1998 STS- Shock replacement help bypass
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1998 STS- Shock replacement help bypass in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Got tired of dealing with the air shocks and just replaced them with manual adjustable shocks. Anybody have a how ...
    samuelsteven is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1998 STS- Shock replacement help bypass

Got tired of dealing with the air shocks and just replaced them with manual adjustable shocks. Anybody have a how to on the message bypass? I know it uses a resistor wired into the old shock plug. Cant find the how to anywhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: 1998 cadillac sts Shock replacement help bypass

Quote Originally Posted by samuelsteven View Post
    Got tired of dealing with the air shocks and just replaced them with manual adjustable shocks. Anybody have a how to on the message bypass? I know it uses a resistor wired into the old shock plug. Cant find the how to anywhere.
    All you need to do is install a resistor in the chassis harness connector where the shock harness used-to-be installed. If you cut the shock wire harness instead of removing it at the connector, now is the time to properly remove the old shock wire harness.

A 4.7K Ohm (Radio Shack item #217-1124) resistor is one of the values that will prevent the code that is causing a SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM message on your year/model.

thats what I did, I soldered them into the old harness and shrinkwrapped them and plugged them back in, The message is still there. I was thinking the one I followed may have been for an older model seville. I remember reading it on another forum, but I cant find it anymore, actually I think it was by you..Jim

Which chassis codes ("C" prefix) are showing up?

Here is a reminder how to display codes:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-sevilles.html

Sorry, Ive been out of town...
    The codes ate C1722 and C1762

Quote Originally Posted by samuelsteven View Post
    Sorry, Ive been out of town...
    The codes ate C1722 and C1762
    C1722 - Left Rear Damper Actuator Open Circuit
    If you put a resistor in the LR shock circuit, something has damaged the installation.

C1762 - Left Rear Position Sensor Input Fault
    Is the connecting rod from the lower control arm to the suspension position sensor in place correctly?? Or damaged ??

rohde is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville SLS

I too replaced my shocks with some loadleveler type from Monroe, and cut the electrical connector from the original shocks. My compressor was shot, so I opted to go passive. I also revoved the linkage to the a-frames. I would like to permantly remove the Suspension and Speed message. Can you help me?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Your message is being triggered because there is a problem with your active suspension system (CVRSS), it has nothing to do with the rear leveling system (ELC). You've done two things two cause the message:

Replaced the active (variable damping) shocks with passive (fixed damping) ones

Disconnected the suspension height sensors.

There may be other problems as well. The first step is to pull your trouble codes. Go to the top of the Eldorado/Seville page, and read the "sticky" thread on how to do so. List any codes you find, AND THEIR DEFINITIONS, (there's a link within the sticky with definitions).

In the future, feel free to start your own thread.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: 1998 STS- Shock replacement help bypass

I know this is old but I have some info to add.

I had c1721 and c1722 come up and the resistor trick did not work to fix it.

The red/black wire on my 99 SLS is supposed to be ground but did not pass the DMM test. I had no continuity between the plug at the shock connection and the CVRSS module. Replaced the entire wire and it fixed the problem. I'll report back if the code reappears.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.