Help Buying a Cadillac STS 2003
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help Buying a Cadillac STS 2003 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am looking at Cadillac STS 2003, with 76k miles. Several things I want to ask. What problems should I ...
    va540 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Help Buying a Cadillac STS 2003

I am looking at Cadillac STS 2003, with 76k miles. Several things I want to ask.
    What problems should I be looking for?
    What is the scheduled maintenance that I will need to be doing for this car in the future? ie 90k or 100k checks, etc
    Any other advice for me?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddyshack100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP

Re: Help Buying a Cadillac STS 2003

Its a good buy, most of the bugs are worked out, you will get the F55 suspension which is considerable more reliable than the previous F45, have a look at the archives and start reading, most of the info is there that you need, look at the stickie on top on code pulling and when looking for your ride, you can then pull the codes and see for yourself if the car has any issues. Somethings to note however, the parts on this car are very expensive, if you can see if you can get the service records as the coolant system needs changing every five years, a 2003 should have had it done last year. Good hunting

buzz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 2008, SRX 2008

It's a pretty solid car. We have a 2003 STS with 98k + miles. At the present time, we are having some trouble with emission codes; i.e., P0101 which indicates poor MAF sensor performance. The car is scheduled for a visit to the shop next Tuesday, so hopefylly, we will have a resolution. Good luck.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

The 100K service includes spark plug replacement and transmission drain and filter replacement. For pre-2000 it also includes spark plug wire replacement but since an 03 is coil-on-plug I think you may need to replace the plug boots as well. If you're looking for mileage-specific major service bills like you find on ricers and BMWs there really are none with these cars. They like to sneak up on you with the surprise bills. That said I'll likely be shopping for an 03 STS or 04 SLS to replace my wife's car.

bacardi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '00 STS

I've always had luck bringing the car to a well known mechanic and have them write something with quotes of things that are going. Use that mechanic sheet as a way to milk a better deal.

Some things at about that mileage...Engine mounts, Outer tie rods, steering hose and you'll probably want to ask if the battery has ever been replaced. It's a somewhat unique battery and if you go to a random auto shop to have it replace, may run you $150. I found the battery over the summer for around $90. Just my $.02.

CoupeDeBlanc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DTS - 1989 Coupe de Ville (since sold)

Had an "opportunity" just the other day to jump-start an '03 and was wondering about the battery.
    It's under one of the seats, I take it? What type/size is it?

Thanks

Paul

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The battery in the 2000+ Sevilles is under the passenger side of the back seat. Push the seat pad rearward while lifting up, carefully disconnect the heated seat pigtail, also at the passenger side, and tilt the pad up and out. You'll find the rear fuse/relay box in there, too. Check those connectors, too.

It's a Group 79 unit with external end cap vent connections - small oval nipples at each end of the cell cap cover - which connect to a vent hose arrangement which goes through the floor pan. When you change it, wash out the vent tubing with baking soda and water, flush, dry - to neutralize any acid condensation. Check the ground cable stud on the floor pan - they have been known to corrode, giving some strange battery problems. If you even think it looks corroded, disconnect the cable, wire brush everything to bare metal and reconnect. Hit it with a shot of black Rustoleum.

Red.1998.SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 EXT 2wd; 2000 Deville; 2007 Dodge charger rt

for those with 1998+ sevilles battery is under rear seat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.