Awful noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Awful noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am new here and this site is a bit overwhelming. If this should go in another section, please let ...
    Caddy465 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS

Awful noise

I am new here and this site is a bit overwhelming. If this should go in another section, please let me know.

I have a couple of problems and do not know if the two are related:

I own a 2001 Seville SLS. I was recently told that I my torque converter clutch solenoid was sticking. That explains why I can be going 15mph and the RPM is well over 3000. I think that also explains why the car won't run idle sometimes. I am getting this fixed in the next week or so.

Just the other night we were riding down the road and I commented to my wife on how loud the car in front of us was. It wasn't until the next day that I realized that the noise we were hearing was our car.

Here are a few things regarding this dreadful noise:

-It sounds like a dirtbike
    -There is no correlation between the noise and how far down I'm holding the accelerator. It doesn't make the noise in neutral.
    -If I'm going down a hill with my foot off the accelerator and the car speeds up, the noise becomes more intense.
    -The noise is somehow related to the speed of the vehicle rather than the engine RPM.

I've checked around the tires and there is nothing there. I'm not entirely certain where the noise is coming from since the car only makes the noise when going down the road at 40mph or more. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Awful noise

The torque converter clutch (TCC) should only cause about a 200 -300 RPM difference and only above 41 MPH. If it failed it should set a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code). See the sticky at the top of the forum page for instructions on how to pull them. Your problem sounds a little more like a trans problem, though they are pretty reliable.

BTW you are in the right place and

Thanks for that! I have learned quite a bit from this site already.

I went out to my car and pulled codes (was planning on taking it to AutoZone today so that saved me a trip). I got a P0741 code. I have read a lot of stuff about this code. A mechanic told me that I could just replace the TCC solenoid. However, based on some stuff I've been reading on here it seems that I will have to replace the torque converter. Is that right?

Also, I accidentally cleared the codes. Will they come back?

I'm still curious as to what is causing the noise. I've been having trouble with the transmission for a while. This noise just started. I may go ahead and take it to a mechanic.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

P0741 could be the solenoid - a big job to replace, or seals/internal hydraulic leaks - a big job to repair, or could be the TC, and even bigger job to replace.

I'm still in the dark about the noise my car is making.

-It sounds like a dirtbike
    -There is no correlation between the noise and how far down I'm holding the accelerator. It doesn't make the noise in neutral.
    -If I'm going down a hill with my foot off the accelerator and the car speeds up, the noise becomes more intense.
    -The noise is somehow related to the speed of the vehicle rather than the engine RPM.

Could it be the wheel bearings? I have no idea what that would sound like.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It's either wheel bearing capsules (all one sealed unit - no separate bearings) or CV joint(s).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are you sure it is not the splash shield underneath flapping in the wind? kind of far fetched, but worth a peek.

mwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Lux I. 1997 ETC (Sold)

I have had wheel bearing failures with my car and it is a noise like no other. Worth checking out. Sometimes there will be movement with the car jacked up and other times you have to have the bearing in your hand and rotate it to feel the roughness. I have learned to buy the higher quality USA bearings as the off brand bearings will only last about 20,000 miles on the front.

Well, I had my car checked out. I was told that it was the wheel bearings. My brother just replaced his and he is going to do mine. I have a question though:

Do I get the one with the plastic sensor wire clip or the steel sensor wire clip? The man at AutoZone told me that it does matter which one I get. I don't know what's on there now. I guess the only way to know is to remove parts. Do all '01 Seville's have a certain kind or does it just depend on what was put on the car?

Thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There was a production line running change to the sensor and connector, but I'll be damned if I remember what the year change was.........look in www.rockauto.com or call Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac, over there >>>>

Don't buy cheap bearing capsules from Auto Zone !!! You'll be replacing them again in May.

Good capsules for your SLS will be at or over $150 apiece.

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Don't buy cheap bearing capsules from Auto Zone !!! You'll be replacing them again in May.
    um ya, been there done that, one lasted a week, the other lasted 4 months......

capsules?? nah they are called unit bearings

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

I bought USA made wheel bearings for my 2001 STS on eBay for $60...Lasted a good 50k.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.