Aux Jack input - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Aux Jack input in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Why do you need the CD changer if you have the iPhone?...
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Why do you need the CD changer if you have the iPhone?

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    Yeah, I guess I really don't...

There's been the same 12 CDs in there for years, lol

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Aux Jack input

Guys, be very careful with the CD changer and the CD changer aftermarket replacement devices.
    Between '96 and '02 (early into the production year), the HU was communicating with the CD changer using a dedicated line called "E&D Data line".
    The 6 and 12 disk changers used during this time (the E&D data line times) are 100% compatible. The 12 Disk changers were used on the '96-'97 Seville, '96-'99 Deville and '96-'02 Eldorado (in the Cadillac world, in the GM world it was used in Pontiac, Corvette and so on). The 6 Disk changer was introduced in '98 and was used in the '98-'02 Seville and '00-'02 Deville. Early in the '02 production year the HU and the CD changer was upgraded and the E&D Data line was discarded being replaced with the car data line. The CD changers working on the car data line were only available in the 6 Disk version. I can not express how much difference this makes. You can recognize the newer HU based on the RDS logo, now is white and smaller, in the older HU ('98+) the RDS logo was yellow and larger.
    So if you find some aftermarket device that replaces the CD changer and the seller claims it works for '98-'03 Seville at least ask questions. And if it works in '98+ Seville there is no reason why is not working in a '96-'97 Seville or in '96+ Eldorado or '96-'99 Deville.
    Also the Data line CD changer shares the same Audio line with the Digital Radio module. Basically the new (white RDS logo HU) commands on the data line the CD changer ON and the Digital radio OFF (if equipped). The AMP still listen to the same audio line input, just that the HU makes sure only one of the 2 devices tapped on this line is producing audio signal. Is a brilliantly simple idea.
    Anyway just pay attention on what you spend your money.
    GizmoQ and GizmoQ like this.

So, it's the HU with the yellow RDS logo that is 100% compatible?

It is a bit confusing after looking around online...
    The adapter thing for the ipod/iphone plugs into the CD changer harness in the trunk.
    Then the iphone cable plugs into the adapter, and you run the cable wherever you want.

Every place tells me that it needs cable PXHGM2 to connect adapter to the CD changer harness:
    a3ff_35.JPG

Doesn't look quite right to me- but it must just plug into half of it I guess...

I also keep seeing
    "1995-1999 Radios with built in CD player (Except Corvette) are not compatible, because they do not have CD changer control functions"
    But I do have changer control functions so I think it'd be ok

Seamaster_007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS
    Quote Originally Posted by consigliori View Post
    My plan makes it kinda a pain to skip tracks and such...
    With iPhone plugged into the bottom of the ashtray like that

The more I think about it, the idea of controlling it with the steering wheel sounds better and better
    I don't really want to sacrifice the cd changer, but I just might have to

Man, I'm really unsure about all of it now
    Simple fix; jailbreak your iPhone and install an application called activator. This allows you to assign any command to any physical button on the iPhone. For example, I set my iPod to skip to the next track by double tapping the home button.

As you plan to have the dock connector at the bottom, you'd have to figure out what buttons would be accessible once you put your phone in the ashtray. I'm thinking both the volume buttons may still be accessible, you could set it so when you press both buttons simultaneously it would skip to the next track. You could also set it so that double tapping the power button skips to next track, and a short depress and hold of same button goes back a track.

That's awesome! And I've been thinking about jailbreaking my phone recently anyway! Gave me another reason.

That is most definitely an option, makes it about even I think - thank you for that information!

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Just one thing...don't try to do something to the car specific to the phone you have now, think how long till you get bored with it and move to another phone (1 year, maybe 2 years). The car is for longer...

Excellent point

The only bitch I have about my phone is that I'm running outta room. And I'm not sure you can do anything about that on an iPhone 4....

But you're correct, I'll probably have a different phone before I stop driving this car

Seamaster_007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Just one thing...don't try to do something to the car specific to the phone you have now, think how long till you get bored with it and move to another phone (1 year, maybe 2 years). The car is for longer...
    Haha, you're totally correct N*, good point, I totally forgot about that fact. So to the original poster, give it some very careful thought before drill or mount your iPhone connector in the base!! All new Apple handheld products have switched to a new style plug anyways (you're probably aware of this) At least if you just have a 3.5mm jack, that is almost completely universal across all devices.

I own an Android phone, but I prefer Apple's audio application interface simply for ease of use. Seeing how my iPod fits in the ash tray absolutely perfect, I doubt I will upgrade any time soon, it's just for playing music anyways. But with the 3.5mm jack I can also plug in my phone anytime too, works great for having the navigation instructions play through the factory stereo

But yeah...definitely jailbreak that phone too, Apple is far too restrictive, takes all the fun out of it!

2008DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS 2002 Deville

hello,
    I have a 2002 Deville Base and the radio is different than the one you are describing. Can you let me know if this can still be accomplished in the same way with the same connections? I was hoping my PTY button could be a source since when I push the button the message states no satellite available. As I said this is a base Deville without an aux cd changer.

Thank you again,

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    For the people who are relatively electronically inclined and have access to a good soldering station here are the step by step instructions how to add a hard wired AUX input to your OEM base ’96 and up sound system:

1. You need to remove the HU (or some may refer it as stereo). There are plenty of post about how to remove the stereo (see here how)
    2. You need to remove the top and the bottom covers of the HU case:

3. Rest the HU on the up right position and remove the tape module by disconnecting the 2 connectors and removing the 3 screws shown in the picture bellow

4. Remove the volume knob (stereo in OFF position) by pulling the knob straight out then unscrew the nut behind the volume knob:

5. Remove the fort fascia of the HU by carefully releasing the 6 (2 on top and 2 on each side) very fragile clips. Use small shims to hold the clips unhooked, when all 6 have shims pull the top side of the fascia out just enough so the clips are half way out then turn the HU upside-down and observe the other 2 clips that need to release by pressing in. Once released carefully pull the fascia out (comes out with buttons and all).

