Flushed p/s with dex.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Flushed p/s with dex. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have flushed my P/S system on the 96 N* after observing filthy black oil in the resivoir. I have ...
    johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Flushed p/s with dex.

I have flushed my P/S system on the 96 N* after observing filthy black oil in the resivoir. I have completely flushed it with Walmart supertech dexII/III/Mercon ATF oil. All is seemingly good....... Will there be consequence to not using the recommended GM part # 1052884 in a pint or GM part # 1050017 in a qt.? Also, And why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Flushed p/s with dex.

Will there be consequence to not using the recommended GM part # 1052884 in a pint or GM part # 1050017 in a qt.?
    I doubt it.

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

Are you planning on running the PS on ATF or are you planning on putting PS fluid in it?

If you're asking if you can use aftermarket PS fluid, I've been using Pennzoil PS fluid (with no stop leak) in my caddy for about a year with no issues. I seem to remember the GM PS fluid was about 10 a quart when I bought it last, and the aftermarket stuff I've been using is about 2.50 a quart.

I was planning on leaving it alone. Some have posted that problems will arise and this is a forbidden practice, and I searched here & elsewhere for longer than was absolutely necessary and found no clear answers on the subject. Every link in search threads is broken. There are those who insist that ATF oil is not P/S oil and iminate doom lurks around the corner. Frankly I'm not feeling the urgency but don't want to have to change out a rack or pump. BMW uses Dextron as the P/S oil out of the factory & recommends it. GM does not. What are the differences that would disqualify Walmart DexII/III Mercon ATF oil as a subsitute for the GM p/s oil ?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kannapo View Post
    ....What are the differences that would disqualify Walmart DexII/III Mercon ATF oil as a subsitute for the GM p/s oil ?
    Dexron III or Dexron VI are not power steering fluids according to the ASTM specification for the valves, seals, and hoses used in GM magnasteer systems.

The GM specified fluid is a clear mineral oil containing an anti-foaming agent and other unidentified additives.

Valvoline SYNPOWER power steering fluid claims to meet the GM power steering fluid ASTM standard.

It's your car and your money.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

For what it's worth (and that may not be much), years ago we always used ATF in the P/S. May have even been recommended, I can't remember. I doubt P/S pumps have changed much over the years. I probably would not use it or recommend it today, but likewise, not sure it would do any harm.

Thanks Jim, Finally a reason why, Magnasteer. I'm taking a peek at this early system an came to the conclusion that I don't want to mess up this rack. I need to change out this fluid. I have run it 1000 miles w/atf no problems knock on wood. I'll see whats compatible out there. www.bobistheoilguy.com

I was looking into this Magnasteer system it being 96 the first year offered in the ETC & ESC. Having the ESC model I took note that the ESC model RPO NV7 for "Variable Effort" steering that was offered in Cad's from 1991 thru 2010 and the ETC model RPO NV8 "Magnetic Speed Variable assist Mag". from 1996 thru 2008. according to the RPO website. What are the differnces between these systems? O'reilly has their store brand P/S fluid in a gal. jug for $12.99 meeting both GM specs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.