Cadillac Owners Forum banner

RSS Module Replacement 2001 STS

7K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  N*Caddy 
#1 ·
I was having the speed limited to 90 code the other day. Ended up taking it to Cadillac. They checked it out and said it was the RSS Module. They say it takes 3.5 hrs to change and pcm and some other module needs to be programmed. This part retails for over a $1000.00 I am getting it for $850.00. Just wanted to know if this sounds right. And the vibration I have been having between 50-60mph is because the guy that changed my Transmission didn't put all the bolts back in or tighten them all so you can move the trans with your hand.

#2 ·
And the vibration I have been having between 50-60mph is because the guy that changed my Transmission didn't put all the bolts back in or tighten them all so you can move the trans with your hand.
:shocked2:.......:holycrap:.......Holy stupidity, Batman !!!

The Electronic Suspension Control module for your car is located on the rear electronics bay - that large panel, accessed from the trunk, which runs across the entire rear seat bulkhead. The list price for the module was about $860 and 0.6 hours of labor in the 2002 book. There is also a post-install Tech-II calibration procedure called for......another 15 minutes ???

#3 ·
So basically they are screwing me saying it is 3.5 hrs to install and program. They may be calculating all the time spent to diagnose it? I think more like getting screwed. Could explain why the metal in trans pan though. Is the ESC module the same as the RSS Module? They are about the same price. Just want to have my case together before I call out the service advisor and ask why so much to install when book time is much less.

#4 ·
Depending on vehicle year and model, the RSS (Road Sensing Suspension) and the CVRSS (Constantly Variable Road Sensing Suspension) are controlled by the Electronic Suspension Control module based on inputs from accelerometers, height sensors, ABS sensors and PCM engine and transmission operation. I would venture that a 2001 STS uses CVRSS/F45/FE3. ...............the connector is a 32 pin unit and all 32 are used..........lots of data flow.

I can only look in my personal manuals and online data as far as older parts pricing and labor times - you should back up that input with research of your own. No one in here is infallible - stack your own deck.........:lildevil:

You could tickle Chris - RippyPartsDept - and see if he has any pricing input.

EDIT at 13:30 - Metal or chunks of anything in the transmission pan has nothing to do with CVRSS..............

#8 ·
I meant that the metal chunks were from or related to either the drive axle shredding a few months ago and dropping some in it or that the trans being so loose that the clutch plate and gears moving had something to do with it. they said trans is fine but with another 100 miles or so would have probably been toast. What are your thoughts on this? As far as the 3.5hrs labor they are charging me. They spent about 5hrs diagnosing it and are going to tighten the trans down and program my #2 key fob and replace and program the new modules for the 3.5hrs labor cost.

#11 ·
There's a chance that I could get you one on Monday or Tuesday ... there's a dealer in Augusta that has one so if you're willing to pay full price you could just get it from them, but i might be able to buy it from them on the and then have them mail it to you and still get you a good discount...

#12 ·
Sounds complicated and last minute for this time anyways. I ordered it From Classic Cadillac here in Atlanta where my car is and got it for $850. Maybe a little more but I got it overnighted from Lansing, which they said was the only place that had it?? So hopefully Monday it will be there. I would definitely be interested in doing business with you in the future though. I sent you a message with my info.

#13 ·
#14 ·
yeah, if you've already ordered it from them and overnighted it at that, then there's no point really in getting it through me

but they are correct Lansing is the only warehouse that stocks this part ... that other dealer in Augusta did show it on the dealer locator though it's possible that the part was installed previously or some other weird situation, so it really is best to get a new one from the parts warehouse in Lansing ... plus dealers don't sell to each other at the dealer cost (they mark it up a little bit)

but if my customers really have to have a part i'll search the locator and see what's out there

the overnight charge shouldn't be that much more than $15 (maybe only $10)...

hope they get you all fixed up
and i hope that all makes sense

#19 ·
hmm ah ok guess i was wrong maybe i miss undersstood waht they had said but something that in cleveland that has also been going on and not just clevleand but all over the country in some areas are is when gm has been closing down dealerships taking there licenses away they sualy only do that so they can then open up the dealer in a shell company and own them them selves wich sucks

but maybe i miss understood what they where telling me and all

i just know that the dealrs around here will take money of the bill of diagnostics its there way of making shure they get something

#20 ·
i'm pretty sure you're mistaken about what's happening with the dealers getting closed down... those dealers are going to be gone ... some that were originally going to be closed down ended up getting re-instated due to the arbitration but it wasn't that many.

