Replacing Brake Line
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Replacing Brake Line in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have to replace a piece of brake line. This line feeds the left rear. One end of the line ...
    firstimecaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville; 95 FWB

Replacing Brake Line

I have to replace a piece of brake line. This line feeds the left rear. One end of the line bolts into the proportioner valve and the other end to the brake hose leadind to the caliper. The piece that came off (cracked and leaking brake fluid) is a U shaped piece. Went to local supplier and they sold me a straight piece. So the question, how can I bend this piece of pipe to the required U shape without compromising the passageway within. I have only the basic hand tools.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): (his) '98 SLS - 195K 09/2011 - (hers) 2012 Ford Escape

Re: Replacing Brake Line

Pick up a brake line bender tool from your local parts store. Here's one from amazon, mine looks like this one.

Amazon.com: Brake Line Tube Bender: Automotive

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

most parts store brake line can be bent by hand, the tool does help though, if its alluminum color line you have to use the tool

Did you find an exact replacement? I replaced this line and some others on my 94 sls and it was quite an adventure, about 4 different size fittings......at least you dont have to do the 11mm one at the abs unit that no one has available

it must be the line thats about 3" long that you are replacing??

yeah it would have been about 3/4 inches long if straightened out. But the replacement that I got is steel. I was thinking of using a piece of pipe that I have to bend it around. The piece that I got is 8 inches long, the smallest piece that the store had available. Yes talk about an adventure, I could not believe the location of that valve. And yes there are about a million different fittings, but the store had a selection of "females" and I had to check the fitting that I brought with me and the fitting on the piece of pipe till they both worked in the same "female"

make sure you got bubble flare, not double flare fittings

make sure you are using metric thread, us thread turns in and seems to work until you go to tighten it

that was very frustrating, i had about $300 of brake lines before i had everything i needed, first i bought the us thread though......stupid how close in pitch and size they are.

New question: how can broken brake line be joined?

you join it by replacing that line..............no! do not try compression fittings.....

approx how many feet of pipe would be needed to route from left rear proportioner valve to the nearest joint /fitting? And where is that joint/fitting located?

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

You can buy a brake line union. You cut out the bad part of the line, slip part of the union onto the line, flare the line with a flare tool, and add the union. You do not have to replace the entire length of line. It is actually easier than it sounds. I had to do it on the left rear brake line of my '02 SLS. It rusted away where it crosses from the right side of the car just in front of the rear cradle.

Don

thats the problem, if it rusted away you should replace the whole line, it will give you problems later.

If you get the flare tool, i suppose you can do a regular flare, but if you do the bubble flare, the tool is very expensive and parts store dont carrry the line ends.

which part are you talking about, from the valve to the front of car? It goes all the way to the abs module under your airbox in the engine compartment

Im pretty sure the valve at my left rear, was for the right rear brake.......my left rear prop vavle was up by the engine bay.

I replaced both lines from abs unit back to that rear valve location, am im pretty sure your 94 was about like mine and splicing is a temp fix. Only issue is one of the fitting on the abs unit is 11mm and no one carries that line or end.

the proportioner valve for the left rear is lodged up there between the frame and suspension apparatus. I am sure of this. Anyway the pipe leads from the valve to the front(ABS unit) of the car is broken and it is broken right there at the fitting. The line that I am concerned about right now is not rusted this is why I am considering making a joint.

So it is one piece of pipe from ABS unit to p valve?
    and what is this flaring tool?

first you need to find an end, unless you can reuse the one you have.

cut the line, put your end on, the flare tool will be in any auto parts store with the brake lines, but it will be a standard flare or double flare (not a bubble flare) You have to flare the line after the end is slid onto it. Then buy the coupler and a new piece of line to make it to the prop block, how long is your call, cut where needed once you get back with whatever length line will make it easier (like dont splice it up in there by the prop block) splice it down by the fuel lines or something thats easily accessable.

what is the difference between bubble flare and standard or double flare. As far as advantages/disadvantages is concerned.

What if I just flare the broken end and reconnect to prop block? It is broken so close to the prop block, that I think I can get away with doing that.

this is the broken piece and the fitting.

this shows where it is broken from.

So how can this be fixed?

this is what you need to do.

For sure when you reuse the bubble flare fitting at the block (and your going to have to use bubble flare here) you will need to put the fitting on the new piece of line, then get the bubble flare tool ( this tool is between $80 and $180) and create the flare.

And as long as you have to use bubble flare there, you might as well use bubble flare at the other purple fittings and the butt connector, since you will already have the tool anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.