Help with FPR Vacuum Line ASAP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help with FPR Vacuum Line ASAP! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I went out to check my FPR to see if it was bad this morning. While taking the vacuum line ...
    stevo_x is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS

Help with FPR Vacuum Line ASAP!

I went out to check my FPR to see if it was bad this morning. While taking the vacuum line of it snapped. Not just one piece like snap a chunk out between both ends. So I get the rubber boot and what's left off the FPR then I feel around and find the other rubber part and chunk thats left. I figure that part is just attached to a nipple and I can pull it off, run to the parts store and pick up a new vacuum line.

I finally pull that part off and find out that its not a nipple. Its still plastic line running into intake(?) not sure what that whole housing is. So I dont have the resources or time to take it all apart. I ran it up to my local shop that I get work done. They call and say that the vacuum line runs into the plastic intake plenum and that I need to try and find one.

Anyone know what actual part I need and where I could find it. Maybe someone has a diagram I can look at with parts numbers. I've already tried looking on gmpartsdirect and can find any diagram. I'm at a loss and need to get this fixed asap. They called back said that for sure I need my whole upper intake plenum. Can anyone verify that and possibly have a part number?

I know this is long and I appreciate the help. I'm ready to bash my head into a wall....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help with FPR Vacuum Line ASAP!

After doing some searching on here it looks like the intake plenum is actually called the intake manifold. I found one new on ebay for around 110 shipped. They're 300 or so on gmpartsdirect.

Next question: My car is still running and driving with this vacuum line not hooked up. I had to drive it to the shop. What would be the consequences of not having this hooked up and still driving it? I might be able to borrow a car but I have 2 jobs and need to get around. This would be just until the intake comes in.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The Fuel Pressure Regulator does just that: It controls fuel pressure to the injectors based on power demands (manifold vacuum) of the engine. Run without it and you risk grossly out-of-spec air/fuel mixtures.

You can easily substitute a piece of vacuum hose for the plastic line and connectors - any parts house, tubing on the "Help !" blister pack racks. Nipple broken off the manifold?? Drill out the broken hole and 2-part epoxy in a new nipple - same place - the various vacuum fittings on the "Help !" racks.

Older parts houses had a stack of drawers of Weatherhead fittings. They used to make a series of replacement brass nipples with threaded shanks and retainer nuts. Ask your mechanic - he doesn't seem very resourceful.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I find it rather unlikely that you need to replace the entire manifold as opposed to just a vacuum line, but I haven't seen it.

I found a manifold at a local junkyard for 60 bucks. The nipple broke off. I dont get off till later tonight but I'll prob pull the intake manifold and see what I can do about putting a new nipple on there. I know those brass nipples your talking about. If I didnt have to work today this wouldnt have been such a big thing. I just didnt know and couldnt see where that nipple was attached to. My home pc shot the shit about a week ago and that doesnt make things any easier.

This website and the people on it have been a huge help in making owning this cadi easier.

One good thing is my FPR doesnt need replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I find it rather unlikely that you need to replace the entire manifold as opposed to just a vacuum line, but I haven't seen it.
    It's cause the actual nipple snapped off when I was trying to pull the rubber boot for the vacuum line off.

I can pick up the part at the junkyard tomorrow but probably cant install it until Saturday am. So if I drive my normal 20 miles to and from work and around 5 or so to the junkyard. What could I possibly harm by not having that vacuum line hooked up? I can borrow a car but its gonna be a big hassle to get it and return it. If all I'm gonna harm is my gas mileage im okay with that, but I just put new plugs and I dont want to foul em if my cars gonna be pushing too much gas.

WOW!! That is really unusual. You won't harm much. You may run a little lean and set some DTC's. Idle could be a little high. Might even run a little rough or erratic without fuel pressure regulation. You can solve most of that by plugging the hole in the intake where the nipple snapped off. Rubber or wooden plug or duct tape. Just be sure it is big enough so as not to get sucked in. Not much you can do about the lack of fuel pressure regulation, but I don't think it will hurt much for a short period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    WOW!! That is really unusual. You won't harm much. You may run a little lean and set some DTC's. Idle could be a little high. Might even run a little rough or erratic without fuel pressure regulation. You can solve most of that by plugging the hole in the intake where the nipple snapped off. Rubber or wooden plug or duct tape. Just be sure it is big enough so as not to get sucked in. Not much you can do about the lack of fuel pressure regulation, but I don't think it will hurt much for a short period.
    I may have been pulling and wiggling a little hard on it out of frustration. I think the vacuum line would have broke no matter what. Its plastic and super brittle.

If it is a clean break and you have the nipple, JB Weld might work as a repair. No stress on it. It just sits there, and JB Weld is some tough stuff.

Its just such a small hole to line up and hope it stays. For 60 bucks i dont see replacing it too big of a deal. From what I gather the nipple is actually on the upper plastic cover of the intake manifold. From the diagram i saw it seems that 2 bolts is all its going to take to get that off. Is there more to it than I'm seeing?

There is more than two bolts holding the intake manifold on. You'll also have to remove the fuel rail to get the intake off. Be sure to depressurize it first.

Is it odd that my car is running just as good and even starting a little better without this vacuum line hooked up? I'm geussing this could mean my car possibly does have a bad fpr and/or there was a leak in my intake manifold and there wasnt proper vacuum to begin with.

I just had the plugs changed and havent had a chance to drive it since wednesday night so that could account for some of it. My car is getting good mpg as well. A little better than I have been getting in single digit temps and snow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.