Very strange electrical problem, 92 Seville STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Very strange electrical problem, 92 Seville STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Last night I noticed the lights would go dim for a moment when hitting the brakes. Six months ago, the ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Very strange electrical problem, 92 Seville STS

Last night I noticed the lights would go dim for a moment when hitting the brakes. Six months ago, the alternator was replaced with a junkyard unit.

Then, as I was pulling into my parking space, it completely died. The car stalled and the computer reset itself, setting the temp back to 75 and resetting the trip computer as the display went blank. I restarted it and it was as if nothing happened.

Then, this morning it wouldn't start. I got a faint "ding" when I put the key in and nothing more. I took my other car to the bank and returned about 20 minutes later. I tried to start the Seville again and it turned on as if nothing happened.

I also noticed that while running, if I turn the key backward (towards me) about a half centimeter, the audible chime comes on.

Also, in the past, the car would very occasionally do nothing when I turned the key to start. The dashboard lights would remain on, but it would do nothing otherwise. Wouldnt spin the starter. Didnt make a sound. I'd have to try turning the key again once or twice and it would start.

Is there maybe a sticky relay? Or is the ignition switch loose/failing?

Much thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Very strange electrical problem, 92 Seville STS

Tried it again tonight. It acted like the battery was dead, chiming quietly/faintly when I put the key in. No interior lights.

I gave it a couple tries then put my foot on the brake pedal. Tried to start it again and its like the whole car suddenly came to life. Battery is 6 months old.

I'm stumped.

C0RSA1R is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 ETC Black 90k miles

I had a similar problem in my 97 Cutlass. The ground wire on the battery was corroded and I had to replace it. I believe the wire ran from the batt to the starter, and the wire itself was corroded sort of in the middle - the plastic sheathing had cracked and I guess the cable itself was rusting or something. I replaced the wire and it solved the problem. My car was not, however, shutting down while the engine was running - but the startup and lighting issues you describe are very similar.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sure sounds like a battery to me. Don't assume just because it's six months old that it is not the problem. Have it tested Jesda.

When I first looked at it, everything appeared to be fine, and I was worried there was some mysterious short somewhere. After reading both of your replies I started digging in there, wiggling every wire and cable I could get my hands on.

Turns out the screw holding the negative cable to the battery had come loose, but you'd never know it just looking. Explains why it was acting like the alternator was dying and why I had starting problems. Glad it was a quick fix, because its cold out there.

Thanks guys.

C0RSA1R is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 ETC Black 90k miles

Happy to hear you found the problem!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

carcrazed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado

It looks ok to add to this post, apologies in advance if i'm not using proper etiquette, but Jesda has described a very similar problem to mine except mine hasn't ever stalled. I went to the battery place and they said " it's not the battery if it's happening while running" "check the alternator"
    No Codes! (except the SO61- which I hear is common)
    Do you think this is really just a cable issue? Could it be a sign of battery or alternator going bad? Anyway to tell the difference if so?
    Thank you!

Which part is similar? The idle problem? The dimming lights? Not starting?

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

dimming lights ive seen on all caddy's ive been in, even after my new alternator on the eldo.

ive had the same thing happen with the reset and/or stall.......its usually just a loose cable or very corroded, mine has always just been loose, those damn little 8mm battery bolts are rediculous, i usually get out the big adjustable plier and crank em down using the large fat round part of the bolt, not the hex.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.