Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering problem. Ideas?

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  ThumperPup 
#1 ·
I'm suspecting its time for a new pump but just needed some confirmation.

In tight parking maneuvers its easy and light but sometimes a little noisy. It used to be unusually heavy in parking situations but stopped doing that after I had the system flushed with a BG machine.

It has a very slow leak somewhere. I've been topping off when it gets noisy. The leak has slowed since adding a bit of Lucas.

At 45mph+ the steering feels "crunchy" and unusually heavy. My theory is that the system is dialing back the assist at cruising speeds as it should, but the failing pump isn't keeping up. Does that make sense?

Currently has 121k, probably never had the PS fluid changed by the last owner, so the flush I had done in November was probably the first time in a decade.

Does it sound like the pump?

#6 ·
did i miss something you said motor removed did you have a Head gasket failure question i must have missed something here
or are you talking about something els

yeah it was total cost of labor and parts i think the rack was like 375 for part and the pump was like another 400 i think
the most was the labor just about cause they had to take the entire front end apart to get that rack and pinion out atleast thats what i think
if your motor you talking abou tthe engine northstar motor ?

if thats out not sure how much difrance that will make cuas ethey still hav eto take the front end apart to get the rack out i think

#8 ·
Jesda you said something abou tthe Motor being removed so i asked what motor are you talking about the engine ? and then i was like didnt know you had something going on with that why would it be removed

but yeah that price was with labor
i think was a 6 hour job i think

#14 ·
i would like to know if the latter sevilles have the filter also
im planning on having all the filters that can be serviced taken car of in the next month
already had the tranny filter one
so i think my next oil change ill do the fuel filter cabin filter air filter ofcours the oil filter lol and if there is a PS filter thatg also

#19 ·
hey was just checkign out ebay yesterday for some stuff

saw a PS pump remaned for i think 70 or 80 bucks
and saw a rack for 139 i think remaned or new i forget

just thout id let you know man

cause if those are the issues you would be looking at more anyere els

#21 ·
Today I decided to bleed air out of the system. I did some searching and if I understand correctly, this is how you bleed it:

1. Idle vehicle
2. Open PS fluid reservoir cap
3. Turn wheel lock to lock left to right
4. When fluid level drops, the air bubble has made its way out. Add fluid.

The "crunch" and heaviness on the highway has been dramatically reduced, but because it was so cold I only did a couple minutes of bleeding and topping off.

Should I be holding the steering at full lock for 10-20 seconds or should I be continuously turning all the way left and all the way right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.