power antenna removal tool?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, power antenna removal tool? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a '92 ElDorado, and the power antenna just goes "whirrrrrrrrrr" and doesn't do anything. So I'm trying ...
    runjim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy power antenna removal tool?

I just bought a '92 ElDorado, and the power antenna just goes "whirrrrrrrrrr" and doesn't do anything. So I'm trying to take it out and replace it. But I can't figure out how to dislodge the mast.

I've removed the bolts down below, but how do you remove the seal at the spot where the mast pokes thru the body? There is a soft grayish 16 pointed star-looking thing at the root of the mast, do I twist that?

Is there a special antenna tool? My tools just seem to tear it up, not good.

Thanks for any help, Great Forum!

Jim
    '92 ElDorado

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    heh, I had to replace the mast on my '93 DeVille, I got one off a '93 Eldo (freebie 4channel factory stereo amp too)

Anyway, on my DeVille the thing at the top would just unscrew, then the antenna would come off and the rubber garment thingy was seperate..... the '93 Eldorado piece didn't have a screw thingy, instead just a very tight rubber thing, we had to use some water to lubricate it and then it slid in.....

......from what you described, the setup on your car seems to be like the orignal one on mine, in that case, yes, that thing witht he notches in it unscrews, IIRC mine came off by hand, but maybe use plyers or something.....

....oh, and PS, you would be very surprised if you knew how differnt the stupid power antenna for a '93 DeVille and a '93 Eldo are, it took a hell of a time to finally get it to work....... oh well, all said and done it works great now, so I am glad, plus I got a factory 4 channel amp that I have no idea on any specs or anything to try and hook up, nothing big and fancy, but atleast I got my $50 worth.

Thumbs up Re: power antenna removal tool?

Thanks!
    I guess I'll just get rough with it, I wanted to make sure because maybe I should've been unscrewing it from underneath instead.

I'll just replace it anyway, with the junkyard part or a new universal part from Ebay.

Thanks again.

Talking Re: power antenna replaced!

(I'll leave this info here, just in case someone else tries this same thing...)

I successfully replaced the antenna tonight. I bought a "universal" power antenna from Advance Auto Parts - $45.

The wiring was tricky. Luckily, the old coax cable-end plugged right into the end of the 4 ft cable that came attached to the antenna.

The ground connection also worked just as before.

On the old antenna, we had 3 wires: yellow, red, and black. The "universal" antenna only wanted 2 wires: red, and blue.

My first try was red (old) to red (new), and yellow (old) to blue (new), leaving the black (old) unused. It would only go up and down when I pulled the antenna fuse out/in.

My actual fix was red (old) to blue (new), and yellow (old) to red (new).

Luckily, I didn't fry or melt anything!!!

Works great now, except it runs for an extra 4 or 5 seconds after the total antenna travel time,either direction. Maybe that's normal?

I just wanted to get the dang antenna down so that I could run her thru a dang carwash!

Thanks for your help,
    Jim
    '92 ElDorado

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: power antenna replaced!

If its not a big deal to you, get the mast out as far as you can and cut the belt..... from there you can leave it fully extended..... i did this on mine, and reception was as good as ever!!!

Make sure you unplug the motor so it doesnt run......

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I would recomend going OEM with the power antenna...the after market units seems to be cheaper.....

....if you just disconnect it so it is always up, just go to the auto store and for $10 or so, get a normal antenna, not only does it look better, but works better then a power antenna up all the time.

CadDaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lightbulb

Well, I just went through the change on my '96 SLS and it was just taking out the bolt on the bracket inside the trunk and the ground strap, then twist and wiggle the mast down and out leaving the star nut in place. The ruber grommet stays in the body. The motor whirring was because the plastic fishing line connecting the mast to the motor broke.

I picked up an ac delco Caddy antenna new for $85 complete with relay. There is a Caddy dealer advertising parts online for 20% over cost. Shipping and tax made it 100. Had to bend a new strap to fit (included with the antenna).

This is too late for you but perhaps others scratching thier head might appreciate the info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.