Tie rod end difference
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Tie rod end difference in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I ordered a set of outer Tie rod ends from rock auto. I got the MEVOTECH MES3452 I went ...
    blownki is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC

Tie rod end difference

So I ordered a set of outer Tie rod ends from rock auto.

I got the MEVOTECH MES3452

I went to put them on and I noticed that they were considerably shorter than the existing tie rod ends, so I did not make the switch. I wanted to ask about it first. How big of a difference will this make? It seems to be about an inch shorter for the connection to the inner tie rod. I am almost certain an alignment would be in order after a replacement like this. I was hoping that they would be almost exactly the same as stock and would not have to do alignment.
    I just ordered new bearings, cv assemblies, and stabilizer bar links for the front end. I need to replace all of these and figured I would do it all at once. I hope to figure out the tierods in time for the shipment of other parts and get to work on it ASAP.

Any advice would help, thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Tie rod end difference

The new tie rod ends should be very close, physically, to the OEM units. If the tie rod threaded end is appreciably shorter, then you have less "meat" for the adjustment threads to grab. Regardless, a tie rod end change always needs an alignment, at least for toe-in, because it's pratically impossible to measure and replace them to original length specs.

If your original toe-in is about 1/16" - 3/32", then if the new shorter ends require a 1/2" toe-in for them to fit, then kiss your front tires goodbye in a hurry.

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 03 ESCALADE

I would send the tie rod ends back and get ones that match, I replaced mine and they were exact replacements. Stay with "Moog" brand if you can.
    As long as you are doing all of that work you should go ahead and order the sway bar bushings (2 front and 2 rear). You have to remove the front sway bar from the end links to install them anyway and they are rather cheap. These alone made a world of difference in my ride, I had to get the fronts from the dealer though as nobody else carries them. Check the size of your sway bar first.
    Also, you can get the rear end links cheap from rockauto and they are an easy install.
    You will need an alignment after all of this is done, I dont care how careful you are.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

The most important dimension would be the ball tapered fastener. The angle being of most importance. The crown nut able to accept the cotter key. The jam nutted rod fastener(female)needs to be screwed on at the least the diameter of the threaded tie rod end for effective linear thread strength. It's common they are turned on well beyond that threshold for ajustability. I think it's in the neighborhood of 1/2 inch, 9/16, what ever the thread diameter is. The brand you mention I have never heard of and may be fine. My preferred replacement would be Moog.

Ok, Im going to send the mevotechs back and get MOOG. Going to have to measure my sway bars for those bushings.

Exclamation Re: Tie rod end difference

Rock Auto is awesome! I ordered the bearings, cv halfshafts, and stabilizer bar links for the front end Friday morning and they just arrived about 30 minutes ago. I used standard shipping and got them next day. I have gone through the packages and checked all of the parts. One half shaft came with the spindle nut on it and the other had one loose. The loose nut does not fit. Since I need to go to the parts store for grease and a socket I will just pick up a nut at the store.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the lubricant to use on the splines of the half shaft? A grease for the oil seal meet-up?

Also, what other parts should I replace on the front end that would be critical for the work I am doing? I plan to get replacement shock/struts in a month or so, but for now I need to fix the CV, bearings, stabilizer bar links, and the tie rod ends. There are other bushings in the front end that I can tell will need to be replaced, but they still have some life left in them. I just remembered that Carvone suggested replacing the sway bar bushings while I'm at it, I will look for those as well.

Any other suggested replacements and advice on lubricants to use would be great.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the lubricant to use on the splines of the half shaft?
    I don't think it is critical. Any grease should work fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.