GM does not own any dealerships (that i know of) and I don't think they ever will.

the diagnostics situation can be a bit tricky and varies from dealer to dealer (really from shop to shop, since it's not just a dealership thing)
we charge for diagnostics and will sometimes waive the charge if you get the work done (or refund it if you come back within a couple weeks)
i think that's what you were saying, right? sometimes though the diagnostic fee isn't refunded though for various reasons
(it's really one of those 'case-by-case' type of situations)

#23 ·
....GM does not own any dealerships (that i know of) and I don't think they ever will.
GM cannot and would not dare to even try owning a dealership. To do so would be in violation of well established Federal legislation.

Anyone interested in the history of the why and how should get comfortable and do a google search on STANDARD OIL OF NEW JERSEY and/or SHERMAN ANTI-TRUST and prepare to read and learn.

Vertical integration has been a no-no for a very long time.

For whatever that has to do with the quality of (independent) dealer diagnosis capabilties.

#22 ·
i know when the dealership told me that when i went in for my collant leak to have them check it and the oil leak
they said anything they find bad if i get fixed they will take the money off the bill
well these dumb shits at crestmont cadillac well they dignosed the bad oil presure switch then they said yup sure we will take the 110 of the price because you paid us to diagnos a engine leak and that was the coolant and oil leaks we checked but then they came back and said
so we have a total bill that would be 219 dollars we will take 110 of of that so you will pay 109
i was like wtf
hell know
i went to the Mercedes dealership down the road they ordered the part from that same dealerhsip and then charged me a total of like 119 to repair it
im still going back and fourth with the owner Mr parks over at crestmonth
i threatned to call the AG and he said wait hold on dont do that just yet
well im tired of this crap you know they do things like that

how ever another delarship ones central cadillac they charged me 99 to diagnose a bad batter turned otu to be a cable or soemthing i foget cot them 89 dollars is what the bill came to they took it all from the 99 diagnostic fee so i dint hav eto pay another dime now thats a dealerhsip ill go to for any reason what so ever if i had the money

#24 ·
yes how ever it is possible for the sleeze bags to own shell companys that in return own some dealerships

we all understand the way of a monoply and how it works we all played it im sure as we where kids

and we all know there is away around evyering in this world
and well
i just have a feeling of consparacy
and i feel this is waht happend

other wise how can someone explain how come dealerships opened up back as GM dealership with difrant names with in a month of the time one just closed at the same locations a month erlier makes no sence

#28 ·
It might be a bit late, but there are couple of threads about how an small burned resistor in RSS module (which is replacable) can result in a bad RSS module. Dealerships usually do not like to get into repairing electrical boards, and prefer to replace the module. As an electrical engineer, I can understand the policy and it sounds correct from reliability standpoint. But as a consumer with a limited budget, I would prefer to grab my welder and repair the board instead of spending a crazy amount of $$$$$

#32 ·
It might be a bit late, but there are couple of threads about how an small burned resistor in RSS module (which is replacable) can result in a bad RSS module. Dealerships usually do not like to get into repairing electrical boards, and prefer to replace the module.
No question about the dealer service department philosophy. Throw modules at the problem and bring on the next vehicle.

As an electrical engineer, I can understand the policy and it sounds correct from reliability standpoint. But as a consumer with a limited budget, I would prefer to grab my welder and repair the board instead of spending a crazy amount of $$$$$
Not many appliance operators have the skills required to accurately diagnose a module problem and then replace a service mount component.

#33 ·
It was the ESCM. And it had to have something to do with the wires being pinched in the valve cover, because it sure never had a problem before and when I picked up my car from being repaired it had the speed limited to 90 in the DIC and the codes. It's a done deal now picked up and paid for also sent bill to my old shop where the work was done and they are going to cut me a check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.