Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brake Fluid and Traction Disabled

5K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  tateos 
#1 ·
Well, this is the first problem I have had with the car so far. I got in today, cranked her up, and low and behold, Traction Disabled and Check Brake Fluid warnings pop up. Also, the ABS and check engine lights came on. My brakes worked. There was pressure, they werent "squishy". Not sure what the crap to do. Here is a little background on my car...94 eldo, esc,....trunk has a leak somewhere (not sure if that has anything to do with the problem, wouldn't think it would, but it is an issue), just changed the oil about a month ago, and we just had frigid temps (20s) here in NC last night. I know I know, 20s isnt as cold as some places, but it is here in NC :)......I havent gotten the car stuck anywhere, and do not drive it hard. I have had the traction control activate only a few times due to rain. anyway, any advice or help that can be given is much appreciated.

#17 ·
T/C is accomplished by activating the ABS to control wheel spin, so low brake fluid MIGHT be the cause, although if that where the case, I would also expect to see the ABS light on as well, but who knows how the engineers tie these systems and messages together.

#28 ·
Now that you know the brake fluid was low, you also need to know that it is not "normal" to use or have to add brake fluid. There are only 2 reasons I can think of for the brake fluid level in the master cylinder to be low:

1: You have a leak - possible, but not as likely as:

2: Your brakes pads have worn down, the caliper pistons are extended, and that has caused your brake fluid level to drop. This is normal and to be expected - it just means you need a "brake job" - new pads - maybe the rotors turned or replaced - possibly the calipers rebuilt or replaced

So, when you get a chance, check out your brakes, or have them checked out.

#24 ·
Could old worn out brake fluid cause this as well? I've been getting the service stability system and my abs and traction lights come on. Only started when it got cold out and was really bad when it was -15 the other day. Mine could be low as well as I havent checked it but i was just wondering.

#26 ·
the ABS and TC are linked to your brake fluid level monitor.
i had a leak in my 94 brakes and when ever the LOW LEVEL would show up on my DIC it would also disable TC.
once toped up the light would go out.
happend every time it got low for about the week i had the leak.

#27 ·
You failed to mention if the brake fluid level was good.......This happend to my 96 an the car did the 2nd gear starts,ect.....the think the code was p0073. I went over many possible causes with no success. My brake fluid level was fine. The sensor is easily removed from the resivoir. un plug it and release the clip from the other side and it slides out to the driver side. I just wiped it off and snapped it back in and no more TC, abs, light, and the trans works normal again. The sensor is about $14 if it is actually defective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.