another driver mirror broken
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, another driver mirror broken in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was just reading a recent thread about the failed electrochromatic driver side mirror on here... of course it figures, ...
    mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

another driver mirror broken

I was just reading a recent thread about the failed electrochromatic driver side mirror on here... of course it figures, mine fails the same week. Went out this morning to clear off the snow and ice, saw the dreaded gold mirror I figure the cold temps caused the mirror's internal seal to break.

So, does the mirror glass itself get replaced, or am I replacing the whole assembly? And should I get a used one, or is this available from the dealer without replacing the whole thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: another driver mirror broken

The mirror alone is replaceable.

C0RSA1R is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 ETC Black 90k miles

Amen, I've been dealing with the same for about a month now. I took it through a harsh automatic carwash at a gas station (I was in a hurry and the car needed a quick job) and the next morning the driver-side mirror had a little patch of gold. It's now entirely gold, but it still functions alright as a mirror. I'm going to wait for winter to end before I replace it.

Ian-STS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

I had to replace the drivers mirror at the end of summer due to the same problem, it cost me over $200.00 just for the glass (heated version).

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

How does the glass get replaced? Does the mirror have to come off to take the glass out, or does it just pop out?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It just pops out. Turn the mirror all the way out so you can get a grip on it and pop it out. It's held in by 4 ball and sockets. One or each of the 4 directional actuators.

95ELDOETC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado ETC

I have the same problem. Where can I get a new mirror?

Ian-STS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

If you want all the features of the mirror before it failed you need to order a replacement from a GM / Cadillac dealer.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by 95ELDOETC View Post
    I have the same problem. Where can I get a new mirror?

Unless you want to pay dealer list of 238 for the glass alone, the junkyard or Ebay are your only options for a 94 to 97 mirror. There are 2 kinds of mirrors for those years, heated and heated and auto dim. You can buy a whole mirror on Ebay (any color body) for between 40 and 140 and just pull the mirror out and throw away the body (unless you get one that matches your color). you don't need to worry if the mirror is listed as having memory or not if your only using the glass. If you want to use the whole mirror, then you have to match it to your car. ie. if your car has the memory feature the mirror you buy has to have it as well.

Nightshadow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 White STS 3.6L V6 & 1995 V8 Red Eldorado ETC

Well that would explain why my mirror is in two colors... one is a darker tone and one is lighter, I thought something was peeling off the interior side.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Becasue the fluid that dims the mirror when electricity is run thru it is leaking out. Theres a layer of fluid between the outer glass and the inner reflective mirror. When the plastic around the mirror cracks (or the glass itself cracks) the fluid starts leaking out. Depending on where the crack is the fluid will keep leaking out until all you have is a clear mirror, or more likely you end up with a mirror that is half dark and half clear. Sometimes you can see the fluid dripping on the door right under the mirror. Its some kind of copper containing fluid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.