transmission and other problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, transmission and other problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; well guys sill unsure whatto do about my car..one guy at aamco tells me that its the shift selonoid blocks ...
    jonscat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Eldorado ETC

Angry transmission and other problems

well guys sill unsure whatto do about my car..one guy at aamco tells me that its the shift selonoid blocks and there are 4 that need replacing for 749.00 hes 90percent sure this wiil correct the problem,and if notthen rebuilt is in order fpr 1300.00 plus what ever they find is wromg when the pull it out,cost not to exceed 2100.00,this was thurs of last week.I told him i would come by friday AM to discuss issue but when i got there he was out sick and a different manager was there from the store downtown,he immediatly informed me that i needed to rebuid the tranny as the other guy was new to this and really didn't know what he was talking about,that he trained the other guy and he had only been on the job for 2 months(so being the smartass i am i said well does'nt say much for your training abilities)so i call back yesterday and get the first guy again that says his tech tells him hes 90 percent sure he can fix it for 749.00 and then if that does'nt do it we will pursue the rebuilt way of fixing it.I am going in for surgey on monday and told this guy i needed th car fixed as cheap as possible-and he seems like a nice guy.Who do you believe in a case like this??? my low oil pressure issue was resolved by putting a thicker weight oil in the car,last guy had put 5w and the car has always had 10w run in it,so now she has 20w in it.Any help out there would be appreciated. John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jjbuckley is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: transmission and other problems

What codes do you get? Post them here so that we can help you out. And to my knowledge the are only 2 shift solenoids, you have other solenoids in the trans of course, but you have to pull the tranny out to replace those. The 2 shift solenoids are the only ones you can change with out removing the transmission.

fredcrn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

John,
    Aamco will rip you off! I had a problem a while back with my Jeep making a growling noise which seemed to be from the front end of the drivetrain. I visited Aamco (first in the yellow pages and was new in town) and I too was impressed at how friendly they were. However, (lucky for me) someone else arrived at the same time and I couldn't help overhearing their conversation (he was yelling) about how inflated the price had become. The red flags were up, so I stalled and went to work and began to ask around for a reputable mechanic. I then went to a few of them and asked where they sent their drivetrain (tranny) work. Long story short (I know, too late) was told probably was universals (which it was) a $100 fix. Went back to Aamco and they tried to put me together with a $2000 front differential repair that was totally unnecessary. You be the judge.
    My .02
    Fred

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

First "red flag" is that there are only 2 shift solenoids not 4. I have heard others report getting them replaced for $300-$400. I would call around or ask for references from the dealer or other shops that don't do trans work. Get a second & third opinion and be sure they are familiar with the 4T80E transmission.

hey fred
    thanks for the reply..there are 4 solenoids in the transmission,you can only get to two of them without pulling the tranny out or so im told by a cadillac transmission guy that i spoke with today.this whole process has been a nightmare,makes me wonder if buying a caddy was the right thing to do,i see so many transmission problems on here as well as other issues,guess you take a chanse though with any thing you buy.take care john

jjbuckley is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

John,

Don't be so down on your Caddy, remember this is a site for help with problems. You can go to any car site (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Buick etc.) and look at their post and you are going to see the same thing 90% of the posts are for problems. We happen to drive very complex machines and problems are going to happen, we just have to be prepared and understand the stuff happens.

So as you read the post here or on other sites do not get down about it, think of it as a learning process, you can see what is going on and take steps to prevent it from =happening to your car, a good example is coolant system maintence on the older Caddies, and learning that you do not to have your tranny "flushed" you can change the fuild, but do not flush them, to many broken shift solenoids and have trash put in your system if the machine is not properly cared for.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

I have always heard bad stuff about Double A MCO. (Remember those commercials?) Do you wonder what the reason is for why you don't see those commercials anymore? I would stay away from all those big name trans shops. That includes Cottman. There is a guy I was turned on to by a few of my friends who had race cars or classic cars. I had him do my TH400 from my 72 Olds. He did a great job. I had him do my 4T80E a couple years ago and I have not had any problem. IMO, you find the better trans mechanics have there own place. Ask some of the older guys in your area if they know of any.

SevilleSTSJerome is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the guys at Cottman replace my Shift selonoids in my 96 STS at a cost of $336.00 and that was about nine months..........no more problems since then.......and by the way I went in and told them I wanted it replaced because another shop had told me it needed to be replaced......The guys at Cottman took the car for a ride and when they returned I was told I didn't need a new trans but they would replace it if I wanted them to but they thought it was the shift selonoids which it turned out to be just that.......so I must say let's not put down all the guys at the big trans shops because they really did me right.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Yeah, I shouldn't put them all down. There are probably some good, honest people at some of those Aamcos also.

well guys i had the car towed to another trans shop today,after speaking with a mechanic at a GM dealer that says hes positive its the shift selonoids1-2.so i tell aamco that i want them to replace two and they say we either do all 4 or we dont do the work.told them to kiss my ass and had it towed away before they could blink.will let you know how it goes. John

Henrik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 1995 ETC

It pays to be an educated customer, and this forum makes that possible (at least for me). I just experienced the shift solonoid (code P029/PO94 no 2-3 shift) problem. Based on all the valuable information I found in this forum I went to www.gmpartsdirect.com and bought the solonoid valve kit (ACDelco P/N 24211355). I asked the local GM dealer but they would not do the work since I bought the parts elsewhere (from GM!). I went to a local transmission shop and gave them a description of the service I was looking for. I have enclosed an excerpt of my instruction letter at the bottom of this note. The total price came to approx. $350 ($50 for the Solenoids and $300 for the work, fluid etc). The transmission works great again. The guy at the transmission shop told me he had to call GM for an explanation on exactly where the retainer was supposed to go. He told me it was not evident from looking at the parts. If some of you can supply that extra little bit of information, you should probably update the letter in accordance.

======== Excerpt from letter ===================================
    To xxxx

I need to have my 1-2/2-3 shift solenoid valves replaced as follows. I have performed research based on onboard computer diagnostics (codes P029 and P094) as well as studying service manuals, the Internet etc.

Here is information from the Cadillac Technical Service Bulletin (TSB): All transaxles before 1996 must be serviced with a service kit - 1-2/2-3 shift solenoid valves. This kit, P/N 24211355 which I ordered from GMpartsdirect.com and provide to you, contains the following components:
    * the 1-2, 2-3 shift solenoid valves (2 identical solenoid valves),
    * the pressure control solenoid valve filter,
    * the pressure control solenoid valve fluid filter retainer and
    * the bolt to hold the retainer to the lower control valve body.

Note: All components in this kit must be used when servicing these transaxles.

The included bracket goes on top of the valve body, after the valve body has been removed from the transmission. The included bolt REPLACES the bolt that was previously used to hold the valve body together. The bolt is longer to compensate for the thickness of the enhanced bracket, and still provide complete thread engagement. This bracket prevents the filter from coming out due to line pressure and/or wear of the rubber O-ring on the small filter.
    Thanks for your time and attention to this matter. Based on my research, this should be a 2-3 hour operation.

Best Regards XXX

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.