96 sls
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 96 sls in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As a long time member, and many questions answered by this group, I felt an obligation to pass on what ...
    Vern Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 96 SLS

Smile 96 sls

As a long time member, and many questions answered by this group, I felt an obligation to pass on what I have recently experienced.
    Four or five years ago I installed Goodyear Viva tires, from Walmart, and had I felt exceptional service. It was time for a new set, so I purchased again the Goodyear, but with model name Viva "Authority". This was advertise by Goodyear that you would gain X amount of fuel savings over the life of the tire.
    I have always been satisfied with the MPG which was on the road or highway driving from 24 up to 28.
    We had an occasion to take two round trips from Bullhead City to Qaurtzite, AZ. The first trip of 232 miles the display showed 34.7 MPG Ave.
    The second, I filled the tank "top off" to double check. Again the display showed 35.1 and used 6.64 gallons.
    The only change in the car was the tires.
    From the start I felt that there was less effort to maintain speed, but it could have been imagination.
    Anyway, I hope I have not bored you with this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevo_x is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS

Re: 96 sls

were you driving downhill the whole way?

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

I don't know what elevation you are at but I have observed aprox. 2 mpg gain driving across I-40 AZ & NM due to higher(4000-5000ft) elevations. I must admit it sounds farfetched to go 35 mi. on a gal. in a +4000lb 4 door 275hp caddy. To atribute this to a tire makes me want to find factual unbiased data about this GY "Viva" tire. Thats like a 6 or 7mpg gain. To gain 1 mpg gauranteed would be huge. Those trips accross I-40 in the 96 Eldo yielded me 29+mpg non stop fill ups. Normal being 26-28 mpg Fill up to fill up.

Vern Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 96 SLS

Hey, I agree with you, I would have not believed it either.
    It is a very flat run thru desert, a few small hills, and either trip, there was no wind.
    Going to Las Vegas, next week, and double check again. As I said before there was a couple of times thru the years that I showed 28mpg.
    The second trip I filled and filled to back it up and thats what it figured.
    Don;t make sense to me either, but will try it again in a different direction.
    Bare with me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.