Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Rafterd 
#1 ·
How does the navigation option work on a 2003 Seville STS? Does it go through OnStar? Will I need to upgrade it?
I am going to purchase this car and is this navigation going to work?

#3 ·
I own the same car, and my Navigation system works fine.

I really like the radio and cd interace on the touchscreen. It is very intuitive and you'll adapt to the
controls very quickly.

The Nav map takes me to where I need to go, but it isn't as good as a cheap portable Garmin.
I don't like the direction the map moves ... it has your car pointed to the bottom of the map screen as you
drive, which is the opposite of my portable unit.
Keep in mind, the maps are about 8yrs old now, so they aren't as accurate as they could be.

If I'm totally trusting my STS' Nav unit in an unknown are, I often have my Magellan as a backup, just in case.

The update dvd is $199 from GM, but I have no idea how effective it is.

#4 ·
You can update the OnStar to digital through a dealer. No need to convert to Bluetooth if that's your wish. There was a grace period for 2001+ OnStar conversion, but now you'll have to pay extra bucks for the module and subscription change. GM dealer only.

The analog OnStar system used an antenna with the loading coil up in the middle portion of the little rear window whip. The digital conversion uses a whip with the loading coil down near the base of the little whip.

1.5 hours at a dealer and a credit card for a years' subscription, + any additional phone minutes - look at the OnStar website for specials and minutes packages.

While the GM NAV system is fun: as posted, aftermarket systems like the Garmin are a lot less expensive, cheaper to update, and one hell of a lot more user friendly.

#7 ·
2002+ is able to upgrade to digital OnStar. Probably around $150 + subscription now - a dealer can give a quote. (My upgrade cost $15 in 2006 - but that's long gone.)

OEM sound system - It does NOT sound like the one-note ghetto blaster thump boxes with a tinny top end. "The music" generally sounds like.................music.

If you want to create an urban canyon thumper then you'll need some good install advice.........and remember that the OEM head unit is part of the theft lock and data transmission system loop - there are special harness, amp, head unit, and bypass considerations.

#8 ·
I plan to leave the sound system stock. Its a Bose so it probably sounds better than any other GM stock sound system.
So your saying that the onstar upgrade is still available..... Thats good news, and not a bad deal for $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.