Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1985 Eldorado (Level Ride)

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  2008DTS 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 Eldorado and I noticed that when I looked at my car parked the back end looked a bit higher than usual. I looked in the manuel and figured it may have something to do with the Level ride suspension and maybe I have some kind of air leak in the the pump or something. I'm not sure if the level ride light is staying on longer than usual (the manuel states that can show that there is a problem) But I feel as though it may have been on a few sec.s longer than usual. Maybe someone knows what this problem is or might be, if so could you let me know. Also, is it very bad to be driving the car this way? And how much should I expect something like this to cost?

#6 ·
This a very simple system. First raise the hood then get under the rear of the car and locate the rod that attaches to one of the rear suspension lower A frames. This rod has a plastic ball socket that snaps onto a ball on the A frame. Pop it off the A frame and push it straight up with the car keys in the run position, car not running. In about 20 seconds you should hear the under hood pump turn on and the car should start to raise even higher. Then pull this rod down and shortly the pump should exhaust the air in the shocks, lowering the car. If that test works then look at the arm that this rod attaches to, you will see 2 small nuts that when loosened will allow adjustment of this arm either up or down in relation to the height sensor it attaches too. Moving the arm up lowers the at rest height of the car, moving the arm down raises the cars height. Also, alot of these cars had aftermarket air shocks installed with a simple fitting by the rear bumper to manually fill them with air. If yours does simply depress the valve bleeding air from the shocks. They should have a minimum of 20 lbs air in them at all times for proper height and ride. HURT THE CAR TO DRIVE IT??? no but the ride is worse

#7 ·
Hello
I have a 1985 Eldorado and the height position sensor switch GM 22040573 on the left lower control arm seems to be bad. I have checked everything else in the threads and all the other components are good. The lines all hold pressure and pump works fine.
I cannot find the part anywhere! I want to keep the car original.
Does anyone know where I can find the part or a comparable part from another year that will work? Or anyone else that may have one around that is willing to sell.
Is there a work around to get it working other than over the counter air shocks with a Schrader valve behind the license plate..

Thanks to everyone for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.