Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Power steering high pressure line replacement

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  fleishman 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I need to replace the power steering high pressure line that runs from the back of the pump, down the passenger's side of the engine compartment and across the frame rail to the rack on the driver's side. It has rusted through where it crosses the frame rail and hemorrhaged.

I believe I have found the correct part:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NPS72983_0249315054&An=599001+101997+50010+2010012
The picture of the napa part (same photo on rockauto) does not show the sensor connection that is on the line under my car, just after the black hose meets the steel line. I have not seen the part in person yet.

Does anyone have any experience replacing this part? I have read through previous forums and found good instructions for the removal and installation yet none reference this sensor connection. I didn't think that anything power steering related was monitored, what is that sensor for?

#2 ·
I just put one from Autozone on my 01 STS.... neither the old line from the car nor the new line had anywhere for a sensor.... my new line looked just like the pic you linked to.... maybe they removed the sensor in the 98+ cars and that line is for 98+?

#4 ·
I gave up. I can't drop the cradle without a lift and the right tools. Without dropping the cradle I can't get a wrench on the ps line at the rack. I even whipped out the torch and bent up two different wrench variations to wiggle in there to no avail.

The truck will be here in the morning to remove my car, and my pride as a man, to the mechanics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.