nipple. Should be BONE DRY. Any trace of gas is a tell-tale sign of a faulty FPR.
    2. If you do find the FPR faulty then go to rockauto.com and select your year/make/model and browse to "fuel and air" find the FPR listed in there. Get the AcDelco one no other.
    3. When you have the new FPR locate the fuel pressure release valve (see it circled with yellow) and unscrew the cap. It works just like a tire valve, press on the tip and the pressure is released. Be advised the fuel pressure is ~40PSI so have a rag to shield yourself and the engine until the pressure is dumped into the rad (about 2-3 seconds).
    4. Now you are ready to remove the old FPR. Remove that clip and pull it out. Make sure all the rubber "O" rings are placed OK and then insert and lock the new FPR in place (a dab of oil on the "O" rings helps). Connect back the vacuum line and put the engine cover back.
    Repair done.

P.S.
    1) Any time you are opening the fuel line make sure the ignition is OFF.
    2) Since yours is a 99, the fuel line is nylon, minor detail, all is the same.

wow thank you!! prime tutorial

im def going to try this on a nice day *i live in upstate ny so its been raining and snowing here the past weeks * so ill wait till a nice day to do all this,

Thank you guys awesome help

97northstardeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

In the upper left hand corner of photo, there is a vacuum line that runs to center far right photo. On the upper end of that line there is a PCV valve that must be cleaned with carb cleaner. If dirty that PCV will make enginerun rough and die.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Thread is 2 yrs old bruh

97northstardeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Thread is 2 yrs old bruh
    Yes, these achieved records are here to help anyone beyond those dates searching for solutions, isn't that the idea?

JHowdy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Past: 1994 DeVille Concours / Present: 1997 Seville STS

Hi, here are two pics of my 1997 STS. I've been having difficulties starting the engine - once in a blue moon just as the other fellow said in the opening post - when the engine is warm and the car has been parked for half an hour or so. My STS seems to have nylon fuel lines (thick black lines), am I right?

I have marked the location of the FPR with a yellow circle. I checked the vacuum line: no visible moisture in the metallic nipple or in the rubber hose end. Bone dry. But when I wiped the end of the nipple with my finger and then sniffed it (the finger) there was a distinct odour of gasoline. So it seems to leak a little and should be replaced, right? Any comments are welcome.
    Attached Images

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    And the thread is back from the dead again.

Yes, any sign of fuel at the nipple, including smell, indicates a leaking FPR.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Start the engine with the vacuum line disconnected. When the fuel rail is pressurized and the engine is running it will leak faster.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.