1985 Eldorado (Level Ride)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1985 Eldorado (Level Ride) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1985 Eldorado and I noticed that when I looked at my car parked the back end looked ...
    Interstellar0vDr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

1985 Eldorado (Level Ride)

I have a 1985 Eldorado and I noticed that when I looked at my car parked the back end looked a bit higher than usual. I looked in the manuel and figured it may have something to do with the Level ride suspension and maybe I have some kind of air leak in the the pump or something. I'm not sure if the level ride light is staying on longer than usual (the manuel states that can show that there is a problem) But I feel as though it may have been on a few sec.s longer than usual. Maybe someone knows what this problem is or might be, if so could you let me know. Also, is it very bad to be driving the car this way? And how much should I expect something like this to cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1copenhagen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldorado Biarritz

Re: 1985 Eldorado (Level Ride)

if your air ride had a leak the compressor would run more it could be that you ride hight sensor is going bad or need to be adjusted oh and if you don't have one pick up a factory service manual for for your eldo

Interstellar0vDr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is it alright to drive the car this way until I'm able to fix it? Could it get worse by continuing to drive it?

1copenhagen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldorado Biarritz

I would say that if the compressor don't run a lot you should be ok to drive till you get it fixed

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Compressor exhaust valve may not be venting. Pull the DTC's.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

This a very simple system. First raise the hood then get under the rear of the car and locate the rod that attaches to one of the rear suspension lower A frames. This rod has a plastic ball socket that snaps onto a ball on the A frame. Pop it off the A frame and push it straight up with the car keys in the run position, car not running. In about 20 seconds you should hear the under hood pump turn on and the car should start to raise even higher. Then pull this rod down and shortly the pump should exhaust the air in the shocks, lowering the car. If that test works then look at the arm that this rod attaches to, you will see 2 small nuts that when loosened will allow adjustment of this arm either up or down in relation to the height sensor it attaches too. Moving the arm up lowers the at rest height of the car, moving the arm down raises the cars height. Also, alot of these cars had aftermarket air shocks installed with a simple fitting by the rear bumper to manually fill them with air. If yours does simply depress the valve bleeding air from the shocks. They should have a minimum of 20 lbs air in them at all times for proper height and ride. HURT THE CAR TO DRIVE IT??? no but the ride is worse

2008DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS 2002 Deville

Hello
    I have a 1985 Eldorado and the height position sensor switch GM 22040573 on the left lower control arm seems to be bad. I have checked everything else in the threads and all the other components are good. The lines all hold pressure and pump works fine.
    I cannot find the part anywhere! I want to keep the car original.
    Does anyone know where I can find the part or a comparable part from another year that will work? Or anyone else that may have one around that is willing to sell.
    Is there a work around to get it working other than over the counter air shocks with a Schrader valve behind the license plate..

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.