6. It is recommended to remove the front fascia metal backing to get better access to the audio processor. This is done by removing the 4 screws (2 on each side) and the one single screw on the bottom of the main PCB (on the passenger side of the HU visible with the HU upside-down and bottom cover removed – can not be missed). Then is a matter of disconnecting the Volume/ON-OFF connector from the HU main PCB end and releasing the front PCB controls connector witch disconnects from the front fascia when removed but remains attached to the metal backing plate due to the plastic sleeve.
    7. At this point you have plenty of space to access the audio processor. Notice on the driver’s side of the HU a heat sink with 2 chips attached, those are the final amplifiers. On the middle of the plate is a large metal cover and on the drivers side is another PCB with a metal cover (this vertical PCB is the Radio module). Now that you are familiarized with the mother board, looking to the HU (or what ever remained of it) as you are in the diver seat on the area between the big metal cover in the center of the board and the heat sink with the final amplifiers locate a square 32 pins chip with 8 pins on each side. See the picture below in the top right medallion is a view of the mother board and the chip is highlighted with a yellow circle.

8. Follow EXACTLY the diagram above to connect the jack connector to the sound processor. In the top side of the diagram you have a very accurate representation of the components around the sound processor chip so you can easily identify the points where you need to attach the wires to the jack connector (again I can NOT express enough how important is to connect exactly as I indicated in the image or your HU will stop working completely – no more sound!). The red tracts labeled Left/Right channels are the audio tracts. VERY IMPORTANT look carefully where the red wires connect to the audio processor area. Notice the YELLOW conductive tracts are? You need to carefully cut them off scratching the PCB with the tip of a stronger needle. Be very careful so the needle does not damage anything else and also verify there is no more contact once the conduit tract was cut. Verify with the ohmmeter to find a GND connection point for the GND pin of the jack connector. A GND point is any point that measure 1 ohm or less from the HU cover or the large metal cover on the center of the PCB (hint, see were the cover is soldered on the PCB).
    9. This step is optional: on the bottom side of the image you will surely recognize the HU display. Notice the green lines? If you connect wires as indicated (with the green lines) then you have the convenience of turning ON the WX logo on the screen every time the AUX connector jack is in. Just match the display pins with the ones shown in my diagram.
    10. I would strongly recommend to locate the jack connector on the front fascia on the right side of the tape EJECT button (see the picture in my previous posts). It is the perfect spot to locate the jack connector (is like it was designed for this). First remove the PCB from the fascia (is a matter of 8 easily accessible screws) so you can see the back of the plastic face where the jack will be located. You will need to drill a hole in the fascia (measure 10 times drill once). Start with a small M3 drill bit then gradually increase the diameter until the hole is just large enough so the jack ring fit snugly (some inside trimming of the plastic fascia is required to bring the ring flush with the outer surface). The Jack connector is about 2 mm larger than the space behind the plastic fascia so you need to cut a small port in the front PCB directly behind the location of the jack connector (again measure 10 times cut once). If you look at the PCB there is no circuit in that area is just a blank area (shielded). Then jack connector is to be mounted on a PCB cut to exactly the same dimensions as the pin area of the jack connector and my recommendation is to solder this small PCB on the front PCB. Make sure is flush with the front PCB so you can mount the fascia back on the metal backing.

Use 26 AWG wires for all connections and try to keep the wires no longer than 15 inches. It is important to use the IDENTICAL jack connector shown in the diagram. Should you not be able to find one then locate one that has at least 5 pins (one GND and 4 – 2 per channel). Using a ohmmeter identify the pin on each channel that has continuity to the jack male connector corresponding channel (when inserted). That pin is connected to the capacitor side and the other one connects to the chip output. Here is the chip pin description (in the same position as in the diagram above):

Please note the chip is covered with a layer of silicon. You will have to carefully clean up the silicon using a small blade or a needle.
    DO NOT attempt this unless you are SUPER confident in your electronics abilities or you can permanently damage the HU.

Been using the iPhone adapter that plugs into the cd changer harness for awhile now. It works great, love using the steering wheel switches to control volume & track forward/back. I ran the cord to the front and up through the dash into the back of the ashtray. Just plug my phone in and go. Very clean

Only pain is that you have to hit play before plugging it in, cu you can't reach it when it's in there. So if you turn off the car for gas or something you have to unplug it and hit play.
    Jailbreaking might fix that by being able to use the top button maybe- havnt looked far enough into it yet...

The changer is still in the trunk so I can unplug one and switch to the other. Even made a splitter harness in long shot hopes of plugging both in and incorporating some kind of switch between them. I didn't think it would work, and it didn't.
    Honestly though, I haven't even used the changer since.

dvo816 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 STS (Z-Rated & studded)

I still have the original AUX input that N* Caddy made for me a couple years ago, but I took it out when I upgraded my HU. If anyone wants to buy it shoot me a PM.

jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

NCaddy,

I have a Bose system with the 12 CD changer in the trunk, one in the dash and also a tape player on my 98 Eldo. Can this procedure work for my car and will it allow me to connect my IPod?

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dvo816 View Post
    I still have the original AUX input that N* Caddy made for me a couple years ago, but I took it out when I upgraded my HU. If anyone wants to buy it shoot me a PM.
    Do you have the Bose w/CD changer??

PM Sent!!
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

2008DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS 2002 Deville

Hi,
    I have a 2002 Deville w/o the Bose system and no cd changer. Will this work on my car?
    PM sent

Thanks,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.